Pretty Years

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Pretty Years

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Mon May 23, 2016 11:56 am

new album, new limited edition pedal.
http://www.smallsoundbigsound.com/produ ... tty-years/

well, my band Cymbals Eat Guitars made another record called Pretty Years (out 9/16) and we released our first track Wish today. we worked with a pretty great producer named John Congleton. he used a Thermionics Culture Vulture (a stereo tube distortion rack unit) on a bunch of tracks and yeah… it rules. this pedal is my humble homage to such an iconic and amazing piece of studio gear. as with the last 2 preorders, i try to capture an idea or sound that defines the recording in my mind and for this one i wanted to make an homage to the iconic Culture Vulture.

Pretty Years is a high-gain subminiature tube based distortion/fuzz with an interstage resonant lowpass filter to not only filter frequencies, but also shape the texture of the distortion. combining switchable pentode/triode mode, low-voltage biasing, switchable feedback and active bass/treble controls – most drive textures from subtle to complete destruction are available. voltage control over the filter frequency allows for dramatic filter sweeps with expression pedals and total weirdness with modular setups, making Pretty Years a perfect fit for not only guitars, but all other instruments as well… sound samples are forthcoming in the next few weeks.

$300 and limited to 50 pedals, the preorder package includes the pedal, a limited color LP, smallsound/bigsound t-shirt (FACE MELTING SONIC DEVICES.) and various stickers and little treats. see below to see the shirt and LP mockups. the preorder package will ship approximately the last week in august or the first few days in september ahead of our 9/16 release date. rather than charge the full amount this far in advance, i will be accepting a partial, nonrefundable deposit of $100 due now and the remainder due when production starts in mid-july.

NOTE* as the circuit is still not 100% completed, there may be small details that may change in the final production unit. as always, i strive for rad sounds and lots of tweakability so please trust that any changes made will be for the best.

if i’m all out of pedals and you just want a record, head over to our label Sinderlyn and pick up a digital or physical copy -
https://www.omnianmusicgroup.com/collec ... etty-years

listen to the song here!
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Pretty Years

Postby Jwar » Mon May 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Isn't it funny I literally just said something then bam!

Anyway, pre-ordered...
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Tristan » Mon May 23, 2016 12:15 pm

Holy shit, my pants! :joy: :omg: :!!!:

So many questions!
- do the tubes run on full voltage?
- how is the pedal powered?
- will you offer a less extended package without the LP as well? (I don't have a record player)
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Mon May 23, 2016 12:15 pm

jwar wrote:Isn't it funny I literally just said something then bam!

Anyway, pre-ordered...

either you're watching me or i'm watching you but i guess one of us has a problem.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Mon May 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Tristan wrote:Holy shit, my pants! :joy: :omg: :!!!:

So many questions!
- will you offer a less extended package without the LP as well? (I don't have a record player)

so many answers!
- they're subminiature tubes and they will be running at 12V, though i'm still messing around with bumping up the voltage - i'll see how it goes. probably 24V or 48V will be the max i'll run them at.
- for now, a 12Vdc adapter. i'm trying a few things to work out a 9V situation but i'm not certain it will pan out. i'm looking into sourcing standalone 12V adapters but otherwise you can use a pedal power + or similar with switchable 12V.
- i'm not offering a less extended package necessarily because the pedal will be a bit costlier than my other pedals to manufacture overall but email me if you take the plunge and we can work something out.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Mon May 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Tristan wrote:Holy shit, my pants! :joy: :omg: :!!!:

So many questions!

Bro I don't have a record player but I want to hang that shit up! :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby neonblack » Mon May 23, 2016 12:25 pm

New song is fucking awesome. Mega Bowie vibes.

I'm so damn broke it hurts. I logged in to sell my last pedal and this happens...

Jwar, buy me one!
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Mon May 23, 2016 12:26 pm

How did you listen?? The soundcloud wouldn't work for me. Also, it's only a 100 dollar deposit!! Get it Neon!!! Balance due in July, which is my Burfday! SO yes!!!

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Mon May 23, 2016 12:29 pm

jwar wrote:How did you listen?? The soundcloud wouldn't work for me. Also, it's only a 100 dollar deposit!! Get it Neon!!! Balance due in July, which is my Burfday! SO yes!!!

yeah easy peasy for everyone!
try this link instead.
http://pitchfork.com/news/65648-cymbals ... rack-wish/
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Mon May 23, 2016 12:31 pm

Oh well shit! I might actually be able to swing that if they're not all gone by 6/1
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 23, 2016 12:35 pm

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:well, my band Cymbals Eat Guitars made another record called Pretty Years ...

This would imply that you've already made a record called Pretty Years.

So, shouldn't this one be called Pretty Years II or something like that?
Last edited by Chankgeez on Mon May 23, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jwar » Mon May 23, 2016 12:36 pm

Dude that shit is amazing! Sounds almost like Bowie!!!

Also, look at that sexy fucker.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Mon May 23, 2016 12:44 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:well, my band Cymbals Eat Guitars made another record called Pretty Years ...

This would imply that you've already made a record called Pretty Years.

So, shouldn't this one be called Pretty Years II or something like that?

FINE I EDITED IT FOR BETTER GRAMMAR :hug:
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Mon May 23, 2016 12:50 pm

neonblack wrote:Oh well shit! I might actually be able to swing that if they're not all gone by 6/1

maybe i can hold one for you if that's the case. they're already more than half gone. :eek:
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 23, 2016 12:52 pm

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:
FINE I EDITED IT FOR BETTER GRAMMAR :hug:

:lol: I'll still be eagerly awaiting Pretty Years II :hug: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Next

Return to smallsound/bigsound