Non music related gear addictions / hobbies

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Non music related gear addictions / hobbies

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:03 am

Nothing as specialized as that. I’m on real tight budget these days, so I’m just doing little upgrades on my commuter bike. It’s a public bike, just like an old-fashioned, aluminum road bike. If the hobby really sticks, I see myself ending up with a proper road bike and something for gravel/camping/whatevs. Those are the two areas that I’m already really into and I’m just making it work on the bike I have.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:18 pm

None of my hobbies are as costly or as gear oriented as music making.

These are mostly:
- cycling, of which I have a cheap (€400) single speed one. Though this might get converted to carry things and whatnot for city living and I might get a better one for fun if I have the use for it.
- cooking, though I keep the gear simple and affordable, it’s more about making solid combinations of tasty and healthy.
- reading, mostly science fiction / heroic fantasy or nerd things like economics.
- I’m also a big cars, airplanes and trains and energy / power generation nerd, but that’s mostly about documentaires and books.
- I do sports like going to gym and yoga and some running, but same as cycling, not very gear oriented (a pair of running shoes I like, a couple pairs of tights and shirts and a rain jacket for running... a backpack with chucks, water and a towel for the gym...)
- I do however collect socks and have to admit enjoying shopping for clothes every once in a while.

I guess that’s about it.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bassist_Diver » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:37 pm

I consider myself a fairly serious home cook. Ms. Diver may be a master baker, but she will wholly admit that I can a knife much better than she can.

I used to play rugby and SCUBA dive, but the former ended after my joints were practically disintegrated. I also have an eye condition that keeps me from doing the latter. I can still snorkel and shallow dive, though, but have been too busy with work and life to really get out and splash.

Strangely, though, I can still lift heavy and do Olympic lifting. Also, living in Austin gives me access to a LOT of rivers, so I may take an interest in rowing/canoeing/kayaking in lieu of diving. I already use a row machine for cardio, so why not do the real thing?
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:02 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:
PuddysJacket wrote:Books. If I was a rich man I'd be the loser paying six figures for signed editions.

Hehe. Nice. I have a 1984 printing .. of 1984

Interesting, I'm reading 2018 A.D. in 2018 A.D. … it's a sci-fi book
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:33 pm

PuddysJacket wrote:Books. If I was a rich man I'd be the loser paying six figures for signed editions.

The only "nice" books I have are Tolkien books. I have a lot of free used stuff, and usually go for the cheaper pockets if buying new.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:13 pm

I have the nicest book there is

that's right folks I'm talking about the Bible
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:43 pm

friendship wrote:I have the nicest book there is

that's right folks I'm talking about the Bible

That's a funny way of spelling "Oghma Infinium"
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby adamajah » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:55 pm

my only non music related hobby is snacking. i need help.
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby Achtane » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:11 pm

adamajah wrote:my only non music related hobby is snacking. i need help.

Why not combine them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby adamajah » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:28 pm

Achtane wrote:
adamajah wrote:my only non music related hobby is snacking. i need help.

Why not combine them?

I regularly have to dust tortilla chip crumbs off my guitar so I guess I already do
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:41 pm

Bumping this thread because I am completely burnt out on music and need something to fill my time
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Reading is the thing I'm second most obsessed with. It's not even ruinously expensive unless you go in for special editions and rare stuff. There are magical places where you get books for free. :eek:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Public libraries!
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:08 pm

Nature walks?
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:10 am

well, since i posted in here a year ago i spent a metric fuckton of money on clothes and camping gear. in the past 2-3 years i lost 40+ pounds and 6 inches off my waistline, so literally none of my clothes fit any more. pretty much everything i've bought has been used or end-of-season remainders, or it would have been 3 times as costly. i mostly went in for outdoors/hiking/camping/climbing clothes because outdoor clothing is usually more durable and comfortable than civilian wear. the camping gear has mostly been shoes and small things to use while car camping, but i did get a super-lightweight Nemo sleeping pad that's like 5" thick. the best thing, though, has been a little headlamp from BioLite...it's lightweight, comfy, has long built-in battery life, and recharges via a mini-USB port. and was only like $49. i also have a really bad addiction to buying band t-shirts on eBay and Etsy...lately the disease has gotten worse to where i'm spending $75-$150 per item on ultra-rare shirts, e.g. an original 1972 Hot Tuna shirt issued by Grunt (the Airplane's record label) that i'd never even *seen* before. i justify this by noting that all i ever wear on my top half is t-shirts.

anyway, i'm looking to get an ultralight backpacking thing together. at this point i have the vast majority of what i need other than a suitable pack, a lightweight freestanding tent, and maybe a lightweight/colder weather sleeping bag since my current ones (i have 2) are semi-rectangular 30° bags. i had to move the Rocky Mountains trip down to next year, so that gives me a year to get ready.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion