Seeking Chianti recs

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Seeking Chianti recs

Postby Big Mon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:16 am

I've never had Chianti. Is it worth my time? What do you recommend? The more budget-friendly, the better-GO!
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Seeking Chianti recs

Postby Inconuucl » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:18 am

Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby aedes » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:52 am

aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby popvulture » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Go for Barbera instead!

Love,

Vicariously living sober guy
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Big Mon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Inconuucl wrote:Image

I gonna bytchu :animal:

aedes wrote:Image

Look like a couple o' fancy asses to me :snax:

popvulture wrote:Go for Barbera instead!

Love,

Vicariously living sober guy

Solid! I will check that out. Had to do a little research, but "wine of the people" grabbed my attention. :thumb:
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby RumoRazzi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:11 am

Search for Chianti Classico Gallo Nero.
It’s the quality made in the greatest geographical zone for the wine, between Firenze and Siena.
The bottles must have a black rooster stamp on it.
http://www.chianticlassico.com/
RumoRazzi

involved
involved

Postby plaidbeer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Big Mon wrote:I've never had Chianti. Is it worth my time? What do you recommend? The more budget-friendly, the better-GO!

What price do you want to stay under? And yes, Chianti is worth your time although you can get a lot of Sangiovese-based wines that aren't from Chianti. I had a rather excellent one from here in Texas this past Friday night.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby Big Mon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:20 pm

plaidbeer wrote:
Big Mon wrote:I've never had Chianti. Is it worth my time? What do you recommend? The more budget-friendly, the better-GO!

What price do you want to stay under? And yes, Chianti is worth your time although you can get a lot of Sangiovese-based wines that aren't from Chianti. I had a rather excellent one from here in Texas this past Friday night.

I typically stay away from anything over 20.00 a bottle ( I also typically drink Nighthawk Black or Pinot Noir from Bota Box but am trying to branch out a little). I'm not, by any stretch, a connoisseur, but I do enjoy (mostly) red wines of all types. I've only really had your garden variety reds: Merlot/Cab/Bordeaux, Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Malbec, and Shiraz, and various blends.
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Big Mon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 pm

RumoRazzi wrote:Search for Chianti Classico Gallo Nero.
It’s the quality made in the greatest geographical zone for the wine, between Firenze and Siena.
The bottles must have a black rooster stamp on it.
http://www.chianticlassico.com/

They have auctions for this, huh? And starting bids seem to be well out of my range, but I bet it's delicious.
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby plaidbeer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Big Mon wrote:
plaidbeer wrote:
Big Mon wrote:
I typically stay away from anything over 20.00 a bottle ( I also typically drink Nighthawk Black or Pinot Noir from Bota Box but am trying to branch out a little). I'm not, by any stretch, a connoisseur, but I do enjoy (mostly) red wines of all types. I've only really had your garden variety reds: Merlot/Cab/Bordeaux, Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Malbec, and Shiraz, and various blends.

Some Chiantis I've liked:
Monsanto (yes, that's their actual name and no, they're not part of that evil agri corporation)--$20-$25
Monte Antico (Sangiovese blend, can be found everywhere for $12 or less)
Kirkland (Costco)--around $10 or so
Antinori Riserva Chianti Classico--should be around $25, maybe less?
Capezzana Barco Reale di Carmigano Sangiovese blend
Ruffino Modus (blend of Sangio/Cab Sauv/Merlot) for around $17 and widely available. I dig it.

Sangiovese really shines with food. I like acidic wines, so I'm good with it solo, but it really shows best with food. I typically have it with pastas with read sauces or vodka sauce or pizza.

I love Italian wines--there's a lot to expire as the entire country is nearly a vineyard with lots of variety to choose from and they're all food-friendly wines.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby Big Mon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:23 pm

Much obliged, plaidbeer. I will definitely pick up one or more of these.
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby plaidbeer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Anytime, mane. And as was mentioned earlier by popvulture, Barbera is a great varietal to check as is Montepulciano d' Abruzzo. They're both a little less acidic and are crowd pleasers and damn near pair with anything. Crazy good with pizzas.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby Big Mon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:51 pm

plaidbeer wrote:Anytime, mane. And as was mentioned earlier by popvulture, Barbera is a great varietal to check as is Montepulciano d' Abruzzo. They're both a little less acidic and are crowd pleasers and damn near pair with anything. Crazy good with pizzas.

I wanted to grab the Kirkland's because of the price, but I'm in bumfuck Alabama and don't have a Costco anywhere near me, so I did some digging and found this at a Kroger and grabbed it
castello-di-gabbiano-chianti-classico-docg-tuscany-italy-10691512.jpg
castello-di-gabbiano-chianti-classico-docg-tuscany-italy-10691512.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 2926 times

We're having lasagna tomorrow night, so I figure I'll uncork and have some with my noms :drool:
The reviews I've read have all been very good.
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby plaidbeer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:38 pm

Big Mon wrote:
plaidbeer wrote:Anytime, mane. And as was mentioned earlier by popvulture, Barbera is a great varietal to check as is Montepulciano d' Abruzzo. They're both a little less acidic and are crowd pleasers and damn near pair with anything. Crazy good with pizzas.

I wanted to grab the Kirkland's because of the price, but I'm in bumfuck Alabama and don't have a Costco anywhere near me, so I did some digging and found this at a Kroger and grabbed it
castello-di-gabbiano-chianti-classico-docg-tuscany-italy-10691512.jpg

We're having lasagna tomorrow night, so I figure I'll uncork and have some with my noms :drool:
The reviews I've read have all been very good.

Gabbiano has always made solid Chianti. Good pasta/pizza wine and should pair well with lasagna.

If you want to experiment more with Italian reds on a budget (and are still good), look out for Michele Chiarlo Barbera. About $10-$12 per bottle or Monte Antico, the Sangio/Cab/Merlot blend for around $11. These should be available in pretty much any of the larger cities in Alabama.

Btw, these guys are a wine importer based in Alabama, so you should see plenty of these wines around:
http://www.vineyardbrands.com/content/V ... 51-908.pdf

I've had the La Vieille Ferme & Perrin family wines (both Rhone valley producers), Wolftrap (South African red blend), Tablas Creek wines ('murcan), and Marques de Caceres (Spanish) and they're all widely available and reliably good and not very expensive.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby Big Mon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Fantastic! I'm always looking for new wines to try. You are a font of useFUL information :thumb:
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Discussion