Grindcore and such

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Grindcore and such

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:14 am

resincum wrote:haha for real man.. pure fuckin wankery.

I know this ain't straight grind either but I've always LOVED the way this band was able to blend so many genres together. would love to start a band like this someday..

that ambient washiness into dystopia screaming at 3:50.....WOWWWWW

Everything Will Killingsworth touches is gold.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Where is the line between grind and crust?
Cult Leader are crust?
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Crust is based off Amebix, D-Beat (just aspects because pure d-beat is it's own monster but those guys could be included here too), and some metal...more punk than metal (well, used to be).

Grind is something that a lot of crusties dig. Grind has blast beats. Crusties play grind sometimes. They are just friendly/sympathetic genres (shared fans) more than they are really that close otherwise. I guess the differences are in the drums and guitar (grind being blast beats and more metal based with vocals (sometimes more for the sound than the lyrics) and guitars, crust is more discharge, amebix punk based...). Nothing is set in stone though and there is crossover. Kinda why I don't like genres even though grind is pretty specific.

Oh yea, the vocals are different too. Grind sometimes goes into the noisey elements too and crust has longer more normal punk based songs.

Just listen to Amebix and then listen to Caracass (or Napalm Death Scum)...should give you an idea
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:47 am

I also think grind has progressed a lot and contains a pretty broad swathe of bands and sounds, whereas crust is a little narrower and closer to its roots. But I'm no crust expert so :idk:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby the raytownian » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:34 pm

Grind today sounds very unlike what it used to, but the way I look at early grind is that you have a few different sounds based on region.

UK Grind was a lot closer to old crust/stenchcore happening all around westwern EU (it's worth noting that modern crust doesn't sound much like old crust itself, and that's not even referring exclusively to all the boring Tragedy clones out there) early UK grind in my mind was darker, grimier, and with more of an apparent post-punk influence.* A lot of the original "mincecore"-style bands take pretty clear influence from this, too.

*Case in point:

US Grind has, I think, a more apparent thrash/crossover and early death metal influence. This is particularly apparent to me in bands like Repulsion. I think bands like Nausea [LA] and Terrorizer were somewhere in between the sounds of ND and Repulsion.

Then there's the whole Boston-area scene that had bands like Siege to inspire their sound, and the influence is apparent just hearing the vocals of bands like Dropdead (a later example, but their name is a dead giveaway), Disrupt and Anal Cunt, not to mention the trebly "hardcore punk guitar" tone and riffing a lot of them use. There's a noticeable European crust/d-beat influence with Disrupt I think, but the groundwork for all those bands seems pretty clearly rooted in Boston's HC scene.

They all share enough qualities to be categorized as grindcore in the end: blastbeats, high tempos, the "segmented" riffs (that's what I call them, but IDK another word to describe grind riffs), etc. they're just variations on the same basic approach. It's worth noting, though, that all these terms like "Grindcore" were pretty nebulous in those days, and terms like "thrash" "death metal" "hardcore", and even "black metal" were used, in some cases, interchangeably for all manner of extreme bands from the era, or otherwise applied retrospectively. It's only since maybe the early/mid-90's I think that we have developed these really crystalized ideas of the "true sound" of these individual descriptors. They weren't always so distinct, though.

Seems to me most modern grind bands I've heard are pretty far-removed from these early sounds, or just kind of developed from a mish-mash of influences, thus sound quite distinct from the earlier bands, and even the 90's Relapse-type bands, which I can't help but imagine the minceclones and "new-school-of-old-school" bands like Insect Warfare and Magrudergrind were something of a reaction to. A lot of it seems more influenced by the modern Boston-area sound (i.e, Dropdead, who have a weirdly, obsessively devoted fanbase among today's train-rider population, BTW), the more caustic side of PV (Spazz, MitB), Euro crust/D-beat (Doom, Dis-____) and bands like Heresy (who I don't really think of as Grindcore so much as speedy HC band). Basically, an even more diverse and streamlined pool of influences cobbled together into the "modern grindcore sound", which makes sense in the internet age where everything's at our fingertips. Everyone's heard it all, and it's reflected in the sound.
the raytownian

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby jamesmikelly » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:52 am

jamesmikelly

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:11 pm

thread needs more rotten sound.

really glad the Sawtooth Grin got a mention in here. a long time ago my friend and I wanted to start a campus radio show called Matt and Gary in the morning and every morning would feature "give me the amulet you bitch" as the alarm clock.

i'm definitely not an expert on grind but i do enjoy a lot of it and its variations.
Last edited by odontophobia on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby gnomethrone » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:59 pm

so agoraphobic nosebleed is a sludge band now?
https://agoraphobicnosebleed.bandcamp.com/album/arc
works for me
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:44 pm

gnomethrone wrote:so agoraphobic nosebleed is a sludge band now?
https://agoraphobicnosebleed.bandcamp.com/album/arc
works for me

they plan to do an album rooted deeply in a style near and dear to each member.
scott hull is fucked.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Monarch » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 am

This is a good shit

Ring modulator. Drone generator.
Monarch

committed
committed

Postby frodog » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:15 pm

Lotsa good shit in this thread, and many bands I have not heard. But there's always time for some grindcore! Short blasts, that's one of the things I like about it.

Great split with two bands from Groningen, Holland

This 7" comp also rules (not all grind)

https://swollenlungs.bandcamp.com
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:02 pm

I like the older underproduced stuff that sounds like punk in fast forward. Repulsion, early Napalm Death, Extreme Noise terror, etc. The newest band I like in the genre is Pig Destroyer.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby daseb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:33 pm

I've been listening to inalienable dreamless like twice a day for the last two weeks. I think it's starting to affect my brain.
daseb

experienced
experienced

Postby foomanfat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:20 pm

daseb wrote:I've been listening to inalienable dreamless like twice a day for the last two weeks. I think it's starting to affect my brain.

Shooooooooooot. That record is really good.
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby daseb » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:52 pm

it's so mad. I'd love to hear it remixed with some bottom end in the guitar.
daseb

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to Music