Polytope

Moderator: Taylor Livingston

Re: Polytope

Postby neonblack » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:31 am

My Mini is at the front of my chain, so if I run it pre-mini then its before all my dirt. I just need to play with it more. Im gonna take my board apart and mess with the placement a bit. It may be a case of it only playing well with certain dirt. Which just means I'll have to look for some other modulation to use with the other dirt.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:46 am

I always put mine behind dirt and other modulation. Worked perfect. No weird spikes or anything.

Now I will say that the Mini amplify's the crap out of anything. Maybe that's the issue? I have a ton of dirt, no issues ever with the Polytope.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby neonblack » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:52 am

The Mini is the only one it really plays very well with, but it might be because my other two dirt pedals have some gating going on. When I run the Poly before my Driving Notion, it turns into a glitchy broken tremolo sound. Which is actually pretty awesome.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:49 am

what kinda settings are you using on the polytope / is there a specific sound in your head that you're aiming for by combining it with your dirt peds?
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:37 pm

Well, I originally wanted it for the static detune, but I ended up liking the modulation side a lot more. I'm trying to get a good throbby pulsing sound out of it. I like it most with 2 voices. More than that and things get too wacky for me. Ive been keeping my clean at unity and then mixing the wet in until it sounds right. Modulation on, range at high, and the detune around 10 o clock.

I basically want to find one sound that works clean and dirty without having to change settings.

I moved it back to the front of my chain and messed with some settings on my dirt. I think Ive got it figured out.

Its not a chorus sound though. More of a univibe, but that's fine with me. It sounds good regardless.

I also love the way it sounds as a vibrato. One voice, wet only, shallow detune, medium speed. But it seems like a waste to use it just for that. I'll build a clari(not) for that.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:18 pm

yeah for wobbly modulated stuff what you're describing is probably what i'd be setting it like too.
as far as an all purpose setting i like having it as a static detune at low range, detune 10 o'clock, filter open, 1 voice only (as much as i love the multiple voice thing the more you add the less defined it becomes, especially with dirt). basically like a slightly tweaked/cooler sounding version of the whammy detune. those vibrato kinda sounds really come in handy though, and quad voice detune with vocals is insanely cool.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:15 pm

I'll have to try that setting. I still get some modulation on the static side, but I guess its just a product of the the digital pitch shifting.

I've never wanted presets on a pedal more than this.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:18 pm

Dude if it's not jiving with you, I'm sure we can work out some sort of trade.

:)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby neonblack » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:55 pm

You just got rid of yours!

But that Warped Vinyl looks nice :D
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Have you ever tried adding different lfo shapes to the polytope? The way the four voice would interact with say a square or reverse saw... Or individual sample and holds. :idea: :drool:

That and have an active filter that's split down the middle, before 12 is low pass and after 12 is high pass.

The polytope is already my favorite pedal, but that would jus take it to a new extreme. :lol: :!!!:
Last edited by Inconuucl on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Taylor Livingston » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Those could be interesting changes. When designing a thing like this, though, I have to consider that a lot of people who use and like the Polytope already think it's bordering on being more complicated and far out than they would like. So, there's a cost that comes with adding more features - a lot of people will actually be turned off by that. Possibly more than will get excited by the additional options.

Changing the filter control to work like that is not a bad idea. I will try it out and see how it sounds.
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Polytope Deluxe?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Inconuucl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Polytope Deluxe?

I was on my way to type the same thing. :lol:

Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:55 pm

Taylor Livingston wrote:Changing the filter control to work like that is not a bad idea. I will try it out and see how it sounds.

Did you get to try it out? :poke: :hug:

Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Taylor Livingston » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:54 pm

I looked at it, but ran into a technical wall. The Polytope is already maxing out the capabilities of its DSP, so I wasn't able to squeeze another filter in without losing some other feature.

Right now I'm working on getting some all-new designs out, but after that, I'll revisit the Polytope and look at ways to add more features to it.

Edit to add: I'm totally interested in doing some special editions that have extra functionality, and I think it's about time for it. There are cool things in the works. :)
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to Iron Ether