Sonic Shroom demo, courtesy of East Stomp Boutique

Moderator: FuzzHugger

Sonic Shroom demo, courtesy of East Stomp Boutique

Postby DarkAxel » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:52 pm

So here's one that hits close to home guys, right? :) introducing the Fuzzhugger FX Sonic Shroom! I do admit I was a bit worried because I'm just not good with oscillating fuzzes. But the Sonic Shroom is a) fucking awesome just as a fuzz pedal and b) a really musical oscillating fuzz. So watching the video makes me want to get one myself :lol:
Check out the great Fuzzhugger FX Sonic Shroom over at East Stomp Boutique http://www.eaststompboutique.com/fuzzhu ... nic-shroom

00:13 , 01:14 , 02:08 – Bass guitar
03:21, 04:43 – Guitar
07:30, 09:10 – Baritone guitar

Visit https://www.eaststompboutique.com
Follow us on Instagram https://instagram.com/eaststompboutique/
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/eaststompboutique
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Sonic Shroom demo, courtesy of East Stomp Boutique

Postby infamousalien » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 am

:!!!: :!!!: :thumb:
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby DhanoSuzuki » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:25 am

Finally! You have no idea how happy I am that someone finally made a proper Sonic Shroom demo.

Overall, really good demo. For someone who is "not good" with oscillating fuzz, you did a real good job at utilizing it in a musical way, and even gave me some ideas for my own playing.

Though, I gotta point out a couple of things, I think you skipped over a couple of the best features.

First, in just plain fuzz mode, with the "trip" knob turned to the left you get a really awesome smooth, almost synth-like fuzz tone, especially with single notes. When the promotional write up's say "light sabery," I always associate this specific setting with that. Demo kinda stayed mostly in crunch territory, which is awesome in its own right, but that smooth laser sharp synth blast is what I consider the Shroom sound. IMO, of course.

Second, you didn't demonstrate what happens when you turn the "fuzz" knob aaaallllll the way up. You get a real grimey splattery fuzz tone that is way different from the fuzz tones you get from any of the other settings. Almost the exact opposite of that real smooth light sabery tone I talked about earlier, but still synthy in its own way. Considering how unique this fuzz tone is to the rest of what the pedal does, it's a pretty relevant feature to cover.

The last one is a biggy, and definitely one of the main selling-points for the Shroom. It isn't really advertised this way, but I think you can consider the Shroom to be a sub-octave synthy bass fuzz. You did go over some of the sub octave oscillations, but that sub bass stuff can also apply to the notes you play as well.

You can achieve this in most oscillation settings by simply lowering the guitar's volume knob, and playing single notes on the guitar.

You can also set the osc and trip knobs to automatically go into synth bass when you activate trip mode, without having to mess with the guitar's volume knob.

For me, the knob settings are at Osc: between 7 and 9 of clock. And Trip: all the way to the left.

Some settings are more stable than others, and if you pick too hard you risk bypassing the bass effect entirely and you will just get they typical fuzz sound.

This is most definitely my favorite Shroom feature, and a big reason that I decided to go for this Shroom over a couple other oscillating fuzzes I was considering. Really cool and unique feature IMO. Some of the Ab-Synth demos feature this, and I think you definitely want to let people know that the Shroom is capable of it as well.

But, your demo is really good, and I think it shows how different people will find different features and uses for a pedal based on their own personal styles.

I gotta say, thank you so much for finally making a Shroom demo. You can get an idea of what it does by looking at old Ab-Synth demos, but the Shroom has some differences and definitely deserves it's own video.
DhanoSuzuki

involved
involved

Postby DarkAxel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:25 am

Regarding your first criticisms - I get where you're coming from, and what I say might sound like excuses... But my demos try to focus on musicality, not the full range of sounds per se. It comes from the fact that I simply don't do technical demos - I find inspiring sounds and let them lead me, usually improvising vast majority of what I'm playing. Therefore, if I don't like a sound, it might simply not get included. If I don't find the sound - same thing.

I demo the pedals to achieve the same results of what I'd do if I just got the pedal new. I try to approximate the real player experience - because first and foremost, I approach the demos as if this is my hobby (which it is), I don't really try to go for what sounds would totally sell the pedal just because of the business angle :idk: I'll never be able to show the full range of a pedal, but I don't think that's wrong :idk:

DhanoSuzuki wrote:The last one is a biggy, and definitely one of the main selling-points for the Shroom. It isn't really advertised this way, but I think you can consider the Shroom to be a sub-octave synthy bass fuzz. You did go over some of the sub octave oscillations, but that sub bass stuff can also apply to the notes you play as well.

I need to address this - the third bass clip is me doing exactly that, turning down the volume to get the sub octave sounds. Then the subby guitar clip was me playing a note and quickly turning down the volume to get into the sub octaves. And I know why you say this - that stuff is genuinely my favourite part of every oscillating fuzz :)

You can achieve this in most oscillation settings by simply lowering the guitar's volume knob, and playing single notes on the guitar.

works with chords, just gets more glitchy (again - referencing the second guitar clip

You can also set the osc and trip knobs to automatically go into synth bass when you activate trip mode, without having to mess with the guitar's volume knob.

For me, the knob settings are at Osc: between 7 and 9 of clock. And Trip: all the way to the left.

thanks!

But, your demo is really good, and I think it shows how different people will find different features and uses for a pedal based on their own personal styles.

And that's sort of the player experience I was trying to explain :)

Thank you for the kind words and thank you for your constructive criticism! I do get where you're coming from, but I also have my approach, hope that's clear and not seen as a mistake anymore :)
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seedy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Great demo DarkAxel. My AB-synth (#26) is still my favorite fuzz ever, seems like the Sonic Shroom is getting back to the original ABS roots. Glad you gave it a proper, inspiring demo.

I just got a Eastowood baritone and haven't even put it through the ABsynth yet for some reason. I'm gonna quit my job so I can go mess with it now.
Seedy

Supporter
Supporter

Return to FuzzHugger Effects