RMA Dirty Doper

Moderator: crochambeau

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby Jwar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Any clips of the Booster you have on Reverb?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby crochambeau » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:20 pm

jwar wrote:Any clips of the Booster you have on Reverb?

No, not yet. I'll rectify that soon. I stuffed ten non-experimental Tetanus Boosters this morning, so maybe I'll jamb a standard build together so the two can be compared. It does sound good (the build on reverb) I actually played it at a practice and was happy, but that's slow stuff, it does not support rapid volume change well (standard builds do). I'll PM you once I upload something to youtube..
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:22 am

So it's not made for guitar though you said in your listing? That means it's not made for stringed instruments? Just curious! Thanks!! :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby neonblack » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 am

The one on reverb isn't made for stringed instruments. It's meant for a contact mic I think.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:30 pm

The Tetanus Booster listed on reverb (I should probably start linking the actual listing so what I about to say is not confused with the other Tetanus Boosters that will be surfacing on reverb soon: https://reverb.com/item/1788747-rma-tet ... -2016-rust) is an experimental prototype/concept exploration build.

I did build in a contact microphone, so if nothing is plugged into the input the unit IS a microphone... but that is not the reason it is not optimized for anything other than noise/experimental (this is JUST MY OPINION), I plant that label on it because I tend to err on the side of caution as opposed to risk angering or disappointing my customers. :group:

The changes to the circuitry that make it less useful for guitar/strings is primarily the use of HUGE coupling (DC blocking) caps between sections. The issue is that if you hit it with a dynamic signal the time it takes the cap to charge back up after discharging due to the signal is long enough that it causes a big ripple in bias, driving the circuit into cut-off. So what you get, when you jamb the strings real hard is an absolute faceplant in terms of output volume. So, there's kind of an inverted volume spike that plays a bit like an auto-wah, but instead of bonking a filter it's turning you down. I want to be absolutely clear in the fact that this "feature" is both identified and understood and NOT standard across the model range, which is why I am not going to upload a demo until I have a standard model to A/B with. It is fun to hit with a drum machine though..

I also converted the output buffer stage to another gain stage to really blow things out, this is a mod that is not debilitating, but it's difficult to showcase on this particular unit due to the issue I've described above. I'll see if I can spit out a proper demo a little bit later today...
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:36 pm

You so crazy

Tru ILF.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:33 pm

That tetanus booster would be a great carrier oscillator for a ring mod though....

Split the signal *, then use the contact mic tetanus booster to go between diode ring modulating feedback(or any signal you can pick up with the contact mic...like on a copper sheet that is vibrating to the speakers or on like a drum set or something) or the actual signal (for an octave up like effect). All you'd have to do is somewhat match the gain on the guitar side. Could be fun.

* an ideal situation might be to use a mixer to balance out the gains?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:58 pm

lordgalvar wrote:That tetanus booster would be a great carrier oscillator for a ring mod though....

Split the signal *, then use the contact mic tetanus booster to go between diode ring modulating feedback(or any signal you can pick up with the contact mic...like on a copper sheet that is vibrating to the speakers or on like a drum set or something) or the actual signal (for an octave up like effect). All you'd have to do is somewhat match the gain on the guitar side. Could be fun.

* an ideal situation might be to use a mixer to balance out the gains?

Hmm, or another booster for the guitar, then feed the both into a balance knob type configuration that dumps one while boosting the other. Which reminds me, I need to spend a little time in the studio so I can be a contributing member to the ring mod thread again...

...but I think what you guys are REALLY trying to tell me is that I need to build another Dirty Doper, so as to re-rail this thread. :cool:

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Always more dopers. Dopers for all!
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:27 pm

My boner??

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:36 am

crochambeau wrote:...but I think what you guys are REALLY trying to tell me is that I need to build another Dirty Doper, so as to re-rail this thread. :cool:

Yoooooooooooooooö :animal: :dance: :animal: öoooooooooooooooo!
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:11 pm

Got mine today! I still haven't had a chance to plug in the Tetanus booster! LOL!! I can't wait!!

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Alright! I finally got some time to jam and holy fucking shit man! Hahaha! This thing is amazing! Absolutely amazing on bass! It works perfect with my active bass, which is actually kind of rare! haha. Each switch and knob is a key to something crazier than the last setting, but I love that you can also get semi subtle tones with it as well. With delay, it's brutal. The self oscillation when you plug it into itself is killer! It's like a drone machine but you can still play through on some settings. Very intuitive and well thought out! I can't wait to try the CV's. I don't currently have a cable or I would have! But I'm in love!

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby crochambeau » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:13 pm

Awesome, there are going to be a few of these trickling out in the coming weeks as well, sounding like the first one of those is spoken for, but I do aim to restock the reverb storefront soonish.

I'm going to re-offer the wide version as well, but one inch narrower and one inch deeper. The 4x8 turned out to be too much of a squish fest..

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:16 am

Question w/r/t CV on the first run. How does it effect the circuit?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Rochambeau Musical Apparatus