Compressor and/or reverb plugins for Logic

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Compressor and/or reverb plugins for Logic

Postby Ev_O))) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:14 pm

I'm all about Waves C6 and their DBX 160 copy. Great value if you can nab them on sale.
I also just picked up their Abbey Road Plate which sounds phenomenal for $99 on sale right now.
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby Wes Mantooth » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Think I'm about to take the plunge and go for Logic X, I need mid song time sig changes and would really like to delve in to getting more familiar with a DAW and using more advanced features.

Eventide's Black Hole Reverb is on sale for like $43 so I might pick that up. Anyone had experience with it? Not looking for a natural sounding verb but still want something that sounds good and is useable.
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby stripes » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:01 pm

+1 for the Valhalla plate... I got that and it is quite impressive for it's simplicity. I also got the Abbey Road plate when it was on sale a week or so ago and it kind of (to me) out shined the Valhalla. Just has more depth to it. But I don't think that means I will never use the Valhalla again...

You should lurk the waves site from time to time... they always end up having crazy sales and like additional cupon codes. Every time I get something from them I'll be checking out and it will say "your savings - $600" or something crazy lol. I like their compressor plugins. Also I have the EMI TG12345 channel strip plugin and use it on the stereo out of almost every mix. It's amazing!!
stripes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ev_O))) » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:38 am

Wes Mantooth wrote:Think I'm about to take the plunge and go for Logic X, I need mid song time sig changes and would really like to delve in to getting more familiar with a DAW and using more advanced features.

Eventide's Black Hole Reverb is on sale for like $43 so I might pick that up. Anyone had experience with it? Not looking for a natural sounding verb but still want something that sounds good and is useable.

I've always found Logic is extremely friendly for songwriting, song creation, straightforward tracking and things like that. Very easy to wrap your head around and get going with more traditional music and is really becoming a pretty standardised platform at tertiary level. My uni and a heap of other private institutions here in Melbourne have made the switch from Protools in recent years, and I'm pretty sure it's due to all the included instruments/FX and stuff being really good quality as well as the fact Apple own it now so it's super sleazy with a Mac. In that sense it's fine.

I personally use Ableton which is phenomenal but different, works great as a tracking platform but truly shines with sample manipulation and smashing tracks together from a bunch of random shit, which is what I do. Also super easy to play with the tempo and I'm not sure how to do it in Logic but I have a friend who composes EXTREMELY COMPLEX AND FUCKED fusion music and he does it all live tracked with Logic so I'm certain you'll be fine.

As for verb I use the Valhalla Vintage for more obvious effecty, weird verbs. $50 all the time with a few more options in terms of verb style, but it or Blackhole would be sweet.

stripes wrote:+1 for the Valhalla plate... I got that and it is quite impressive for it's simplicity. I also got the Abbey Road plate when it was on sale a week or so ago and it kind of (to me) out shined the Valhalla. Just has more depth to it. But I don't think that means I will never use the Valhalla again...

You should lurk the waves site from time to time... they always end up having crazy sales and like additional cupon codes. Every time I get something from them I'll be checking out and it will say "your savings - $600" or something crazy lol. I like their compressor plugins. Also I have the EMI TG12345 channel strip plugin and use it on the stereo out of almost every mix. It's amazing!!

Aye, over easter I picked up the Abbey Rd Plate, LA-2 and the Pulltech EQs, and instead of being like $800US it was $230US after sales + easter discount + stackable "buy one get 30% off the second and 35% off the third" etc. And when you convert that to the weak as piss AUD the savings are phenomenal.
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby GardenoftheDead » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:47 pm

The EMI TG12345 is an amazing plug in. I don't really use the compressor function on it but the EQ and noise sections are fantastaballs.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ev_O))) » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:33 am

OOOOOH on sale right now too......
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:42 am

Love all the input in this thread!

Super happy with the tdk compressor and Valhalla plate. Going to try to get to know them first before doing anything else.

Edit: TDR!! Tokyo dawn.
Last edited by goroth on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Ev_O))) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:49 pm

By TDK do you mean the Tokyo Dawn Records (TDR) stuff? Because if so, thank you for the heads up.

And in all honesty, once you get to a certain point with these things it totally becomes a game of subtleties and can just kidna boil down to how a certain style of effect or even something as silly as the control set on a particular plugin fits your work flow and vibe. Like take for example Flume (Australian electronic artist) who went on record a while back saying the only VST he uses that isn't stock in ableton is a certain compressor and everything else is just the shit that comes with it. pretty crazy.

You'll figure out what works for you, there's so much free/cheap/plain ol'good shit nowadays and I love it.
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:01 pm

Yeah TDR is what I meant!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby fcknoise » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:27 am

While we're on the topic of free compressor plugins, I need to share this one too https://www.audiodamage.com/downloads/p ... pid=ADF002 definitely more of a "effect" compressor but I've used it to dirty up some boring sounding tracks.

The waves H-comp (and H-delay) are super great plugins too. I use their comp all the time
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:08 am

Goroth, Logic X is like 170€ full version on the app store. The stock plug-ins are AMAZEBALLS. My most used reverb is the Space Designer and my most used compressor is the stock Compressor. And so many more. I pretty much do everything with stock plug-ins, free stuff from the net or that came with my focusrite hardware. I have maybe 4 or 5 paid plug-ins, and none are compressors or verb (tape sim and weird distortions)

This will be cheaper than any decent plug-in suite and you'll have everything you already like and use updated.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fcknoise » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:32 am

The space designer reverb is insanely good, I agree. It doesn't really do the man made types though, like spring or plate, does it? Like, I use space designer on everything, but it wouldn't be my only reverb. Maybe. Apart from the other logic verbs it actually is my only reverb
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Tech & Recording