keeping your skills sharp when you're not playing much

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: keeping your skills sharp when you're not playing much

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:53 pm

popvulture wrote:In general I find that just playing every day, even just a little, keeps me sharp. I guess that falls in line with what you're saying, but yep... I find that it's not too important to follow any kind of rigorous routine, rather to just play something and enjoy yourself. For me at least, the latter's the most important; I feel like if I'm enjoying it, then good shit (sharpening/improvement/general happiness) comes with that naturally.

Matt Sweeny is sooooo cool :love:.
100% agreed.
Not for nothing but (and please make fun of me if this seems ridiculous) but I find visualization techniques 'don't hurt'. You certainly won't improve with these but during intense work periods, I would ride a stationary bike 30-40 minutes a day. I listened to predominantly to guitar driven music so I would intently visualize how to play along...I think it kind of helps in preventing kinesthetic atrophy? It won't do your dexterity any favors but it helps to keep thinking through "how" you would play something.

I like practicing finger picking patterns a lot. This activity is more a mental and physical exercise than a 'useful' one. Trying to get all five fingers in my picking hand picking in different time signatures...at the same time...I have never succeeded :lol: I liken it to lucid dreaming...lucid picking... :picard:
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Man, I sometimes pretend to be a realist but deep down I'm crunchy as fuck, so I totally see the merit in that visualization stuff. I mean... when do posi vibes not help? :zen:

Also apparently Matt Sweeney still does em? I guess it was more of a splintering thing between D'Addario and Noisey? Who knows... looks like there are some videos I need to catch up on.

neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Deen Ween is my all time favorite. So many life lessons that are transferable to all facets of life.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:11 pm

This thread inspired me to write a shitty screamo song because that's all I'm good for.

15 years of playing various instruments and I'm still not sure how to jam transitional parts into things. I love a good visceral change but god damn boy change it up a little.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:17 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Deen Ween is my all time favorite. So many life lessons that are transferable to all facets of life.

Haha yeah man on that one and the one with Homme, all parties seem to a bit on the grindy side...

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:41 pm

The Homme one is great. I love that they're just sweating it out. Homme and his imaginary scales. Very cool.
I have a total crush on the girl from WARPAINT so I like that one too...Fun Fact...she was in THE RULES OF ATTRACTION.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Oh god yeah. All of the girls in Warpaint are lovely :love:

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 pm

One...Hundred...Percent...
Welp...now we're having a party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6plcFQ330
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:17 pm

Actually, Deen Ween's 'Shed' is my highest aspiration in 'having a studio'. You can get a shed from home depot for like $900. Then what? By some insulation, soundproofing and (in my case) get a friend to do the electrical?

Thought of this thread today though. Listening to some Pat Metheny and there is a guy that will inspire you to start practicing again. I need to make time to practice at least an hour a day. Maybe two?
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Discussion