i don't trust them if....

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: i don't trust them if....

Postby Jwar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:18 pm

actual wrote:If your issues with the content in programming meant for kids are that great, then keep it out of your house. That's your prerogative as a parent, right?
Personally I think some of the shit that got made in the hippie heydays of the 70's (at least over here) could be much worse, re political content etc.

Well, I mean honestly, I'll admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite there. For me it's more of a societal issue. Who am I to restrict though? It's just like my opinion man. lol
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Olin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:20 pm

As Vidret said, a good story is a good story whomever it's made for. There are dozens of "children's films" which tell brilliant stories regardless of the audience, many have been mentioned in this thread: Watership Down, The Plague Dogs, When The Wind Blows, Grave of the Fireflies, Silver Fang, etc, etc. Even newer "kids films" haven't all been deplorable, and no more than the bad ones before that were around back in the day too (Up, Monsters Inc, Toy Story, The Iron Giant, Tangled, Inside Out, all modern kids movies which are not guilty of your criticisms). Sure all of this can be dismissed under "well that's subjective" and be ignored, but there are better options than the purportedly over-sexualised, pandering, subliminal message holding entertainment aimed at kids. There isn't a single criticism you listed which can't also be directly applied to a lot of entertainment marketed for adults, either, marketing is marketing and it goes for everyone, the only real difference is we're more able to choose what we do an don't watch and are able to see through some things that kids may not be able to.
I think to wantonly say "I don't like kids movies and adults who watch them are weird" is an odd thing to say given the enormous variety there is, and lumping in Watership Down with Superbabies: Baby Genius 2 doesn't make much sense. No one's asking you to apologise for not liking something or actually thinks any less of you for it, just disagree with your reasoning.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:41 pm

I think we can all agree 321 Contact was the best thing anybody put out for kids right?
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:53 pm

How could kids entertainment possibly be more dark and fucked up than it was through the 80's? I sat down to watch the Transformers and saw all the autobots get murdered and Optimus Prime get stabbed through the fucking heart. There was an episode of Punky Brewster with a monster talking through a dismembered kid's face fused into the wall of a cave. I feel like every kids sitcom had a very special episode where someone tried to kidnap and/or molest one of the kids. It would be a shorter list to try to figure out what entertainment aimed directly at me I saw before age 10 that WASN'T mentally scarring.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Olin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:56 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I think we can all agree 321 Contact was the best thing anybody put out for kids right?

Got too much love for Pingu and Grange Hill to concede that one. As long as we can all agree Peppa Pig is a monstrous cunt and that no sentient being should give that narcissistic, conceited, ignorant cretin anything more than a firm slap upside the head. She makes Caillou seem like a cool, chill guy to hang out with. It's hard to type with fists clenched this hard.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Olin wrote:As Vidret said, a good story is a good story whomever it's made for. There are dozens of "children's films" which tell brilliant stories regardless of the audience, many have been mentioned in this thread: Watership Down, The Plague Dogs, When The Wind Blows, Grave of the Fireflies, Silver Fang, etc, etc. Even newer "kids films" haven't all been deplorable, and no more than the bad ones before that were around back in the day too (Up, Monsters Inc, Toy Story, The Iron Giant, Tangled, Inside Out, all modern kids movies which are not guilty of your criticisms).

Sure all of this can be dismissed under, "well that's subjective", and can be ignored, but there are better options than the purportedly sexualized, pandering, subliminal message holding entertainment aimed at kids. There isn't a single criticism you listed which can't also be directly applied to a lot of entertainment marketed for adults, either, marketing is marketing and it goes for everyone, the only real difference is we're more able to choose what we do an don't watch and are able to see through some things that kids may not be able to.

I think to wantonly say "I don't like kids movies and adults who watch them are weird" is an odd thing to say given the enormous variety there is, and lumping in Watership Down with Superbabies: Baby Genius 2 doesn't make much sense. No one's asking you to apologize for not liking something or actually thinks any less of you for it, just disagree with your reasoning.

Bro. Use paragraph breaks please. :)

I wasn't trying to initially say that you are weird for watching them or if I did, that's not what I meant. I just find it odd in general. Like we never grow up in a sense. I can appreciate child films, but I don't like them. I appreciate and even laugh with my kids at times when they watch them. I'd never say "hey honey (my wife obs), wanna watch The Lion King" or insert whatever movie. I would however say "want to watch Lady Hawk, the Princess Bride or films of the like".

To me it's ok if you watch them, and I am also allowed to find it odd. I'm not judging you as a person, I just think it's funny in general. If you look at my original post I said it's sufferage (which technically is a slang word for suffering, it's not proper English I recognize that). I was saying kid movies suck in the sense that they are generally dull (in my opinion),formulaic, and involve entirely too much singing. That's my take.

I also said later "you do you". Soooooo...yea. Do you.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby behndy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:02 pm

oh man. Iron Giant.

SUPER..... MANNNN!!

fuck you Vin Diesel.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:12 pm

behndy wrote:oh man. Iron Giant.

SUPER..... MANNNN!!

fuck you Vin Diesel.

I like you.

Just to prove I'm not some kid of asshole I'll list some younger folks movies I still enjoy.

Hook, Karate Kid, Three Ninjas, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Never Ending Story, Labyrinth and so on.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Olin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:34 pm

There were paragraph breaks, in their correct places, I would not put a full break between two expository sentences.
I think you're missing the point a bit if you think I'm referring to myself, my comment had nothing to do with you calling me weird, and that it's weird to say adults who watch childrens films are weird. You said it's "weird suffrage", suffrage isn't "slang for suffering", it's the right to vote in elections, but whatever, that's not really the point.
I feel you're missing the point a bit and didn't really read what I said. If you think that all childrens films are formulaic, dull and involve too much singing, then I'd really recommend you watch some of the films people in this thread have referenced, because they are very far from all those things. Saying "you do you" after pursuing a discourse and furthering your argument is a cop-out and it doesn't work like that. I'll send you a copy of The Plague Dogs for you to watch with your kids, or your wide or on your own if you want. There's a surplus of kids films which don't contain the things you don't like which you're dismissing because of how you feel about a pretty narrow part of a broad genre.

Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Snufkino » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Olin wrote:There were paragraph breaks, in their correct places, I would not put a full break between two expository sentences.

Don't be that guy. Nobody likes that guy. :hug:
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby Snufkino » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:59 pm

SUPER..... MANNNN!!

fuck you Vin Diesel.

I know now why you cri

Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby Olin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Snufkino wrote:
Olin wrote:There were paragraph breaks, in their correct places, I would not put a full break between two expository sentences.

Don't be that guy. Nobody likes that guy. :hug:

I wouldn't if it wasn't being pointed out. It isn't something I would pay attention to if it wasn't mentioned.

Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Bendy...what other reasons do you not 'trust' people outside of scenes from media?

I've noticed a lot of people have been using that preface..."I don't trust people that..." "I don't trust people if..." My usual response to that is to politely follow their rules and say, "I guess you don't trust me then" and subsequently allow actions to prove yourself (oneself) trust worthy. Like a Kierkegaardian challenge.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Snufkino wrote:

SUPER..... MANNNN!!

fuck you Vin Diesel.

I know now why you cri

duh duhhhh duh da-duh
DUH DUHHH DUH DA-DUH
DUH DUHHH DUH DA-DUH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Peanuts Thanksgiving Special just started on ABC :hobbes:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion