Alternative to iTunes for Mac?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Alternative to iTunes for Mac?

Postby odontophobia » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 pm

weebles wrote:iTunes also has the frustrating habit of removing older music you didn’t buy on iTunes during the updates. So you have to find it on your computer and then play it for it to repopulate.

That’s a Windows/iTunes thing. It doesn’t do that in OS X. Won’t do it in windows if you choose to “copy to iTunes media folder.”
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby K2000 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:15 pm

iTunes is Apple's garbage dump for software tasks that they can't find another ap for. It should only be about music (not TV shows, managing your iPhone, etc etc).

Plus it's an organizational nightmare. Trying to organize and sort through music isn't just not-sexy, it's not easy. And the interface blows rancid goats. On multiple levels.

Here's something specific... why does iTunes bring songs into a playlist in reverse order, if you want to make a playlist out of an album you just imported? (I know, because the order is based on most-recent upload, blah blah blah).
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby drolo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:50 pm

When I still had a mac I was usually just storing my files manually in structured folder systems and played them with VLC. Occasionally I would use itunes to play by genres of playlists, shuffle etc

$harkToootth wrote:I've been using a FiiO mp3 player for years and am convinced it is the perfect MP3 player. Think of it like an external hard drive you can play. I use an older one cause it does exactly what I want it to do and nothing more. I just bought one for my best friend cause the model I have is like $50 used now. You will have to purchase a micro sd card with it. I bought 64GB but I think mine takes up to 128GB.
Highly recommend. FUCK ITUNES.

What FIIO do you have ? I bought a M3 last year and while it sounds great, the user interface is atrocious. Their support is pretty inexistent and they have already stopped updating firmware for it. I was pretty disappointed. Also bummed by the limited choices for portable audio players these days (unless you go up to the "audiophile" grade ... )
FUCK SMARTPHONES AND TABLETS FOR THAT !!
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby weebles » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:20 pm

odontophobia wrote:
weebles wrote:iTunes also has the frustrating habit of removing older music you didn’t buy on iTunes during the updates. So you have to find it on your computer and then play it for it to repopulate.

That’s a Windows/iTunes thing. It doesn’t do that in OS X. Won’t do it in windows if you choose to “copy to iTunes media folder.”

It has done it on 3 separate MacBooks and a MacBook Air even with the “copy to iTunes media folder” option. :idk:
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:56 am

weebles wrote:
odontophobia wrote:

It has done it on 3 separate MacBooks and a MacBook Air even with the “copy to iTunes media folder” option. :idk:

That’s ducking weird
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JonnyAngle » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:10 am

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:
JonnyAngle wrote:Yeah I tunes fucking sucks. Have to update shit every 5 seconds and then it goes into auto mode

Apple Music is the shit tho

Gotta get unlimited data tho

I use iTunes as a catalog. Maybe I'm missing why you all hate it? I literally don't understand why you wouldn't like it.

The issue I have is that I have 2 computers with 2 different Apple devices that I want different music on. My iPad just gets a few songs that i play bass along with. My iPhone was the one that was for listening to music in the car. It’s not easy to just add one song quickly to etiher device from either computer.

Since embracing Apple Music, haven’t had to open iTunes.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 am

I use iMazing, works great.
Faldoe

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:27 am

the layout for itunes is pretty terrible, as is the consequences for updating and other stuff like people have already said. Another thing is that when using .wav files or other uncompressed audio (at least with the current version i have) it is really weird about things like attaching album art and other stuff. In general, it is just made for mass marketing .mp3s to people to listen to from their smartphones, not really somebody who listens critically at home or wants to control a lot of the functions within a program.

I had never heard of Foobar, and was excited about it until i found out it is only for windows :excellent:
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby retinal orbita » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:50 am

I switched to Linux for a few years, and finding a player to manage my shit was actually extremely frustrating. And I tried EVERY PLAYER. Some were lousy about album art, some were orginazationally awful, some looked like shit or a combination of all three. And dragging and dropping using the finder to load my phone was a huge pain.

tl,dr but my laptop died, I moved my library back to my wife's Macbook and iTunes isn't great but it's shocking better than the alternatives. I use it for storage only, load my iPod up and listen on that so my usage is quite limited though.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:43 pm

ibarakishi wrote:the layout for itunes is pretty terrible, as is the consequences for updating and other stuff like people have already said. Another thing is that when using .wav files or other uncompressed audio (at least with the current version i have) it is really weird about things like attaching album art and other stuff. In general, it is just made for mass marketing .mp3s to people to listen to from their smartphones, not really somebody who listens critically at home or wants to control a lot of the functions within a program.

I had never heard of Foobar, and was excited about it until i found out it is only for windows :excellent:

Yeah this is my big problem, I use uncompressed audio a lot and need some kind of library and playback system that supports it without shitting the bed.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 pm

iTunes also loves to toss our your shit, disappear things you've bought on the itunes store, and generally fuck you while you're not looking.
In fact, if you're using an itunes version from the last 2 or 3 years, you agreed to allow itunes to delete shit off your hard drive at it's discretion. The example I read talked about a live cut or a demo of a song. Let's say it's "Bob's Big Burger" by The Fantastic Fart Feet. If you got the live cut some years ago, but you bought the album with the studio version on itunes, itunes can go ahead and shitcan your live version because it's not the "right" song. This is itunes working as designed. Hold on to your CDs.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Discussion