pickup upgrades

pickup upgrades

Postby basscase76 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:51 pm

I've been considering new pickups for quite awhile on one of my guitars to replace an alnico classic on the bridge. Black Winters have caught my eye, but I have yet to give them a try. Same goes for the Slugs.

what pickups would be good for a rhythm sound running through a blackout musket v2 and a fender champion 100?
basscase76

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: pickup upgrades

Postby Krosis » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:37 pm

basscase76 wrote:what pickups would be good for a rhythm sound running through a blackout musket v2 and a fender champion 100?

basscase76 wrote:Black Winters

:animal:
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.

new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby t-rey » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:30 pm

My Musket tended to sound very much like a distortion with higher output buckers, but had a bit more fuzz to it with lower output hbs or p90s. So I guess it depends on what sort of rhythm sound you are going for. I can't imagine not finding a good tone with the Black Winters and Musket though...
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby conky » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:42 am

Black Winters are awesome. Same for the Nazgul as its a lot like the BW but a little lower output. Never played a Musket, but when I had Black Winters in all my guitars they all sounded great with fuzz.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:58 am

conky wrote:Black Winters are awesome. Same for the Nazgul as its a lot like the BW but a little lower output. Never played a Musket, but when I had Black Winters in all my guitars they all sounded great with fuzz.

And if the Nazgul seems like it might not articulate enough of the notes for you then you should probably look at the Pegasus. I just popped a Pegasus/Sentient set into my Toronado. If i like how the Pegasus sounds I'll probably be ordering another one for my telecaster.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby basscase76 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:54 pm

t-rey wrote:My Musket tended to sound very much like a distortion with higher output buckers, but had a bit more fuzz to it with lower output hbs or p90s. So I guess it depends on what sort of rhythm sound you are going for. I can't imagine not finding a good tone with the Black Winters and Musket though...

well, the plan is to have that grey area between fuzz and distortion. dial back the pre on the musket with a booster before it for when I want some extra bite. also, using one of the tweed settings instead of the main one to have a warmer feel. figured that might be a useful tidbit
basscase76

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby duffmcshark » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:02 pm

FWIW I'd rather use an overdrive or boost pedal with vintage or moderate output pickups so that you don't sacrifice a decent clean tone. The first two Sabbath albums had Strat pickups and P-90s, so lower output humbuckers should have no problem getting you the sound you're looking for.
duffmcshark

involved
involved

Postby basscase76 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:27 pm

duffmcshark wrote:FWIW I'd rather use an overdrive or boost pedal with vintage or moderate output pickups so that you don't sacrifice a decent clean tone. The first two Sabbath albums had Strat pickups and P-90s, so lower output humbuckers should have no problem getting you the sound you're looking for.

I actually like the neck pickup for my cleans, so I'm keeping the stock classic alnico in that position.
basscase76

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby The Mad Titan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:07 pm

I've really come to love higher output alnico single coils for everything, P90's in particular. Though I'm about positive I'm gonna be putting a T-Armond in the neck of my SG along with a BG Pure 90 in the bridge now that I've offed the 490R/498T set I had in there. Fuck, I may even just throw two T-Armonds in there in the end, but that P90 bridge tone has become my new comfort zone.

I was originally gonna go with an Arcane Gold Coil, but they sound too spongy and weak to me. I want more mass and clarity. I wish I could mount a Lollar Gold Coil in it, but that would be a weird fuckin' mount being as it's a small guard with HB mount.
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby decomposing » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:02 pm

been wanting to do this for forever too
what do you think of rio grande?
thinking lower output hummers or p90's
think the dude in neurosis are also a fan of those
more bite

(((trades>>>
///ronripper/WesMantooth/thebetasignal/SpaceFlunky/Jnichols2727/pieceofshit/DannDubbleEwe/
Brobee/odontophobia/chuckjaywalk/ChetMagongalo/nevada/BassIsBad/jellyfishfuzz/ingloriousoz/MrNovember/killthenil/K2000///>>>)))
/// images >>> https://www.instagram.com/neuroticexpanse///

decomposing

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby benjuro » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:40 pm

decomposing wrote:been wanting to do this for forever too
more bite

I installed a Rio Grande Bastard in the neck of my brother's LP Studio, and I didn't get to play it very much but what I did hear sounded awesome.

I am a sucker for P90s though, especially in the neck, with fuzz. I much prefer low-to-moderate output, full-bodied pickups over the higher output jams.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby decomposing » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:09 pm

benjuro wrote:
more bite

I installed a Rio Grande Bastard in the neck of my brother's LP Studio, and I didn't get to play it very much but what I did hear sounded awesome.

I am a sucker for P90s though, especially in the neck, with fuzz. I much prefer low-to-moderate output, full-bodied pickups over the higher output jams.

yeah never really messed with the stocks but yeah think that's where the sound I'm looking for ultimately is coming from
the wood and your hands and the shape of the geetar...
but yeah. need more dynamics in my rig.

(((trades>>>
///ronripper/WesMantooth/thebetasignal/SpaceFlunky/Jnichols2727/pieceofshit/DannDubbleEwe/
Brobee/odontophobia/chuckjaywalk/ChetMagongalo/nevada/BassIsBad/jellyfishfuzz/ingloriousoz/MrNovember/killthenil/K2000///>>>)))

decomposing

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby HeavyXIII » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:41 pm

benjuro wrote:
more bite

I'm assuming this would all be more in reference to Steve's gear than Scott's? Scott had ye olde Duncan Distortion Les Paul when I saw them live last year. Steve had a really crazy looking guitar
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby decomposing » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:47 pm

HeavyXIII wrote:
benjuro wrote:
more bite

I'm assuming this would all be more in reference to Steve's gear than Scott's? Scott had ye olde Duncan Distortion Les Paul when I saw them live last year. Steve had a really crazy looking guitar

yeah. steve is the mastermind of the sound and effects. not to say scott is a slouch by any means.
he just uses more grunt. which is where I usually am but finding I want more dynamics on tap.
need to sell off some pedals to fund the pup upgrades
what brand you think is a good economic solution for good sound
I play dirty so...

(((trades>>>

decomposing

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:56 am

I have a blk tri set that I'm really happy with. Mike reopens the shop in like a week and a half. His pickups are between 100-120 apiece for most stuff. If you email him, I'm sure he can help you pick a set out that suits your needs. I have also heard nothing but good things from other people that use them.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org