https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Cheap houses, relocation, hermit life

Postby friendship » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:09 pm

thank you! the job listing said one of the perks was 20 lbs of cheese a year.

cheeeeeeeeeeebs
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 pm

did they require any experience or degree or anything? i thought of pursuing cheesemaking for a while. idk why i decided against it.
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:18 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:28 am

friendship wrote:Today I applied for an assistant cheesemaker position in a town with less than 700 people so I guess you could say I am onboard with this.

I feel like this has a higher chance of success than just buying a house/chapel/warehouse in the middle of nowhere. Moving there for a job in the community would likely make it easier to make connections and friends there. As someone who grew up in a town of 500 people, it can be nearly impossible to become a part of those small communities.

A lot of communities that fit this are relatively remote. So, in times of inclement weather those communities might not get rescue services for a while. So, it’s important to become a part of the community just for those emergency situations. If you feel like you can be self-sufficient and live completely disconnected, then being a part of the community might be optional?

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:02 pm

01010111 wrote:I feel like this has a higher chance of success than just buying a house/chapel/warehouse in the middle of nowhere. Moving there for a job in the community would likely make it easier to make connections and friends there. As someone who grew up in a town of 500 people, it can be nearly impossible to become a part of those small communities.

A lot of communities that fit this are relatively remote. So, in times of inclement weather those communities might not get rescue services for a while. So, it’s important to become a part of the community just for those emergency situations. If you feel like you can be self-sufficient and live completely disconnected, then being a part of the community might be optional?

So it's nearly impossible to become integrated, but I should run for sheriff/mayor/lead cheesemaker, or else(!!!) a blizzard will come and the townies will leave me to die in my snow palace? Thanks for the advice.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:11 pm

Worry about the hogs, not the blizzards.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby 01010111 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:09 pm

echorec wrote:
<a href="tel:01010111">01010111</a> wrote:I feel like this has a higher chance of success than just buying a house/chapel/warehouse in the middle of nowhere. Moving there for a job in the community would likely make it easier to make connections and friends there. As someone who grew up in a town of 500 people, it can be nearly impossible to become a part of those small communities.

So it's nearly impossible to become integrated, but I should run for sheriff/mayor/lead cheesemaker, or else(!!!) a blizzard will come and the townies will leave me to die in my snow palace? Thanks for the advice.

This was my experience, so, your milage may vary. Depending on the area, the extreme example you mentioned might be accurate. There were some people in my home town who would haze outsiders for years to try and get them to move away. So, at minimum I’d recommend seeing if you can find out what the people are like in your tiny town of choice before making a decision.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:44 pm

01010111 wrote:There were some people in my home town who would haze outsiders for years to try and get them to move away.

Could we get a semi-vague geotag for this? EX: NE WI or SE OH

Also, are we talking egging houses, rolling trees, or stalking / verbal hostility?
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:56 pm

echorec wrote:
01010111 wrote:There were some people in my home town who would haze outsiders for years to try and get them to move away.

Could we get a semi-vague geotag for this? EX: NE WI or SE OH

Also, are we talking egging houses, rolling trees, or stalking / verbal hostility?

I grew up in rural Utah. But when I’ve compared notes with people from other small towns in the western US, they claimed to have similar experiences. People would block the roads for hours with farm equipment, intentionally flood other people’s basements with irrigation lines, and turn on manure spreaders when they knew the new people were driving behind them. There was verbal hostility too. When the town would get snowed in you would be stuck on your property, unless you either knew someone who had a snowplow to dig out the road to your property or you had a snowplow. So, some people would just be snowed in until the county snowplow drove by the following week (these people would typically end up moving away very shortly after this happened). They would try to do things the law would have a hard time proving was intentionally malicious.

This obviously isn’t universal. People in small towns normally stay there for a reason, and can be hostile to outsiders. So, wherever you’re thinking about going, try to get a feel for the neighborhood.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Discussion