DELAY TALK.

Moderators: aens_wife, aen

DELAY TALK.

Postby aen » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:33 am

Hey Y'all. We're looking at new delay technology in a serious way.
I know what I want in a delay, but I'm curious as to what you want. This is a digital adventure, so no need for the "I want a bucket brigade 8 second reverse delay with expression and CV for everything and seven colors of smoke."

Things I will most certainly NOT go without:
Tap tempo
Modulation of some sort

Things I am very much looking to add: CV controls wherever possible.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: DELAY TALK.

Postby DADGBD » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:41 am

I'm a simple man. Nice repeats (multiple channel?) and the ability to mix in crumbly, spattery, broken-sounding dirt, post-delay.

Think Ghost Delay meets Reverberation Machine in a dark alley and walks out pregnant with a Dwarfcraft baby...
but in a not copied kind of way.
DADGBD

experienced
experienced

Postby ThorZ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Ability to store pre-sets is great, even if its just one or two
Ability to choke the delay signal < i dont even know if this is possible but i want it to be
Duel Loop one set of pedals in one loop into the delay and another set into the second
Multipule Wave forms
Im not back. Im just front
ThorZ

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Fuck modulation. The market is saturated with modulated delays. Keep digital digital! :)*

Glitch.
- input sensitivity knob
- glitch time knob (from granular stutters to "where did my repeats go....oh there they are" sort of glitching)
- glitch mix knob/switch

mmmmmmmmm :drool:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:23 pm

hmm, this is tough - I already have a delay pedal that has everything I *want*, but here are some ideas:

dual fx loop would be nuts

multiple modulation options would be really neat. like being able to choose warble, granular stuff, or a pitch shift/glitch like the bitquest's delay

random lag

tone knob for repeats

epic long delay times

volume control (not just mix)

multiple delay lanes (similar to a multi tap with option between parallel/series)

looking forward to your computer wizardry
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DADGBD » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:25 pm

resincum wrote:random lag

That could be all kinds of awesome!
DADGBD

experienced
experienced

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Any sort of glitchyness/weirdness with time. FX Loops are awesome, multiple delays in one are cool too. Crazy tone control on just the delay signal, like super resonant filter or the like. Or super dirty delay signal. There are plenty of clean predictable delays out there, give me something with character, dirt, rawness, or general unpredictable weirdness.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:00 pm

I agree with the above, especially the glitch, some other features I'd like:
- delay time of 2 seconds or preferably longer so you can make sample like textures
- infinite footswitch (switchable between latching and momentary)
- reverse mode maybe also on a footswitch (switchable between latching and momentary)
- external tap input
- multiple subdivisions with quarter triplets included
- filter (random), vibrato (random) and tremolo on the repeats
- max 12 bit or 16 bit sound quality level, character without getting too ugly on longer repeats if you don't want it (like a PT2399 does).
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Control over the ad/da conversion. I assume this isn't possible but a faux control mimicking for example an old dd-3 with its 12 bit ad/da. the shit sample rate of the dd-3 is what makes it sit so well in the mix. Then of course you should be able to get way lower sample rate than the dd-3 :)

A limiter after the feedback section of the delay line so that you can go batshit with feedback and ruin your signal without necessarily blowing up speakers.

Envelope control over appropriate parameters.

Low pass and high pass filters for the delay line.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Haha, I love you tris.

Just read your post :hug:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:19 am

If we're talking new and digital, doing weird stuff to the repeats; pitch shift, bitcrushing, distortion, ring mod, ??? Who needs another delay that just sounds nice?

Envelope controlled... something. I feel like any parameter would be fun to control like that!
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Tristan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:48 am

Hey Matt! :hello:
Brohug... :hug:
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:59 am

I only ask that trails are an option.
That's my #1 thing with digitals and it fucking shits me when you can't do that.

monkeydancer wrote:If we're talking new and digital, doing weird stuff to the repeats; pitch shift, bitcrushing, distortion, ring mod, ??? Who needs another delay that just sounds nice?

These are great ideas.
I'd like a delay that sounded like it was turning my notes into ice crystals and then exploding them with psychic warfare mind beams.
You're Dwarfcraft, I know you know what I'm talking about and I know you can make it happen.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:07 pm

As the others have said, make a fucked up sounding delay. There are loads of digital delays out there that do the pretty, shiny, feely thing. Glitch it up, tear it apart, fuck yeah. Other sweet things are multihead simulations for rhythmic repeats (too few pedals do this, why the hell should the repeats come out in a neat, ordered line? Scatter them!), reverse and decaying crystals on the surface of the sun slowly imploding and exploding in multicoloured rays of blinding light engulfed in darkness. I'll let you figure out that last one in the lab.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby Strange Tales » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:18 pm

I don't know how possible it is, but I think it would be cool to have a delay that would sweep back and forth between reverse and actual delay. Or a delay that has a filter sweep through it as well with controllable frequency and resonance.

Or something that plays a forward and reverse delay at the same time.

Have a whole digital fx unit that applies strange things to the delay only. Tremolo, chorus, vibrato, ring mod, etc.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Dwarfcraft Devices