Non music related gear addictions / hobbies

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Non music related gear addictions / hobbies

Postby friendship » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:01 am

Not a ton of nature in NYC, but I go for a walk around the park every Saturday. Coincidentally, that's also the day for my weekly library visit! I love reading, and I love the library. Right now I'm in reading a big tome about mindfulness meditation.

I could definitely amp up my reading and nature walk, though, especially if I get off my ass and travel to more remote nature sites.

That's amazing about the weight loss, dub! Congratulations!
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:26 am

thanks! i'm fucking thrilled about it. fixed my low-grade diabetes and high blood pressure, and everything is easier now from hard exertion to simply walking down the street.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Circuithead » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:04 pm

I have discovered Metal Earth models and I'm fucking addicted to building them.

If you're a detail obssessed minutia junkie, do yourself a favor, get some clippers and hobbyist tweezers and buy a couple of them. Beware of knock-offs.

The more time you take to think, the straighter and nicer the models will turn out.
Circuithead

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:10 pm

what are they? never heard of them.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby goroth » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:46 am

Circuithead wrote:I have discovered Metal Earth models and I'm fucking addicted to building them.

If you're a detail obssessed minutia junkie, do yourself a favor, get some clippers and hobbyist tweezers and buy a couple of them. Beware of knock-offs.

The more time you take to think, the straighter and nicer the models will turn out.

These look pretty rad!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Circuithead » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:47 am

dubkitty wrote:what are they? never heard of them.

In a nutshell :

They are no joke though, you will need some tools to make them fun, otherwise you'll hate it.

Cut the pieces out of the sheets with something like this :

Use assorted tweezers to make good straight bends.

These types of flat clamp slant tip tweezers work amazing : Image

The rest of my "tools" is just basically a 5$ manicure kit with assorted types of needle tip and flat tip tweezers.

Mind the instructions, sometimes you have to bend connecting tabs, sometimes you twist them, other than that, all you need is patience and mindful fingering.

I do them in front of the TV on a lap desk while my girlfriend watches Frasier. She's a keeper.
Circuithead

committed
committed

Postby Achtane » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:51 am

dubkitty wrote:thanks! i'm fucking thrilled about it. fixed my low-grade diabetes and high blood pressure, and everything is easier now from hard exertion to simply walking down the street.

You did well, man. That's a lot of work. I need to do the same, I definitely need to lose weight and get off the blood pressure medication. Exercise really does make you feel much better all around.

Those Metal Earth models are sweet but the more complex ones are too intricate for my attention span :lol:
I did put together a semihollow bass one and that was cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:39 pm

I was all about music and gear and then after having kids (over 8 years ago) I caught the craft beer bug pretty hard and built up a cellar and a massive collection of beer glassware. Definitely a good way to waste time, money, and your life/health. After close to a decade of drinking pretty heavily pretty much all of the time and having my life revolve around it, I've found that the wear and tear is such that I can't drink anymore and have cut back to almost nothing. I've sold off a bunch of bottles and glasses and reinvested back into pedals and playing music.

As far as hobbies go, it has it all...obsessive fandom, internet forums and groups dedicated to discussion and buying/selling, profiteer sh.tlords exploiting fandom. Easy to meet people and make friends, but a HUGE money sink (just like gear - the only difference being that once used, you pee it out and can't resell). It has the added bonus of coming with a buzz when you participate in fests and tastings, and it will certainly kill time. My family is very happy that I've refocused my hobby attention back to music and away from the craft beer scene.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby nad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Jeepoo.jpg

Re-tubing a Mesa 400+ is cheaper than re-gearing a Jeep. I cannot afford a third hobby, time nor money. :omg:

Bookshelves don't count as gear, and all my books are cheap/used/free anyhow. Huzzah, inexpensive fun! :joy:
Those whose nose knows the noes.
nad

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:43 pm

That reminds me to go and read a book. Thanks Nad.
Just started Children of Time.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Benn Roe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Benn Roe wrote:I'm dabbling with getting back into action figures too. I have the Kitty Pryde and Rogue X-Men Legends figures from a few years ago, and a few Star Wars Black Series figures, and I'd like to get more. So many hobbies, so little money...

Since posting this I got into action figures pretty hard. I've damn near collected all the X-Men-related Marvel Legends since they rebooted as the Infinite Series. Just missing a couple of recent ones. My Star Wars collection is a lot more selective, but I don't have much left on my want-list there either.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:55 am

I used to be a semi-pro aggressive inline skater, but my knees and left hip are just shattered now. Placed 3rd in the national championship back in the day. Neat! Now I only skate maybe once ot twice a year, simply to hang out with those friends. Body can't take slams anymore.

These days I'm just reading, playing videogames and going on hikes with my doggos, none which are extremely costly (steam sales, woo!). I'll be renovating a house for the next few months, but idk if I'd call it a hobby as much as a chore, but it sure is expensive. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dapper Bandit » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:12 am

Books and maybe videogames count as my other hobbies. Books run me a close second to music, cost wise because whilst I tend to get them second hand we have some charity book sales in my area that can be seriously dangerous for my storage. Used to be into the miniature painting thing but then we got cats.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:10 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:I used to be a semi-pro aggressive inline skater, but my knees and left hip are just shattered now. Placed 3rd in the national championship back in the day. Neat! Now I only skate maybe once ot twice a year, simply to hang out with those friends. Body can't take slams anymore.

These days I'm just reading, playing videogames and going on hikes with my doggos, none which are extremely costly (steam sales, woo!). I'll be renovating a house for "the next few months", but idk if I'd call it a hobby as much as a chore, but it sure is expensive. :lol:

Best of luck to you, Sir. :lol:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:38 am

UglyCasanova wrote:I used to be a semi-pro aggressive inline skater, but my knees and left hip are just shattered now. Placed 3rd in the national championship back in the day. Neat! Now I only skate maybe once ot twice a year, simply to hang out with those friends. Body can't take slams anymore.

These days I'm just reading, playing videogames and going on hikes with my doggos, none which are extremely costly (steam sales, woo!). I'll be renovating a house for the next few months, but idk if I'd call it a hobby as much as a chore, but it sure is expensive. :lol:

Semi Pro?

Is this you?

Also the film which introduced the world (or at least my understanding of the world) to the best piece of swearing ever: "Cock SANDWICH that hurt!"
:lol:

(Swearing montage below is good)

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion