Non music related gear addictions / hobbies

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Non music related gear addictions / hobbies

Postby misterstomach » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Mostly outdoors kind of stuff. Camping, hiking, canoeing. Hunting and fishing. Shooting. Smoking meats and cheeses. Carpentry and woodworking tools, although that's related to work, as well as a hobby. Looking at that list, it seems pretty redneck. That's okay, I guess. I also collect old typewriters. Kind of drives wifey nuts so I've laid off that a bit.

You'd think I had a lot of money with all those expensive hobbies, but it's not the case. I have to go in cycles of what I spend money on. It's why I don't flip pedals often or post many pics of new gear. I spread myself too thin.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Currently not buying much of anything but most recently: retrogaming with pro CRT rig(s).

formerly:
00s magazines: Make, Hi Fructose, Blue Canvas, Coilhouse, Juxtapoz, EQ, Mix, Remix, Elemental
90s magazines: Nintendo power, Gamepro, EGM, MAD, Big Brother, Playboy
Calvin & Hobbes books
The Far Side daily calendars
VHS & DVD
Skating, BMX
Vidya
Art supplies
Legos
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:21 am

I went to Harbor Freight and got a Japanese ryoba saw, some chisels, a #4 plane and clamps. All had good reviews for what they are.
The saw seems pretty awesome so far. I'm gonna make the other tools razor sharp and then build me a workbench.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Benn Roe » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:42 am

misterstomach wrote:You'd think I had a lot of money with all those expensive hobbies, but it's not the case. I have to go in cycles of what I spend money on. It's why I don't flip pedals often or post many pics of new gear. I spread myself too thin.

This is how I operate too.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby rustywire » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:21 pm

bennroe wrote:
misterstomach wrote:You'd think I had a lot of money with all those expensive hobbies, but it's not the case. I have to go in cycles of what I spend money on. It's why I don't flip pedals often or post many pics of new gear. I spread myself too thin.

This is how I operate too.

The great juggling act of being a modern day renaissance man and trying to stay debt-free without deep pocketed benefactor. It's why I've been through maybe 100 pedals this decade but my collection remains under 30, mostly keepers. Same goes for the other stuff I've been able to retain. The only complete collection I have of anything are series 1 and 2 Marvel Masterpiece cards, Cowboy Bebop & Outlaw Star DVDs.
Every so often I score a deal on something, or happen to own a future flavor of the moment that gains popularity and demand spikes, beckoning for that short (usually longterm) flip to fund other pursuits and interests as they develop, are rekindled, require maintenance etc. The reality is I enjoy buying things and loathe to sell, as I invest time researching purchases before investing in them. Got to give myself the best chance at finding what works, what I prefer, and at the very least something which will be desirable and useful to a buyer should my tastes change, which they do.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:40 pm

rustywire wrote:Currently not buying much of anything but most recently: retrogaming with pro CRT rig(s).

You fw900?
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Achtane wrote:I went to Harbor Freight and got a Japanese ryoba saw, some chisels, a #4 plane and clamps. All had good reviews for what they are.
The saw seems pretty awesome so far. I'm gonna make the other tools razor sharp and then build me a workbench.

Harbor freight clamps are great man. I spent a bunch on some squeeze clamps, and they aren't much better than the harbor freight jobs. A lot of people think you really have to squeeze the shit out of stuff.. but if you do, you squeeze out all the glue. I have a shitload of HF clamps and they all work fine for like 3$ or whatever.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:33 pm

(A voice from a distant past crys;you there!goooo skate))))
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby John Matrix » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:17 am

rustywire wrote:Currently not buying much of anything but most recently: retrogaming with pro CRT rig(s).

Can you show me a good place to start learning more about this? I finally bit the bullet and got a flat screen TV like 2 years ago...but now all my old games look like shit and the gun games don't work at all. I still have my big ass CRTV but the colors have kinda gone wrong. I was looking into upscalers or something like that but I got the impression that it was not a great solution.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby rustywire » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:52 am

http://retrorgb.com/240p.html Good place to start, then check out the rest of the site. It's full of most anything I might regurgitate in trying to explain.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Andrew » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:29 am

I'm really into Figures...

NSFW: show

I've been clean for about 8 months now though, thankfully.
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:13 am

Those are incredible
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 am

Biking. Want to get into building guitars or furniture. Dick around with electronics but never seem to make anything work.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:11 pm

This thread got me thinking and I've had a weird urge to get a Holga camera. I don't really have any experience with photography but I like the pictures these take and thought it could be a fun, not-too-expensive hobby maybe?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby John Matrix » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:08 pm

Just got a new tent during a labor day sale.

It's my first trekking pole shelter and I suck at setting it up still...but I probably won't actually use it till next spring anyway so I have time to practice.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion