Are we angry about this? - TC TonePrint Complaints

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Are we angry about this? - TC TonePrint Complaints

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am

Ugly Nora wrote:Nazis had a schtick too though.

I think you might be confusing Nazis with Mel Brooks:

:idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:12 pm

Ha Ha Ha and all, Chank, but it is not a far leap for the misogynists to go from saying women should stay in the kitchen, to saying they should be put in the oven.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:19 pm

I don't think Mel Brooks ever said that. :eek:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby _themissingshade_ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:31 pm

infamousalien wrote:The band is a joke and that's their schtick. Am I into it? No, but it's like getting upset at Stephen Colbert when he was his right wing character. Remember when people had a sense of humor and didn't get upset about every little thing?

I see where you are coming from. Righteousness and indignation can be exhausting to deal with, especially in a time where things snowball so quickly. However, I think there are a couple of things worth considering:

1. Colbert and Steel Panther are very different types of satire: namely, Colbert's character was always clearly pointing out the absurdity of his own position to criticize Republican politicians, whereas Steel Panther seem to exploit the absurdity of their act purely for their own gain.

2. "It's just a joke" is not a great excuse for being willfully offensive. While offensiveness is integral to comedy, the target of the potential offense (and who stands to gain from laughing at their offense) matters. Going back to Colbert, he typically mocked people of considerable wealth and power. There were rarely jokes that missed their mark and hit the wrong target. Whereas in the TC/Steel Panther case, the joke has either missed the mark, or more likely it's target was women in general, such that men who unironically think objectifying women is cool would jump on the opportunity to support a company that is willing to pander to their entitlement.

3. The music industry has been extremely gross to women for as long as it has existed. I mean, the industry is gross to everyone, but women have had it much worse. When a company thinks a joke like this is not only tolerable, but should be officially committed to, it shows women that the industry is still toxic. It's pretty telling that the great majority of people saying "it's just a joke" and "why get so upset?" are men. The idea brought up in an earlier post that "if the tables were turned men wouldn't be upset" doesn't hold any ground because men hold the vast majority of power in this world; men are not the ones being constantly objectified, used, and exploited for selfish ends.

4. There is conceptual distance between sexual innuendo and oppressive speech acts. "Big Muff" is a juvenile name for a pedal, but it's not really derogatory, just as "Swollen Pickle" isn't. But "Pussy Melter" isn't just a crude reference to anatomy. We can and should do more to make women feel welcome and comfortable in this environment, and calling out TC for their tone deaf business practices is a minimal step in the right direction.
_themissingshade_

Postby Ghost Hip » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Edit: themissingshade really articulated my feelings on it.

I don't like the joke, but its hard to put energy into a Toneprint name from a big company bought out by Behringer (I'm not making that up right?). It's a dumbass move for the company and I think people have a valid reason to not associate with that brand.

As for the band, I'm not familiar with who the fans are, but generally if the people you are making fun of are enjoying and agreeing with your satire, its probably not good satire. Satire should make those it is criticizing uncomfortable. I just imagine teenage boys listening to this shit and internalizing the message of women being disposable pieces of ass.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm

No one cares if you think it's funny or aren't offended. That's not the point.

Two women didn't think it was funny, started a petition, and now the toneprint is gone. Good job on their part for doing something about it and good job on TC (I guess, they kinda suck in general) for sort of owning up to it even though they tried to defend the tongue-in-cheek part.

The opinions of a bunch of unaffected dudes on message boards don't really matter, mine included.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Ah yes straight to the nazi thing. The official response of soy boys who have no argument. Because a joke 80's hair metal band is the same thing as genocide. Should have saw that coming. :picard: I wish I could have one discussion without some one saying "nazi." That hasn't happened since 2015.

nogodsnobedtimes wrote:No one cares if you think it's funny or aren't offended. That's not the point.
The opinions of a bunch of unaffected dudes on message boards don't really matter, mine included.

Oh right the opinions of men aren't valid anymore. This kind of thinking is exactly what got Trump elected, you know that right? So keep running with it and see where it gets you. I'm about to quit being a liberal and move to the republican party myself and I live in a "battleground" state.

Ghost Hip wrote:
As for the band, I'm not familiar with who the fans are, but generally if the people you are making fun of are enjoying and agreeing with your satire, its probably not good satire. Satire should make those it is criticizing uncomfortable. I just imagine teenage boys listening to this shit and internalizing the message of women being disposable pieces of ass.

The band have been around for at least a decade and all the people I know who are into the band, both men and women (I know quite a few women who like them) are from the punk/indie scene or community or whatever. So they're very liberal, tolerant, and accepting people. The band is making fun of that whole 80's hair thing while trying to have fun. Remember fun everyone?
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:41 pm

BRB joining the Republican party because no one will listen to my incoherent opinions about topics I demonstrably do not understand
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm

infamousalien wrote:

Ah yes straight to the nazi thing. The official response of soy boys who have no argument. Because a joke 80's hair metal band is the same thing as genocide. Should have saw that coming. :picard: I wish I could have one discussion without some one saying "nazi." That hasn't happened since 2015.

Sorry, but I'm unapologetically liberal. My opinions matter, and by extension, I matter.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:52 pm

friendship wrote:BRB joining the Republican party because no one will listen to my incoherent opinions about topics I demonstrably do not understand

What exactly don't I understand?
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:
infamousalien wrote:

Sorry, but I'm unapologetically liberal. My opinions matter, and by extension, I matter.

I never said your opinions didn't matter. I would never say anyone's opinion didn't matter because everyone should get a say in a democracy. I just think going straight to the nazi thing all the time is weak. It closes the door for open discussion before it begins.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Ugly Nora wrote: My opinions matter, and by extension, I matter.

No they don't you fucking commie.

:poke: :snax:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:02 pm

infamousalien wrote:It's fackin' comin' 'ome lads

IT'S COMING HOME

IT'S COMING HOME

FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 pm

infamousalien wrote:I never said your opinions didn't matter. I would never say anyone's opinion didn't matter because everyone should get a say in a democracy

Except for people offended by Pussy Melter, who should quit complaining and take a joke
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 pm

D.o.S. wrote:
infamousalien wrote:It's fackin' comin' 'ome lads

IT'S COMING HOME

IT'S COMING HOME

FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME

I don't get it.
infamousalien