2017: Great movie year?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: 2017: Great movie year?

Postby Invisible Man » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:40 pm

^^^?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby BitchPudding » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Similar vein, thoughts on the new IT trailer? Think it looks super promising.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:12 pm

darthbatman wrote:Anybody go see The Dark Tower?

I've seen this. Well, some of it.

Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Andrew » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:29 am

Without digging it all up again; caved in an saw Alien:Covenant.

I liked Prometheus a good amount for what it is, I just wished they kept the mysticism of the Xenomorph being this fucked up thing that exists in the universe.
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Olin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:06 am

vidret wrote:Dark tower is gonna suck.

It was gunna suck right from the beginning, now we can stop saying it's gunna suck and say that it sucked instead.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby darthbatman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:05 pm

For a hollywood summer sci fi action flick it was decent, but it really missed the mark altogether as far as being faithful to the story.
Ebert said it best, i'm paraphrasing but basically by trying to please everyone (fans of the books + folks who never heard of it)
it winds up failing to really please anyone. Still worth watching once maybe just because the story is cool, but maybe wait to catch it in the $5 bin
darthbatman

committed
committed

Postby Bloodhammer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Bloodhammer

committed
committed

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 am

Andrew wrote:Without digging it all up again; caved in an saw Alien:Covenant.

Yeah.. Me too.. Now I hate myself, fuck that was a load of crap.. The whole fucking movie.."hey lets do the dumbest thing" "ok" "shit why'd we do that" "I don't know lets go running around screaming"
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:"hey lets do the dumbest thing" "ok" "shit why'd we do that" "I don't know lets go running around screaming"

to be fair that's humanity's main shit to do
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 pm

friendship wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:"hey lets do the dumbest thing" "ok" "shit why'd we do that" "I don't know lets go running around screaming"

to be fair that's humanity's main shit to do

Yes, I know, and that's why... :|:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:
Andrew wrote:Without digging it all up again; caved in an saw Alien:Covenant.

Yeah.. Me too.. Now I hate myself, fuck that was a load of crap.. The whole fucking movie.."hey lets do the dumbest thing" "ok" "shit why'd we do that" "I don't know lets go running around screaming"

Seems to be the consensus from many but I disagree. I liked it. Was it the best movie ever? No. It was good though.

What is bad is that they have all this useful shit that Scott cut out and the dvd release didn't even put it back in the fucking film! :picard: You have to go and select the scenes out of the fucking special features. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I was hoping they'd just do a directors cut, but NO, can't hope for that!! Fucking morons. Hopefully they do it down the road.

Anyway, the movie is flawed in some ways, good in others. I think overall it was very well done. I do believe many fans are being way too hard on it and not thinking of it the way it is. Which is 1 of 6 films. If Scott ever gets to release them now. I just hope the dvd sales are good so he can continue it. I want to see the story.

Really IMO the original was not that great. So I see people comparing the original to this and I'm thinking "I don't get it". It's old and boring. The second film was much better.

I mean, to each there own though obviously.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Olin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 pm

jwar wrote:Really IMO the original was not that great. So I see people comparing the original to this and I'm thinking "I don't get it". It's old and boring. The second film was much better.

This explains everything then. Not in a shitty, snobbish way, but if you didn't like the first Alien because it's "old and boring" (neither of which I think are fair criticisms, it's shot beautifully and has aged wonderfully compared to a lot of films made in that period, and takes its time to build tension and create an atmosphere) then Covenant was probably fine. It tried poorly to straddle between the tension and claustrophobia of Alien and the 'SPLOSIONS AND GUNS of Aliens, and it didn't work at all; both of those films worked so well because they were their own films and focused on doing their own thing rather than trying to do both and falling short on both ends.

Edit just to add, as a question: is a film/piece of art/whatever being "old" really a criticism?
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:49 pm

Olin wrote:
jwar wrote:Really IMO the original was not that great. So I see people comparing the original to this and I'm thinking "I don't get it". It's old and boring. The second film was much better.

This explains everything then. Not in a shitty, snobbish way, but if you didn't like the first Alien because it's "old and boring" (neither of which I think are fair criticisms, it's shot beautifully and has aged wonderfully compared to a lot of films made in that period, and takes its time to build tension and create an atmosphere) then Covenant was probably fine. It tried poorly to straddle between the tension and claustrophobia of Alien and the 'SPLOSIONS AND GUNS of Aliens, and it didn't work at all; both of those films worked so well because they were their own films and focused on doing their own thing rather than trying to do both and falling short on both ends.

Edit just to add, as a question: is a film/piece of art/whatever being "old" really a criticism?

Good analysis. I love both movies in their own right for the reasons described. I think Prometheus attacked the series from a totally different angle ... I think Prometheus will age well. BTW, the Prometheus angle is based on The Chariots of the Gods book by Daniken
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BitchPudding » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:28 pm

This year is already good enough for me cause of Shin Godzilla.

I realllllllllly hope the IT remake is as lit as it looks.
Same goes for Death Note. Seen a lot of butthurt fans not willing to even give it a chance.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Olin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:49 pm

vidret wrote:i think it's a valid criticism if it feels old, as in it haven't aged well. alien has aged extremely well, imo.

it's old but doesn't feel like it.

Mhm I can agree with that, if a film ages poorly or feels outdated, but the literal age of the film should really be a factor in whether it's a good or bad film I don't think.

Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Discussion