2017: Great movie year?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: 2017: Great movie year?

Postby JereFuzz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:23 am

Disarm D'arcy wrote:Supposed to see Valerian this weekend. Will report :thumb:

I liked it. It has a Star Wars feel, but I didn't realize that the comic pre-dated Star Wars.
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:51 am

I think the art for the comic was big for Ralph McQaurrie (the concept artist for SW).
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby jrfox92 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:43 pm

JereFuzz wrote:I liked it. It has a Star Wars feel, but I didn't realize that the comic pre-dated Star Wars.

The story behind the film's creation is interesting, too.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bloodhammer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Invisible Man wrote:Please do.

The hatred for big-budget movies makes sense to me to a point, but isn't that what theaters are for? They're dream palaces, not art houses where we can soak up small, dramatic stories. People aren't philistines because they want to see larger-than-life archetypes blow shit up on a massive screen. I love those movies for all the reasons people love them, and I love more 'sophisticated' text/media, too. But the latter is better enjoyed in my home, by myself.

I'll probably watch every Spider-Man and Star Wars movie for the rest of my life. I can live with being a plebeian sometimes.

I certainly didn't intend to imply that folks who like summer blockbusters are philistines. I like the first two Riddick movies (although that third one was just too Riddick-ulous, even for me LOL).

I'm just overwhelmed by the sheer volume of movies that are all of the same franchise. To me, it would be like if eight-out-of-ten hit songs every year were covers of the same Journey and Styx songs. I'm sure that for some people, every new take on "Wheel In The Sky" would be a fresh interpretation worthy of getting into the song all over again. Then there's people like me who don't like Journey and Styx in the first place and feel a bit overlooked by the industry.

Actually, a better analogy would probably be the proliferation of slasher movies in the 80's. Between Freddie Kruger, Jason Voorhees, and Michael Myers, there must have been like 50 teenagers-getting-picked-off-one-at-a-time movies made in one decade. If I'd been old enough to care back then, I'd probably have bitched about that too. :lol:
Bloodhammer

committed
committed

Postby jrfox92 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:52 pm

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if you hadn't included Star Wars, honestly.
With the exception of the last two years, SW movies were decently far apart. Not to mention that there was a period of 17 years between the two trilogies, plus an additional ten between the current one and the previous (if you ignore the cartoon movie, of course).
So, it's not like Star Trek where the films last from '79 to '02 and the got rebooted in '09. :idk:

Plus, I tend to welcome sci-fi film franchises (which the comics kinda border on, too).
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:52 pm

You know they are going to now make every one of those cartoons into a live action now.. Including the xmas special AND the. 80s droid/ewok show :picard: the mouse people are going to make you hate star wars even more than king neck beard did with those shitty re-edits and prequels.....
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:30 am

Valerian was a joke.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Achtane » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:06 am

I knew it wasn't gonna work out when the trailer for the ambitious space movie featured Gangsta's Paradise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:59 am

Disarm D'arcy wrote:Valerian was a joke.

:cry:
That sucks.

Wait, did you like The Fifth Element? :cool:
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Nooooooo

And yeah I feel ya, Bloodhammer. Took no offense.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Bloodhammer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:20 pm

jrfox92 wrote:I'd be more inclined to agree with you if you hadn't included Star Wars, honestly.
With the exception of the last two years, SW movies were decently far apart. Not to mention that there was a period of 17 years between the two trilogies, plus an additional ten between the current one and the previous (if you ignore the cartoon movie, of course).
So, it's not like Star Trek where the films last from '79 to '02 and the got rebooted in '09. :idk:

Plus, I tend to welcome sci-fi film franchises (which the comics kinda border on, too).

Fair enough.

I love sci fi. Granted, it rarely gets done well, but I still watch whatever Interstellar/The Martian/Arrival-type movies come out. Well, actually I usually wait until they're free on Amazon Prime streaming, but I always make a take-out and movie night of watching them. Bad "science" and touting of the anthropic principle be damned. :lol:
Bloodhammer

committed
committed

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Bloodhammer wrote:Well, actually I usually wait until they're free on Amazon Prime streaming, but I always make a take-out and movie night of watching them.

:lol: Same.
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Rented two Steven Segal flicks from redbox this weekend....here's two quotes from the two movies..."I'd love the fuck outa sum cookies" & "it's like a monkey fuckin a football" .....so bad...yet...arousing.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:50 am

jrfox92 wrote:
Disarm D'arcy wrote:Valerian was a joke.

:cry:
That sucks.

Wait, did you like The Fifth Element? :cool:

Yup :thumb:
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby darthbatman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Anybody go see The Dark Tower?
darthbatman

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion