· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General discussion at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Re: Non music related gear addictions / hobbies

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:05 am

Just got a set of lightly used Phil Wood hubs with Mavic Open Pro Ceramic wheels for $250. One Phil Wood hub costs ~$250 new. Bike gear is great on the used market because its so plentiful.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:40 am

for you weekend warrior trekkin hippies

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:35 pm

This is the best gif of all time maybe?

Probably.

I get a bit into running and cycling gear every now and then when I'm doing more, but I mostly try to keep my other hobbies low on gear to compensate for the high levels of music gear.

That said, I want to get a more good cooking equipment at some point because I love it and spend a great deal of time doing it. Better chef's knife, deep fryer, rice cooker........

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:33 am

Tabletop games (mostly board games, Magic: the Gathering, Pathfinder, Star Wars RPG, Numenera, Warhammer 40,000, Star Wars: X-Wing, but have also dabbled in Warmachine, Star Trek: Attack Wing, Dungeons & Dragons, and Star Trek RPG)
Comic books (mostly X-Men)
Stunt kites (mostly two-line, some four-line)

Comics and board games are the least "gear-y", but all of these involve collecting, and kites and miniatures games are both pretty gear-heavy.

BetterOffShred wrote:Warhammer 40k, woodworking, drones ..

What 40K factions do you play? I'm mostly doing T'au these days, but I also have a large Necrons army, a large but mostly retired Grey Knights army, and have been working on getting Thousand Sons together.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:01 am

when i was more active i spent a pretty penny on cycling and backpacking gear...my bike cost $1250 in 1997 (end-of-season markdown from $1600) and i still have the 60-liter backpack with the carbon-fiber stays, but a lot of my camping gear got lost in divorces and relocations. i want to start getting back into the woods, though, so i'll likely start collecting camping gear again next year when i can afford to do so.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:21 am

coldbrightsunlight wrote:That said, I want to get a more good cooking equipment at some point because I love it and spend a great deal of time doing it. Better chef's knife, deep fryer, rice cooker........

Nothing better than a great knife. The most essential tool in my kitchen for sure. You going western or Japanese?

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 am

bennroe wrote:Tabletop games (mostly board games, Magic: the Gathering, Pathfinder, Star Wars RPG, Numenera, Warhammer 40,000, Star Wars: X-Wing, but have also dabbled in Warmachine, Star Trek: Attack Wing, Dungeons & Dragons, and Star Trek RPG)
Comic books (mostly X-Men)
Stunt kites (mostly two-line, some four-line)

Comics and board games are the least "gear-y", but all of these involve collecting, and kites and miniatures games are both pretty gear-heavy.

BetterOffShred wrote:Warhammer 40k, woodworking, drones ..

Been collecting and playing off and on for like 12 years.. huuuge daemon army, huuuge CSM army .. a billion orks.. Nids, and Grey knights. I honestly like painting more than playing these days.. my son will want to play soon :joy:

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:32 am

I spend a lot more time on the hobby aspect than playing too, but the current edition is sooooo much better than the last few that I've been playing a fair amount and been excited about playing again. If you haven't checked it out yet, definitely give the new edition a chance. It's pretty streamlined, so it'll be easier to teach your son too.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:44 pm

Muff_Diver wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:That said, I want to get a more good cooking equipment at some point because I love it and spend a great deal of time doing it. Better chef's knife, deep fryer, rice cooker........

Nothing better than a great knife. The most essential tool in my kitchen for sure. You going western or Japanese?

Have been thinking western, it's what I'm used to. But I'm certainly no expert and like trying new things. Been waiting till I have a kitchen all my own (still a ways off) to get really nice stuff haha.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Figurines and Action Figures.

Toys essentially. I'm a man, a man with a massive collection of figures. Bunch of Amiibo, Funko Pops, A few NECA Gojis. Need to stop BSing and pull the trigger on some S.H. Monsterarts stuff one of these days. Fortunately NECA is rad as fuck for figures on the cheap. I really wanna get their Shin Godzilla and the Pennywise Figures they dropped. The TMNT set they released is sick too.

I'm also a slut for VHS tapes. Makes me nostalgic. Yuh.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:19 am

I'm dabbling with getting back into action figures too. I have the Kitty Pryde and Rogue X-Men Legends figures from a few years ago, and a few Star Wars Black Series figures, and I'd like to get more. So many hobbies, so little money...

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:49 am

I can only afford the one hobby; all the other money goes to student loans and beer to try to make me forget the student loans

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:50 am

My only other hobby is entertaining my youngest daughter (5), which costs quite a bit ;)

She's currently a big fan of Lego Legends Of Chima, which is fortunate to some degree as it was discontinued in 2016, which means there's lots of cheap stuff on ebay and no brand new, way more expensive items in toy shops. Not only that, but there are plenty of places to obtain missing bits (this probably matters more to me than my daughter ;) ) for relatively small amounts.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:07 pm

In a round about way it's related to music, but: analog electronics test gear (tubed Tektronix oscilloscopes in particular), and mid century wood working tools.

I used to collect console stereos, but that gets ridiculous fast.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:25 pm

friendship wrote:I can only afford the one hobby; all the other money goes to student loans and beer to try to make me forget the student loans

Yeah, not drinking has helped a lot with being able to spread myself thin between hobbies.
Post a reply