Bike helmets

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Bike helmets

Postby Faldoe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:37 pm

Finally deciding to make a wise and safe decision and purchasing a bike (like bicycle) helmet. Any brand suggestions? This would be for street riding on a mountain bike. Not a road bike, not a serious cycling helmet. I used to ride BMX so I'm a little partial to the Protec/skate helmet style.
Faldoe

Re: Bike helmets

Postby MrNovember » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 pm

I've got one of these that I like quite a bit:
https://www.bernhelmets.com/collections ... /brentwood
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby popvulture » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:50 pm

I have a Giro Reverb. Super simple/plain. Haven't had to actually test its functionality yet haha, but I think it'd do the job.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby univalve » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:41 pm

I like the MTB helmets with the visor (in rain, darkness with blinding Lights). Right now i use a MET helmet. When i get a new one i Will Go with a MIPS equiped one (saves probably your Brain).
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 pm

It's worth it to get a road racing helmet for the weight reduction, its probably the most noticeable area to see benefit in reduction weight because of how much it can save your neck from pain/strain if you ride a lot.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/prope ... 994-162030
I have an earlier version of one of these currently, they are cheap and very light.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm

I'm a few days late, but skate style helmets are heavy and get super hot with no breathability. The Specialized Airnet is probably the best helmet on the market currently; light, very breathable, and not overly expensive.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:55 pm

popvulture wrote:I have a Giro Reverb. Super simple/plain. Haven't had to actually test its functionality yet haha, but I think it'd do the job.

Same! I like the aesthetics of this helmet and it seems plenty safe. I used to really get out on helmet safety tech for other hobbies and this seems perfectly acceptable.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mcatano » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 am

I'm a big fan of the Catlike Tako Urban for both commuting and actual bike racing. It's cheap enough to not be super precious with it, it's styled to fit nicely somewhere between 'commuter' and 'alien fetus,' and it has all of the benefits of a pro-level race helmet (adjustability, multiple sizes, bug netting, plenty of vents, vaguely 'aero,' really light weight). I picked mine up for about $75 USD and it's been solid for about 2 or 3 years now. Straps and fittings have held up great, and honestly the only lighter helmet from catlike (at the time, not sure about this MY) costs about $200 more (the mixino, which is what their sponsored road folk wear). Also it comes in matte black. I cut the visor out of mine immediately, but if you're just commuting in it, the brim might not be so irritating.

Berns are OK but they really are quite heavy and get hot in the summer. Helmets are one of those things where you just have to accept that there isn't one that looks cool and kinda lean into it imo. Helmets are goofy looking by nature, but miles better than a TBI.

mcatano

committed
committed

Postby mcatano » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:45 am

Another one to consider is the Giro Aspect—it's a little more expensive than the reverb, but is lighter and better vented. I'd also suggest trying a couple on at your local bike shop—different brands tend to fit differently (some are rounder, some more oblong, some deeper, etc), and finding one that's comfortable out of the box isn't really possible without checking a few options out in person.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:24 pm

mcatano wrote:I'm a big fan of the Catlike Tako Urban for both commuting and actual bike racing.

What sort of racing do you do? I'm really keen to do some racing this spring and summer but I don't think it'll actually happen. The things that appeal to me most are cyclocross and crits, both of which pretty well require types of bikes that I don't own.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm

univalve wrote:I like the MTB helmets with the visor (in rain, darkness with blinding Lights). Right now i use a MET helmet. When i get a new one i Will Go with a MIPS equiped one (saves probably your Brain).

This is what I do.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Return to General Discussion