Rrrrats! (aowaaaahaaaaaaah)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Rrrrats! (aowaaaahaaaaaaah)

Postby BitchPudding » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:50 pm

I hate that my brain always gravitates to that Ghost song now. :lol:

But yea, Rat pedals! Never tried them, but I'm mad curious. As of course is tradition for anyone looking for them tones, I'm always on the hunt for the perfect drive tone.
Ideally that sound is:
Thick and fuzzy for chords, clear for single notes and riffs.

So far I've gotten there by using a Boss Super Overdrive and boosting it with a BOG fuzz face mini, and them have the boss on its own for my rhythm sounds. But maybe a Rat would be a simpler way to get there?

I dunno. Anyone who owns one wanna chime in here?
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Rrrrats! (aowaaaahaaaaaaah)

Postby adamajah » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:35 pm

It feels sacrilegious to say anything negative about RATs but they sit firmly in the mid-range, especially if you have it set trebly to hear single notes in yer riffage. Its upper midrange is its best quality and why it's so beloved in a mix.

So, if big fat lows are part of what you're going for you might be disappointed.

I think that's why there's the FatRat and why people commonly mod RATs to have more bass. I personally love the stock RAT sound to death.
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby ck3 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:05 pm

The Yellowcake Furry Burrito has a bass boost switch, and the Valeton Dark Tale offers a two band EQ with more than ample low end on tap. Both Rat clones are capable of the usual gain range the circuit provides.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:25 pm

I am unsure about the new Chinese made ones but older Rats have lows just fine, I am %100 sure the issue is with improper usage of amps.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby adamajah » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:41 pm

The pedal that launched a thousand bass boost mods and all they had to do was use their amps "properly"?

:thumb:
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:35 pm

BitchPudding wrote:I hate that my brain always gravitates to that Ghost song now. :lol:

But yea, Rat pedals! Never tried them, but I'm mad curious. As of course is tradition for anyone looking for them tones, I'm always on the hunt for the perfect drive tone.
Ideally that sound is:

So far I've gotten there by using a Boss Super Overdrive and boosting it with a BOG fuzz face mini, and them have the boss on its own for my rhythm sounds. But maybe a Rat would be a simpler way to get there?

Get a TAFM. That shit's legit. It has fuzz and gain, a mid scoop, clean blend.. Plus the gate mode goes to full fuzz. :idk:

Just saying. It sounds huge
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm

I have the whiteface RI and it's... ok? Tbh I've had just as good if not better luck with the Rat2, though that could be sacrilege to some.

But yep, can't deny it being used by plenty of amazing people (hellooooooograhamcoxonprobablymyfavoriteguitarist) but it's never been my go-to. Diff'rent skrokez.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BitchPudding » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:54 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:
BitchPudding wrote:I hate that my brain always gravitates to that Ghost song now. :lol:

Ideally that sound is:

Get a TAFM. That shit's legit. It has fuzz and gain, a mid scoop, clean blend.. Plus the gate mode goes to full fuzz. :idk:

Just saying. It sounds huge

BIG MAYBE TBH. I'm just not sure when I could make it happen. Tax season? Once I've paid off the aqueduct? We'll see.

popvulture wrote:I have the whiteface RI and it's... ok? Tbh I've had just as good if not better luck with the Rat2, though that could be sacrilege to some.

But yep, can't deny it being used by plenty of amazing people (hellooooooograhamcoxonprobablymyfavoriteguitarist) but it's never been my go-to. Diff'rent skrokez.

Yeaup, Graham Coxon is the man. Didn't realize he used one but im not surprised.
I run a lot of lows and not much highs with my amp already, so IDK how big of a difference a rat will make in that. Especially stacked. They're cheap tho, so I could afford to get one to try at least.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:19 pm

Buy a Fuzzrocious Cat Tail/King, pay the extra for the blend knob, and call it a day.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:09 am

Bassist_Diver wrote:Buy a Fuzzrocious Cat Tail/King, pay the extra for the blend knob, and call it a day.

Is the QA on the Cat Tail better now? (not trying to shit-talk because I like Ryan but, uhhhhh, all the gutshots I've seen of the Rat Tail/King looked like they came from an Italian restaurant)
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 am

BitchPudding wrote:I run a lot of lows and not much highs with my amp already, so IDK how big of a difference a rat will make in that. Especially stacked. They're cheap tho, so I could afford to get one to try at least.

I plugged in my whiteface RI right after commenting the other night and it does sound pretty good, but my overall comment would be that it's a bit harsh/shrill—the best sounds I was getting were with the bassiest settings, with the filter knob from 3 o' clock to fully clockwise. I compared it to an HM2 and an Elements, both of which sounded better to my ears... the former was less tight but definitely more tunable, and of course the Elements is super tweakable, so no surprise that I could get a better sound out of it.

This makes me wanna check out a Rat 2 again... I do remember it sounding a lot rounder.

So yeah, in short, if you're going Rat, based on my experience I'd say just stick with a cheaper version. :idk:

And edited to add that the cheaper ones have a FUCKING LED. Novel concept!
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lost in music » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:22 pm

Bassist_Diver wrote:Buy a Fuzzrocious Cat Tail/King, pay the extra for the blend knob, and call it a day.

Seconded. I have a Cat Tail and it's all I want in dist/OD except that I'm planning on upgrading to a King next time I have the loot.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby Mudfuzz » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 pm

popvulture wrote:e a FUCKING LED. Novel concept!

That's really the only reason I use a Fatrat... I set it to get the same sound as my 90's Vintage-Rat.. I din't find the fat setting very fat, just scooped.. :idk:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby BitchPudding » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Word. All good things to know.

TBH I've been lusting after anything Fuzzrocious for a while, I'm just a broke bitch. But that Cat King looks fucking tiiiiiight. Plus I wanna support Ryan and his fam of course.

Kid paint ftw.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Discussion