The Whatever Thread... for Recording!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

The Whatever Thread... for Recording!

Postby PlasticPeople » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:22 am

I figure we could use a casual thread for sharing our collective journey through the world of recording.

I've been using Ableton with a Presonus Interface (running direct in) for a few years and while I've grown to enjoy a speedy, simple recording process (with unlimited looping and overdubbing), I came to the realization that despite it's conveniences, I was spending a lot of time in overdub-land, trying way too many times to nail the track right. And when I did get it right my recordings still felt a bit lifeless.

I just got this cheap Fostex 4 track tape recorder on ebay. Not a lot of frills (or any kind of EQ) but it's tiny and it does have an aux send. I want to use it as my primary method of recording, and then bounce audio from tape to Ableton, where I can do the heavy lifting. I think it'll force me to better practice my phrases before I hit the "Record" button.

The dude I bought it from sent it with a Motown's Greatest Hits tape. I had a pleasant evening of listening to it played back at a higher speed, bouncing both sides to Ableton (a lot of good samples to be found) and then erasing it to make room for my giggles and shits.

Other potential uses:

*Tape loops?
*Sending stems back through pedals (via the aux send) for some post(ish) production effects.
*Can demo pedals the same way... a 4-track recording going through a pedal seems cool. Hearing a looped 8 second phrase for 8 minutes can be exhausting.
*Can make an actual honest-to-jeebus mixtape now. Now all I gotta do is make friends who actually listen to tapes :lol:

Plus (let's be real) I wanna push those inputs realllly hard. Wish I had Ohnoho's "Blowing Up" right now :grumpy:
Everything makes sense when you look at it from another way.
PlasticPeople

interested
interested

Re: The Whatever Thread... for Recording!

Postby fcknoise » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:37 am

That is sweet! Everything I'd want in a 4track basically.

Your list of things is totally legit, and it's actually very easy to drive the inputs on that thing so pick your guitar with highest output pickups and fire it up. Try making tape loops, extremely fiddley and if the whole preparing thing gets too much, then just record really long shit onto the 4 tracks. I have a tape with 4 chords that I recorded 30minutes each on, more than enough haha
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby baremountain » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:09 am

So I've been in a slump lately - I've been buying/flipping pedals pretty regularly (since July I've flipped a Super Radical Delay, Montreal Your & You're and Positive, & Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder, and have kept a Happiness, Pretty Years, 8-Step Program, Echo Degrader, and 856 for Zellersasn and also bought a new saxophone and amp), and most of my play-time has been noodling with the new pedz, trying to dial in cool settings and just figuring out how things interact with one another. I had been feeling pretty down about myself because while I've been recording most of these 'circle of trust'-type experiments, I haven't been re-listening or doing anything to make those recordings useful/turning them into songs.
Yesterday some friends came over to have me record/produce one of their songs for a compilation that some other friends are putting out. This was my second time working with them - the first time was for a full album (over the course of 2.5 days) and I was a little too Laissez-faire, leaving a few blemishes/gaps that I can't help but beating myself up over when I listen back. I'm proud to say that yesterday we worked from 10:30A to 5:30P with the band tracking parts, playing with microphone arrangements (we used 8 freakin mics on the drum kit for the final take), and dialing in settings on my pedals. We ended up with 46 tracks by the time they left, and one of the label-runners and myself did some outboard production with pedals (this was my first time applying this new routing skill to an actual project) and ended up with 57 tracks total.
Anyways, the (unmixed/mastered!!) song sounds *way* better than the album we did together, and is probably the most professional-sounding thing I've ever recorded. Beyond that even, it validated all the time I spent sitting in front of pedals dialing in sounds and was the perfect reminder of everything I love about the recording process and making music. I feel totally reinvigorated and plan to spend this afternoon turning one of the ideas I've been sitting on since I moved into my new house/studio into an actual song.
I've also got a session on Saturday and Sunday with an old band to record a song we haven't played in months for that same compilation and I'm just beyond stoked on that. I'll share the results when they're publishable, but I just needed to share how great it feels to have my motivation back.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:58 am

That's awesome dude! :thumb:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gnomethrone » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:20 pm

PlasticPeople: that 4 track looks rad.
Baremountian: stoked for you! sometimes you gotta hibernate for a little bit.

i found some dude on craigslist offering free recording sessions so he can practice with his analog recording rig. gonna lay down some tracks sarurday. i havent put anything down on tape in a long time so it should be fun. i'll report back with what his setup is like and what the results are.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:02 am

I'm trying to get my home recording game going to make some pleasantly lofi demos. Looking to get a Tascam dp-008 bc my computer situation is often frustrating. I have a sm57, I'd like to get a condenser mic for vocal and other instruments. Any recommendations? I've read lots of junk online, but it's nice to get some more personal opinions. I'd like to keep the condenser mic around 200 or less if possible.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm

The only condenser I have experience with it's a CAD M179, it worked very well for everything and I mainly got it because it has like 8 different patterns. I got it for like $120 a few years ago but they price went up recently for some reason.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby blakestree » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:30 pm

PeteeBee wrote:I'm trying to get my home recording game going to make some pleasantly lofi demos. Looking to get a Tascam dp-008 bc my computer situation is often frustrating. I have a sm57, I'd like to get a condenser mic for vocal and other instruments. Any recommendations? I've read lots of junk online, but it's nice to get some more personal opinions. I'd like to keep the condenser mic around 200 or less if possible.

I have a PGA181 that I'm pretty happy with. Also, I have a "like new" DP-03SD that I've been thinking about selling...
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into both. A friend of mine was saying that since my room isn't treated at all, I'd be better off investing money in a nicer dynamic mic that's warmer, or sound treatment before the condenser mic as it will just pick up lots of bad sound from the room. So the research continues. I just want to make demo tapes that sound better than leaving my phone in the middle of the room :lol:
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby wafl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:42 pm

I bought two AKG p220s for 200 awhile ago and they are actually pretty nice. They are basically U87s with cheaper components but I'm hoping to upgrade them with nicer capsules eventually. They work really well as spaced pair overheads and alright on guitars and such(but that's probably because my amps are in rough shape). I think they would work well for vocals but I'm just guessing based on the U87 being famous for that.
I just got a saffire pro 40 so I can finally do mixes after recording. I've basically been using the computer as tape and doing all the mixing live on an analog board then sending the stereo mix to the computer. Which is annoying as hell because its not like I have an isolated control room, so its just trial and error.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Tue May 02, 2017 11:08 am

Anyone use room Mics for vocals? Especially screamed ones? We tried it while recording last night and it made them sound huge
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Tue May 02, 2017 11:43 am

Yes!! Especially in combination with close mics
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ev_O))) » Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Yes!! Especially in combination with close mics

Yeh I always try and run a close mic and room for pretty much everything, especially in situations where I wouldn't have used to do normally like box.
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Yeah dude it sounds really awesome. So much fuller with a bunch of presence that's not normally in my vocals
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby wafl » Wed May 10, 2017 5:14 pm

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/20 ... -on-heroes
This is one of the more interesting ways I've heard of recording room vocals.
Basically a gate on the room mics so they only open up on louder/screamed parts.
I want to try it but I don't have a room it would work.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to Tech & Recording