The Last Jedi

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Last Jedi

Postby Invisible Man » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:04 pm

Have people made that argument?

Also love the though of you MURRRPing your way through some hedge fund office wearing one of those blue Oxford shirts with the white collars.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby dugwolf » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 pm

I like your movie vidret. Sad thing is I like probably 90% of the fan-fic versions better that that piece of crap we got.
vidret wrote:It feels unfathomable to me how they can't seem to write scripts in hollywood anymore, especially when they have the budgets of small countries but no one seems to go "uh maybe uh bb-8 shouldn't defeat phasma. maybe snoke shouldn't be total throwaway. maybe rey's ancestry shouldn't be completely throwaway either?"

This exactly. I’ll add maybe don’t hire two directors with two completely different visions to tell one story. OF COURSE the second person is just going to throw away everything the first person did.
dugwolf

committed
committed

Postby dozicusmaximus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:29 am

Finally saw this. Didn't really care for it. I was so bored. There was a scene where I'm like when did those two characters get back together?
Also I'm done with the perfect thing that needs to happen, happens for the good guys, shit. I know it's a kids movie, but sometimes it makes me throw my hands up. haha.

Over produced, sterile, fails at trying to be sincere, mimicking what once was- just like a lot of modern music.
Maybe I'm just old and don't feel that magical wonderment about anything anymore.

Overall I'm not really upset or anything. But Disney will ride this til the wheels fall off. Which will be a few more years. What I'm sick of is that anything that is/was great will be exploited until it's steaming pile of trash leaving a bad taste in your mouth. This isn't exclusive to Star Wars. Just Hollywood in general. Shit, music labels/radio too. It's been happening for a looong time. I just can't take it anymore. Now I'm upset.

dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:36 am

^^^
Network was a far better movie. And Ned Beaty doesn't get raped in the woods to boot.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:52 am

behndy wrote:also.... not to like.... start anything? and mebbe being a white ass dood that has a decent income puts me on the wrong side of discussing Privelege, but..... i dunno. it feels like people saying BEN SWOLLO KEN REY-REY IS THE MODERN BOOGEYMAN BECAUSE HE'S THE EPITOME OF WHITE PRIVELEGE LOOKING TO DESTROY ALL NON WHITE blah blah might be..... reaching?

murp. mebbe that's just me.

It's a discussion already happening, and you aren't on the wrong side of anything for feeling some kinda way about being drawn in.
How you were born is not of your choosing, what you do is something you can influence. Cease marginalizing yourself.
How you actually treat others, especially others who are different & disagreeable, is a better marker of character than which side you're on or perceived to be on. Ideologues in particular are going to rewrite your story to their perception & prejudice.

What I'm seeing has grown to become common, for hot-button issue-oriented content to bludgeon the viewer with symbolism and plainly-stated messages, and where the messages don't exist or are ambiguous, they will be invented and clarified by blogging town-criers who perceive as such, regardless. It becomes yet another purity test.
Funny thing, how self-fulfilling prophecy works. Same goes for spite-marketing and related consumption. Life is interesting :hobbes:

It's more entertaining to see the contemptuous, slacktivist ideologue squander no opportunity to 'make some dramatic statement' and broadcast their virtue [or what they consider virtuous] as all the world is a stage, while making themselves look entirely petty and ridic. Off-topic yet relevant:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:36 am

lol. that's.... pretty much how i feel. like, yes. there are some VERY important issues that are great that we actually discuss now. but...... there's a limit.

i know who i am, i know that i treat people the way they deserve to be treated based on the kind of person they are, not anything else.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:40 am

rustywire wrote:
behndy wrote:also.... not to like.... start anything? and mebbe being a white ass dood that has a decent income puts me on the wrong side of discussing Privelege, but..... i dunno. it feels like people saying BEN SWOLLO KEN REY-REY IS THE MODERN BOOGEYMAN BECAUSE HE'S THE EPITOME OF WHITE PRIVELEGE LOOKING TO DESTROY ALL NON WHITE blah blah might be..... reaching?

It's a discussion already happening, and you aren't on the wrong side of anything for feeling some kinda way about being drawn in.
How you were born is not of your choosing, what you do is something you can influence. Cease marginalizing yourself.
How you actually treat others, especially others who are different & disagreeable, is a better marker of character than which side you're on or perceived to be on. Ideologues in particular are going to rewrite your story to their perception & prejudice.

What I'm seeing has grown to become common, for hot-button issue-oriented content to bludgeon the viewer with symbolism and plainly-stated messages, and where the messages don't exist or are ambiguous, they will be invented and clarified by blogging town-criers who perceive as such, regardless. It becomes yet another purity test.
Funny thing, how self-fulfilling prophecy works. Same goes for spite-marketing and related consumption. Life is interesting :hobbes:

It's more entertaining to see the contemptuous, slacktivist ideologue squander no opportunity to 'make some dramatic statement' and broadcast their virtue [or what they consider virtuous] as all the world is a stage, while making themselves look entirely petty and ridic. Off-topic yet relevant:

I don’t follow this. Are you saying SJWs got ahold of it and are shifting conversations away from where they should be happening?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Snufkino » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 am

What we really should be asking is where the purple light sabers at?
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 am

I thought it was pretty fuckin sweet when TFA was a huge blockbuster hit with a black guy and a woman co-starring when hollywood (ESPECIALLY disney/marvel) have been too scared to do anything like it until now.

Then they carry on the narrative and it's all "oh noes the women and non-whites have stolen my space fantasy! my fragile boner!"??? Get outta here with that soft nonsense.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Olin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:33 am

Haven't cared much about the casting of TFA at all, but what does infuriate me is the accents. Why they make some English actors put on American accents and others don't have to is beyond me.
It's space, the accents shouldn't matter at all among aliens but apparently John Boyega's natural accent is what? Not "heroic" enough? Seems weird to put all the effort in to do a nice multicultural, diverse cast and then do that but whatever, man.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:02 am

Boyega said he tried his normal accent but it didn't feel right to him. I think it was his choice, not the studios? Just like Driver was allowed to make his own Kylo voice.

I basically imagine him sitting in a room with a mic and a bunch of effects pedals mumbling vaguely threatening phrases
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:06 am

neonblack wrote:
I basically imagine him sitting in a room with a mic and a bunch of effects pedals mumbling vaguely threatening phrases

That's literally how Bill Hader did BB8's 'voice'
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am

Bill Hader and Adam Driver obviously lurk
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Invisible Man wrote:
NSFW: show
rustywire wrote:

I don’t follow this. Are you saying SJWs got ahold of it and are shifting conversations away from where they should be happening?

No. I prob wouldn't have typed all that to make such a reductive point. Generally I also try to focus on accurately identifying the descriptive over spitballing the normative.
I posted:

-A selection of sloppily organized observations about ideologues [any extreme] attempting to co-opt and subvert popular IP, to use for pandering propaganda, while gaslighting anyone who is critical of this behavior. The authoritative similarities between proggy sjw and the ultra-orthodox right outnumber the differences.

-As [you] prev mentioned SW was a popcorn movie franchise. THE popcorn movie franchise. Now it's as if people are suddenly incapable of tempering their ideology and activism for 120 freakin minutes, yet somehow still suspend disbelief long enough to overlook glaring physical anomalies that leave STEM pros vexed, so everything that needs to go right for "the good guys" can happen. Esp frustrating in Sci-Fi.

-Tangental bemusement at the hills people choose for their graveyard while possibly cutting off nose to spite their face.

-Kind of a clusterfuck reply but man imagine actually buying JHS pedals, let alone to spite complete strangers :whoa:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Olin wrote:It's space, the accents shouldn't matter at all among aliens but apparently John Boyega's natural accent is what? Not "heroic" enough? Seems weird to put all the effort in to do a nice multicultural, diverse cast and then do that but whatever, man.

:erm:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion