Mexico bound. Any tips, do's or don'ts?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Mexico bound. Any tips, do's or don'ts?

Postby PanicProne » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Like the subject says. Headin to Mexico real soon. My gf's brother is getting married. I'm expecting a lot of culture shock but look forward to it.
Any recommendations, do's or don'ts in general? We'll be in Sinaloa btw. In and around Culican, Guamuchil and Mazatlan-ish, depending on the day.
Mostly psyched about the food tbh. Super high expectations.

Also, cool mexican bands or memes count as tips :P
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Re: Mexico bound. Any tips, do's or don'ts?

Postby rustywire » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Haven't been, but I've been told prevailing wisdom is you don't drink the water unless you personally see it come out of a sealed container. Good luck have fun!
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:58 pm

don't buy drugs. you REALLY don't want to see the inside of a Mexican jail.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Jwar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Do buy drugs but only from Pharmacies. They are crazy there. You can buy pain killers, steroids...all kinds of shit.

Stay out of the local areas at night.

Don't joke with the police, they don't think that you are funny, I know from experience. Also, avoid them at all costs.

I'd stay in places that are heavily trafficked by other tourist unless you have a guide you can trust.

Go to the Mayan Ruins if you can, those are really cool to see.

Para sail if you can, that is also awesome there.

Try the local foods, but DO NOT eat the fruits or drink the local water unless you want your ass to explode.

Do NOT bring anything questionable back with you either. You can buy alcohol and bring is back and some cool stuff, but don't bring anything that would be considered illegal back to your country. They scrutinize you a lot when coming back from Mexico. At least they do in the USA.

It's a fun place, just be safe.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Bassist_Diver » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Don't drink the tap water.

Dead. Fucking. Serious.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Yeah I've consumed the water and can attest that you will turn into a two-way firehose.

The food is absolutely delicious, though!
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 pm

never go full gringo.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 pm

find me a dang wife
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:35 pm

I was born in Sinaloa, I can help you.

Food....
You can get your typical American/Mexican food at most average restaurants, no biggie, but in the streets, expect greasy af food, very salty and lots of vegetables on top of everything.
And also seafood, another thing they know really well.
Everything is stupidly cheap over there, even a really fancy exotic steak.

People...
Sinaloans are for us what hillbillies are for you American guys, lots of rural areas and old customs/traditions, specially in Guamuchil. But people is really nice, they are kind and warm, just don't expect to be offered with free drugs or party unless you go to the typical tourists clubs, there are bunch of those in Mazatlan.

Weather...
HOT AF, don't even bring a jacket.

Music...
There are some punk and rock bands, but expect typical Mexican corridos music in 98 out of 100 speakers in Sinaloa, that music comes from over there and they're really proud of it.

These guys are from Sinaloa, now dead I guess, we used to call them the mexican Envy.

Women...
I know you have a gf, but... man. Another thing Sinaloa is well-known for, big big big asses and extremely gorgeous girls, most of them vulgar unfortunately. :(

Now the only downside... crime.
Sinaloa is also a state of crime and drug lords, key is not to mess with anyone, it will be fine for a typical tourist trip.

And yes, expect cultural shock but don't be scared, you'll make it ;) Let me know how it goes.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Lurker13 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Take anti diarrhea pills whenever traveling to another country.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby echorec » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:59 pm

My roommate was from Mexico City originally, and he took some friends down over a holiday (Monterrey?). Once they were nearly jailed for loitering outside the brother's home (was excused after paying a bribe of about $11). Earlier in the trip they were surrounded by a task force armed with assault rifles, because apparently they were too young to be driving around in a luxurious, 10-yr old Mazda minivan.

Other than those two close-calls, they had a good time. :thumb:
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BitchPudding » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Speaking from experience here:

-Depending on the area, the water may or may not be ok to drink. Never had a problem myself, but idk. Might just be my genetics keeping monta zuma from crawling right out my ass.
-Don't do anything that will land you in jail. The legal system is beyond fucked and super corrupt in Mexico. Don't think that just cause your a tourist that'll be enough to keep cops from fucking with you.
-DON'T BUY/BRING DRUGS INTO THE COUNTRY. Seriously, should be a no brainer. Plus you never know what your actually getting inside. Especially if la raza decides to see how pinche gringo behaves when on some crazy shit.
-Avoid shady areas. Cartels are a very real thing depending on where your at. Its like any other place, there are bad spots. Just avoid them.

OTHER THAN THAT.
-Eat all the food you can, especially the pork. Anything thats been stewing in a pot for a day that was killed that morning is gonna change your god damn life. I had some carnitas while I was visiting family that came from a pig that was killed that morning. Best god damn pork I've ever had, can't fuck with carnitas in the US, even from the taquerias. Its not the same boi. Shit had me shook right in my soul.
-Enjoy the scenery. Mexico is a beautiful country and theres lots to see. Take pics obvi, but make sure to put down that camera and just take it all in.
-Molotov is a fucking amazing hardcore/punk band from Mexico. Listen to their shit.

Have fun dude! Enjoy the motherland. :snax:
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PanicProne » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks for all the advise guys. I almost feel like I'm gonna disappoint at least half of you now but won't be doing anything drug/drinking- or eating meat wise since I'm vegan and straight edge haha. But all in all, I'm really looking forward to this trip, as soon as I get past the jetlag and fatigue from our 24h travel session we have coming up tomorrow.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:39 pm

there's nothing wrong with avoiding those things. how long are you going to be there for?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 pm

PanicProne wrote:Like the subject says. Headin to Mexico real soon. My gf's brother is getting married. I'm expecting a lot of culture shock but look forward to it.
Any recommendations, do's or don'ts in general? We'll be in Sinaloa btw. In and around Culican, Guamuchil and Mazatlan-ish, depending on the day.
Mostly psyched about the food tbh. Super high expectations.

Also, cool mexican bands or memes count as tips :P

well, it it was me, the whole trip would be an excuse to buy a swanky as fuck guitaron :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to General Discussion