Best and worst decades for ROK

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Best and worst decades for ROK

Postby GWFH » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:14 am

Best:

50s - Whitehead once said all of Western philosophy is merely footnotes to Plato. The same could be said of rock music with Chuck Berry and Little Richard

Worst:

This is a tough call. On the one hand, the 60s was simply miserable; the "British Invasion" particularly so. This is when rockers came under the delusion that they are more than just rockers, and that they are in fact at the head of society and culture in a political and conceptual sense. This wild arrogance can be seen in the contemptible song "We built this city," which claims outright that the successes of the civil rights movement should be credited to 60s rockers.

On the other hand, the music of the 90s is just shockingly insufferable. The hideous and sickly obsession with autobiographical themes; the wretchedly self-indulgent white male angst; the cretinish insistence that rockers are also philosophers.

I'm going with 90s.
Last edited by GWFH on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
This course, a perpetual alternation of determining what is true, and then setting aside this determining, constitutes, strictly speaking, the steady everyday life and activity of perpetual consciousness, a consciousness which fancies itself to be moving in the realm of truth.
GWFH

interested
interested

Re: Best and worst decades for ROK

Postby Blackened Soul » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:17 am

I'm going with whatever this one.. And the last one are called... Also the 70s.. The only good music in the 70s was music protesting against lame music...
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:41 am

:lol: Witt is that you? I sure hope so. It took only 8 posts for you to bloom into your new form. If you are not 'Witt' all apologies. If you are, just lie and say you're not. Either way, welcome to the board / welcome back.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 am

It was obvious it was Witt from the first JHS post.

Missed you buddy.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Andrew » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 am

Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby actual » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 am

I see you dissing a lot of stuff, but I know nothing about what you are into yourself.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:23 am

actualidiot wrote: you are into yourself.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:49 am

D.o.S. wrote:It was obvious it was Witt from the first JHS post.

Missed you buddy.

Sorry, I'm only an exploited TA in the Philosophy department. Grading the undergrads papers made me miss that thread. I have so much to learn!
I recant, it took 5 posts for this form to come to fruition. Please don't tell my masters or they will force me to redo my oral exams.
I sincerely missed Witt too. GWFH it is!
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 am

F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:35 am

who cares it's 60 years of the same basic thing with minor costume changes.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:38 am

Everyone knows it's the Renaissance. How insufferable! In the Western world, you couldn't compose with the diminished fifth chord. Insufferable!
IF we are going to factor in John Stuart Mill's Utilitarianism, then the Renaissance is excused for the greater good of progress. Just not for ROK music.

GWFH wrote:Whitehead once said all of Western philosophy is merely footnotes to Plato. The same could be said of rock music with Chuck Berry and Little Richard.

If you think about it though, hardcore punk riffs are not a derivatives of those kinds of riffs. I would make arguments for more MATH ROCK bands too. I don't hear any rockabilly influence in something like HELLA (Hold Your Horse Is). I would also cite bands like POLVO as not being derivative and early Death Metal / Grind citing the use of dissonance that is more akin to Eastern Music than it is Blues / Early Rock. Although you could spin my arguments either way as this would be bad for 'Rock' in that it is not pertaining to pre-established formulas.

I answering the question seriously, I would actually argue the early 00's. Listen to JET's 'Are You Going To Be My Girl' and A/B it with IGGY POP 'Lust For Life'. You would think there was a time/feedback loop and that time actually went backwards! Same with A/B'ing the WHITE STRIPES with late 60 Mid-West Heavy Rock groups (Pre-Sabbath). I am of course speaking of mainstream media. We can go further into this discourse. Please excuse typos...didn't proofread.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 am

roque musiqué?
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby aedes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:59 am

Rock has improved every decade. Therefore, the 50s were the worst. And the current decade is the best.
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:01 am

@repoman: YES! Ironically, time would prevail and Renaissance Music would be used in black metal centuries later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_uv337yIE
aedes wrote:Rock has improved every decade. Therefore, the 50s were the worst. And the current decade is the best.

Perhaps the relationship is not as linear as we initially expected.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:16 am

Republic of Korea?

'50s probably the worst decade?

:idk: :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Next

Return to General Discussion