Algal Bloom V2 is here!

Moderator: FuzzHugger

Re: Algal Bloom V2 is here!

Postby goroth » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:53 am

Tom Dalton wrote:
goroth wrote:
That is one of the best finishes I've seen. Sparrow is that a vertical layout but tipped horizontally with "top mount" (relative to the new horizontal position) jacks? If so, that is so sexy.

:ilw:
Yes sir!
Audio jacks top-mounted to the left, power jack top-mount middle.

Asymmetric layouts are so hot.
:thumb:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:57 am

Sounds good, but it would sound better if you put the camera closer to the amp and put yourself behind the camera, or just in the opposite side of the room (you're a hard strummer/picker) :p

I have choke on my custom V1 too. It's the best! :!!!:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sparrow » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:11 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Sounds good, but it would sound better if you put the camera closer to the amp and put yourself behind the camera, or just in the opposite side of the room (you're a hard strummer/picker) :p

I have choke on my custom V1 too. It's the best! :!!!:

thanks for the tips!
" (you're a hard strummer/picker) :p " i was just excited! sorry. :hug:
Blue Strat - Jazzmascis - Tele.
Fender - Squier.
Dr. Scientist - Dirge - FuzzHugger - Montreal Assembly - Hypnodrone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparrow1133
Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:17 pm

I sounded more like a dick than a dude who just wanted to hear the pedal better there. You shouldn't be sorry at all. I'm sorry! :hug:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:32 pm

You Dick!!!!

:lol: :hug:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Philippe Elskens » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Is the choke toggle 2-way? 3-way?...?
Somebody wants to do a demo, specifically to highlight the two toggles? Would be very much appreciated!:-)
Philippe Elskens

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:43 pm

2 way. I'll try and record something for you when I get a chance.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:39 pm

Is there a magic trick or mod for bringing out more upper octave harmonics in choke mode? I've tried a number of different settings and like the textures produced a great deal, but can't quite get the octave to "sing."
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby FuzzHugger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:16 am

ck3 wrote:Is there a magic trick or mod for bringing out more upper octave harmonics in choke mode? I've tried a number of different settings and like the textures produced a great deal, but can't quite get the octave to "sing."

Do you have one with an octave mode built in? If so, play with your neck pickup. Also the octave effect is strongest above the 12th fret.
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby ck3 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:22 pm

Tom Dalton wrote:
ck3 wrote:Is there a magic trick or mod for bringing out more upper octave harmonics in choke mode? I've tried a number of different settings and like the textures produced a great deal, but can't quite get the octave to "sing."

Do you have one with an octave mode built in? If so, play with your neck pickup. Also the octave effect is strongest above the 12th fret.

Thanks for the response, Tom. Your fuzzes are truly works of art. Certain choke, bloom, power, and gain combos yield moderate upper octave overtones. It kind of reminds me of a Boss FZ-2 or Effector 13 (early Devi Ever) fuzzes when in various octave mode settings. I've tried the neck pickup, 12th fret, and tone knob tricks to no avail. I may have to continue ever-so-slightly turning knobs or cascade other gain sources in either direction and see what happens.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:23 am

Hm, never tried it myself, but wouldn't pairing it with an Upper yield more octavey goodness?
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby ck3 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:18 am

Not a bad idea the the Upper. I already have a Green Ringer clone that pairs beautifully with the Algal Bloom, but was originally hoping to find a way to produce equally prominent upper octave harmonics with no additional pedals.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Upper plus algal bloom is possibly my favourite fuzz sound ever. Can't imagine it's too much different from the normal green ringer, plus still two pedals... but it's amazing.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ripburst » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:47 am

Can anyone give some tips/advice on the Choke mode? (Drodriguez?)

Just got a V2 and the choke mode pretty much chokes it out and sadly not in a good way. When engaged only super hard strumming generates any sound, thats with the gain maxed bloom at about 3 o'clock. If the blooms gets to 1 oclock or below it entirely kills the output. Same with the gain.

Definitely not getting any velcro type sputter outs on the notes. Without the choke engaged it seems to be all good, but the choke mode was pretty much the reason I got it and a little concerned its not sounding like the other demos in choke mode posted here.

Also the bloom above 3 o'clock reduces the gain a decent amount and goes into more octave ish sounds.
ripburst

interested
interested

Postby FuzzHugger » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:33 pm

ripburst wrote:Can anyone give some tips/advice on the Choke mode? (Drodriguez?)

Just got a V2 and the choke mode pretty much chokes it out and sadly not in a good way. When engaged only super hard strumming generates any sound, thats with the gain maxed bloom at about 3 o'clock. If the blooms gets to 1 oclock or below it entirely kills the output. Same with the gain.

Definitely not getting any velcro type sputter outs on the notes. Without the choke engaged it seems to be all good, but the choke mode was pretty much the reason I got it and a little concerned its not sounding like the other demos in choke mode posted here.

Also the bloom above 3 o'clock reduces the gain a decent amount and goes into more octave ish sounds.

Choke mode changes how the knobs work. In Choke mode, you typically want to start with the three main controls cranked (full-right), then pick one knob at a time to roll back on.
• With all controls cranked, you'll get an extreme, boosted, brash fuzz (boosted compared to the standard fuzz mode).
• Rolling back on Fuzz just slightly will make it go a bit crunchy, then crusty, gated, then dead. It might die as soon as 12 noon or earlier depending on the output of your pickups and whether you're boosting the pedal with another pedal.
• With all controls cranked, rolling back on Gain, you're going to get a gainier, cutting, distortiony fuzz.
• Power will change the tone too, though not as dramatically (or gated) as the other two...it functions similarly to normal, lowering power/gain, and changing the attack a bit.
You can experiment with rolling back more than one knob at a time in Choke mode, but many times it's going to kill the fuzz.
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FuzzHugger Effects