Marvel's reeeaaaalllly kicking DC's ass, now

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Marvel's reeeaaaalllly kicking DC's ass, now

Postby Andrew » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:30 am

I genuinely haven't watched any superhero movie since the Dark Knight trilogy and don't give a shit about comic adaptations, but I am totally craving a Nolan Batman marathon right now.

Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 pm

Baha! That’s gold.
Yeah I really dig the Nolan trilogy. It had grit.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:13 pm

i love.... the first two..... Nolan-Mans?

3 was borrrrinnnnnng and silly.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm

...but isn't the concept of a technically advanced african nation with airships and laser weapons just far fetched enough to be offensive? lol, never mind.

I clicked on some '20 movies DC is developing right now' clickbait, and it was pretty disappointing routine shit. All Batman/justice league/suicide squad related, and Shazam. Nothing obscure or random, no Teen Titans, no Hitman, the only promising tidbit was the possibility of Dark Justice and possible spinoffs (Costantine, Swamp Thing, Demon, Deadman).

I wonder what's up with Blade, if he'll appear again in someone else's movie (or show). He'll definitely be recast, but there is also a history of good soundtrack albums attached to the character, that should continue.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:39 am

If you’re offended by the idea of black people laying low because they have enough awesome shit to realise that white people will band together with the rest of the world to take it then sure, be offended I guess.
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:22 pm

No, that part is actually realistic and based on real history. Real history getting marginalized by the dreamy science fiction was my point. But whatever.
I have some hypersensitive/easily offended black people in my extended family, and some of the stuff they post on social media is way more racey/edgy/wacko than white racism, which is just simple and ugly by comparison. Black racism is actually entertaining, funny, complex, meaningful, justified (sometimes), and just more.
Anyway.
I downloaded a cellphone copy of black panther, I'm gonna watch that now...
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:42 am

I feel like it’s gonna be lost on a phone but you should check it out.

I get your point, but I feel like, of all the attempts to take the cringe out of marvel history and make characters relevant, this film succeeds on a level the others don’t quite get to.
I think the sci fi is caked on just enough, but I’m a sci fi nerd so, if it’s shiny and nano-quantised I’m probably gonna dig it.
Bias.
I think the placing of the film in an historical context is done with enough sensitivity that it’s not reductionist. I had grave fears for this film but I think they balanced it enough to make both of those elements work for the story without overshadowing the whole film.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Yeah, pretty good overall. Some of the music was comical (as expected), and the accents turned jamaican once or twice, and I'll definitely watch it again in better quality. As a black fable it definitely stands strong. Wakanda is used as a depiction of the africa that could have been if there were no outside interference, which is pretty clever in the end.
I like the Batman similarities. In action he's basically just like a capeless batman, with a better mask collection.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:37 pm

me and the grrL and a bud are off to watch it tonight. i'm tentatively excited. nice that it's getting so much positive response, NICE if Marvel is trying something different for once, i'm just pretty burnt out on super hero movies.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby baremountain » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 am

holy SHOOTS, Black Panther was so dang good!!!!!
Me and muh lady went and saw it yesterday. I even got misty-eyed at a few parts (when T'Challa gets crowned king, mainly). It was hands-down the best superhero movie I've ever seen.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 pm

baremountain wrote:holy SHOOTS, Black Panther was so dang good!!!!!
Me and muh lady went and saw it yesterday. I even got misty-eyed at a few parts (when T'Challa gets crowned king, mainly). It was hands-down the best superhero movie I've ever seen.

I haven't seen it yet, mostly because it's been sold out at Alamo Drafthouse for weeks now, but my second biggest reason keeping my butt out of a seat is it's a Marvel movie and it's very much becoming "If you've seen one you've seen them all," with VERY few exceptions (namely GotG 1/2, Thor 3, and Deadpool, if you want to count it as part of the MCU)
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:35 pm

i feel you, but nurp. this is definitely it's own movie, not A MARVEL MOVIEEEEEEE

very cool stuff. good story, great villain, wonderful ancillary characters, good dialog, love the message. very different than the cookie cutter Marvel mold.

...... except the fight scenes. those are still complete shit.

PULL. FUCKING. BACK. STOP QUICK CUTTING.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby weebles » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:59 pm

I mean, aside from a villain that a lot of people kind of go “yeah I think he has a point,” it was a Marvel hero introduction movie that hit all the particulars.

That being said, for whatever reason, it just seemed more enjoyable.

CGI was terrible, though.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:58 am

My wife and I went and saw Black Panther last Thursday. I know it was good, because she was awake and alert through the whole movie and was talking about it after. Before she went in she said "Apologies ahead of time, because I will probably fall asleep". We both really enjoyed it and I think more or less agreed on what we liked and what we thought could have been better.

Great villain. I think it's fantastic to have a villain where the hero essentially can't argue their point, only their methods. The antagonist pushes the protagonist to defeat them, but take up their cause in "better way".

Even though it's always mandatory for every superhero to be an orphan now, it was great to see a healthy, loving and fun family relationship for one.

It's great to see strong women in a superhero movie who aren't there to impress the men or be the one "tough chick who kicks". There's a variety of strengths shown in female characters in the film, all of them are multi-faceted and have their own motivations and conflicts outside their relationship with the male protagonist.

There was a lot to pack in and they kept Killmonger's story kind of stealth for the first act of the film, but it would have been nice to focus a little more on his relationship with his girlfriend/partner in crime. If she had a name I didn't catch it and she seemed to really only be there to be thrown away for plot reasons. I'm fine with how she's used in the plot, as it relates to showing us who Killmonger is, but would have liked to feel it more by having some more character development. Same with the Dora Milaje guard at the end. All they needed to do was have Okoye say her name like 2 or 3 times while giving her orders and maybe throw out a line of dialogue (like "____ is my best warrior, it's in good hands" or something) and I would have felt that moment 100x more.

Too much CGI people fighting. They should have found a plot device to keep the battle topside and make it more like the challenge fights. Up close, personal, pushed to the limit. The flipping and jumping video game characters took me out of it. It could have worked just to have the border tribe fight T'Challa and the Dora Milaje fight Killmonger, wear them both down...and then they fight each other with whatever macguffin to make their suits or powers not work full strength, so it's a hand to hand fight with high stakes, in front of everyone. Which seemed like it was the point, since it was a continuation of the challenge fight and whoever wins rules.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 am

i still haven't seen Black Panther...but to this day i think the best one has been Doctor Strange.

I saw Ragnarok...I have to admit, it was a fun watch...but i was left a little empty afterwards. I want to see a more serious movie, rather than the comical stuff. I get Deadpool is comical, and that's fine...Thor on the other had that's not fine...I want that shit to have a real deep impact. It was almost watching a Seth Rogen movie with muscles...disappointing.

I also recently watch Wonder Woman...political views of the actress aside...she's hot...and the movie was pretty good. But is it just me, or was there way too many slow motion parts to it? by the end, all the slo-mo's lost their impact.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion