Favorite SOCRATIC DIALOGUE

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Favorite SOCRATIC DIALOGUE

Postby Wittgenstein » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Meno, of course.

The deeply ironic and bitter ending, with Socrates's subtle but brutal mockery of Meno ending in the conclusion that virtue is just a whim of the gods, is one of the great accomplishments in all of literature, imo.
This course, a perpetual alternation of determining what is true, and then setting aside this determining, constitutes, strictly speaking, the steady everyday life and activity of perpetual consciousness, a consciousness which fancies itself to be moving in the realm of truth.
Wittgenstein

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Favorite SOCRATIC DIALOGUE

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 pm

I only read The Republic, for A-level philosophy. It was hard but I liked it, it was a good translation that was clear and carried the metaphorical themes throughout. Then, at uni, the first thing they got me to read for the literature half of my degree was the bit of the republic where he shits on the poets, except it was a different translation and it was rubbish. I haven't read much philosophy at all since my degree (or during! LOL).
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eivind August » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:37 am

Not something I've spent a lot of time on during the course of my degree, but yeah, Meno is good. As is Eutyphro. Crito is kinda neat.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby Wittgenstein » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am

Wut about the Gorgias, bruh? The only dialogue where Socrates gets HOUSED IN A DEBATE BRUH. It's like the Thrasymachus debate from the Republic, but in this one, Callicles refuses to back down, and is considerably more clever and ruthless than Thrasymachus.

Jwar: it's like if the Joker were to kick Batman's ass.
This course, a perpetual alternation of determining what is true, and then setting aside this determining, constitutes, strictly speaking, the steady everyday life and activity of perpetual consciousness, a consciousness which fancies itself to be moving in the realm of truth.
Wittgenstein

Supporter
Supporter

Postby echorec » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:14 pm

The Meno changed my life. It was our first assigned reading in a general elective I was taking. Then I just kept taking more courses, until one day I realized I was unintentionally completing a Philosophy degree.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 am

The Apology was always my favorite.

"But many as their falsehoods were, there was one of them which quite amazed me; - I mean when they told you to be upon your guard, and not to let yourselves be deceived by the force of my eloquence."
:)*
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Wittgenstein » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Just read this ICEBURN:

"Socrates belonged, in his origins, to the lowest orders: Socrates was rabble. One knows, one sees for oneself, how ugly he was. But ugliness, an objection in itself, is among Greeks almost a refutation. Was Socrates a Greek at all?"
Wittgenstein

Supporter
Supporter

Return to General Discussion