Twin Peaks spoilery megathread - Hell baby god damn no

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Twin Peaks spoilery megathread - Hell baby god damn no

Postby friendship » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:46 am

I will say that it's the category of ending I would expect from him.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:33 am

Before I watched the last part, I imagined a reality where Twin Peaks' original run never ended, and stories like Mulholland Drive existed as plots within an ongoing Lynch series that was less about resolutions and more about moments. Because our reality's Twin Peaks never really ended before and it hasn't ended now, not in the sense of plots resolving. The moments have stopped.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PanicProne » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:43 pm

Decent ending to be fair. I'm actually surprised about how many clear answers were given even though it all ended very open (as expected). Gotta admit the actual ending with the very hard to hear "Laaaauuura!" (missed it the first time, but watched the final scene again out of confusion and realised it was there) and the scream annoys/annoyed me a bit. I would've prefered them just feeling lost or going back to the car or it ending with Coop asking what year it was. But maybe that's just me.

Does anyone reckon there'll be another chapter? (According to showtime there's never been any plans for another season, apparently)
Another film perhaps? Or do you think that's it, forever?
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:51 pm

That's probably it imo. Half the cast died while they were making it
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:56 pm

I got about 75% of the way through the first episode, felt like I was watching The Room and checked out. Did it get good sometime before the end? Assuming you didn't know David Lynch made it and it was called Twin Peak, I mean, just on actually being worth watching for someone with limited free time.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:51 pm

I think so. Honestly, I haven't been as captivated by a show in a while.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:49 am

What a mind fuck.
Faldoe

Postby PanicProne » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:12 am

friendship wrote:That's probably it imo. Half the cast died while they were making it

Yes, but the new/alternate timeline does make getting past that a lot easier. Also, there were a couple of the old cast issing in this season and a few died, like you mentioned, but they got around that nicely imo.

Corey Y wrote:I got about 75% of the way through the first episode, felt like I was watching The Room and checked out. Did it get good sometime before the end? Assuming you didn't know David Lynch made it and it was called Twin Peak, I mean, just on actually being worth watching for someone with limited free time.

Never seen The Room but It depends on taste obviously. I personally thought the first two episodes were some of the best. A lot of it is to just settle into that slow "anti-pace" that the series have. I totally understand it the feeling of it being frustrating and feeling like nonsense at times, it tooks me some time to enjoy everything, even though I liked the opening ones a lot. But I feel it definitely paid off in the end though.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:46 am

Corey Y wrote:I got about 75% of the way through the first episode, felt like I was watching The Room and checked out. Did it get good sometime before the end? Assuming you didn't know David Lynch made it and it was called Twin Peak, I mean, just on actually being worth watching for someone with limited free time.

First episode of The Return, or the very first episode? If the former, try watching the very first episode (the long pilot). If it doesn't grab you, it's probably not the show for you.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:00 am

friendship wrote:

First episode of The Return, or the very first episode? If the former, try watching the very first episode (the long pilot). If it doesn't grab you, it's probably not the show for you.

The Return, I've seen most of the original. It can be slow at times, but overall very well made and acted. I got most of the way through the first episode of the new series and was really disappointed. Just a lot of really bad acting, looked flat and boring, stilted dialog. It felt like watching one of those really low budget horror movies you find only on Netflix or the Star Wars prequels. Where everything looks clean and well lit, but half the actor seem like they could do better but were getting no direction (or had a bad script) and then a bunch of non or barely professional actors hamming it way up. It gave me the feeling that David Lynch didn't want to do anything related to Twin Peaks, but he got offered a bunch of money and a lot of other people really wanted him to do it, so he just said "fuck it, I'll just go nuts, do whatever and throw some scenes referencing the old Twin Peaks series in there". I haven't watched the whole thing, but if the first two episodes are a peak, I'm not interested.

To be fair, I don't really have time to appreciate anti-art statements as entertainment. Even if I can appreciate the artistic merit or interesting nature of them.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:30 am

I will say that some of the acting in the first couple episodes, especially by minor characters (I'm assuming you're talking about the people in the glass box scene) but Kyle McLaughlin is still an amazing actor, and you really fall in love with some of the characters. I'd give it another shot. Try to get through episode 3 or so and then decide if you wanna commit to a whole season
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby baremountain » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Yea it's a slow burner for sure. It all really makes a lot of sense and doesn't seem that weird after you get about halfway through. I rewatched some of the beginning and the weirdness didn't stand out nearly as much. Maybe that's just desensitization? lol

But yeah the ending was crazy. The first 30-45 minutes of the first episode were immensely satisfying, and the rest was the kind of psychedelic headtrip I expected, though it led somewhere completely different.

So I've got a weird though about the first episode's end. The first time through, I surmised that the spirit of Judy was somehow trapped inside Laura. Mainly this is because of Coop's exchange with Jeffries:
C: "February 23, 1989" (night of Laura's murder)
J: "I'll locate it for you." (it, here being the pronoun for Judy, who is never referred to by a feminine pronoun)
Then he says "Okay this is where you will find Judy", before doing that weird thing with the owl insignia turning into an 8 with a dot inside, and then cooper is taken into the past, where he finds Laura.
After they speak and she takes his hand, she asks "Where are we going", and Coop responds "we're going home," and shortly thereafter the screen changes to a shot of the tree with primordial ooze - the place that the coordinates Evil Coop sought led to, where Naido/Diane was found, presumably the location of Judy since these were Major Briggs' instructions on how to find It. Then Laura disappears suddenly. I can't remember if she screams there too, or if that is me mixing the two episodes' endings together.

But yeah, idk if this is a thing that other people got from that? I don't know how it holds up against the other pieces of the puzzle.

Also how much of this was 'real'? Was the end real? Is coop really named Richard? What tf is Ms Tremond doing in the Palmer residence? Presumably that means the end is in the past?? The past dictates the future. We are living in a dream. Who is the dreamer?
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 pm

we are the dream and the dreamer. bonus points for whoever gets that reference. i really need to rewatch twin peaks then watch this.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Corey Y wrote:
friendship wrote:

The Return, I've seen most of the original. It can be slow at times, but overall very well made and acted. I got most of the way through the first episode of the new series and was really disappointed. Just a lot of really bad acting, looked flat and boring, stilted dialog. It felt like watching one of those really low budget horror movies you find only on Netflix or the Star Wars prequels. Where everything looks clean and well lit, but half the actor seem like they could do better but were getting no direction (or had a bad script) and then a bunch of non or barely professional actors hamming it way up. It gave me the feeling that David Lynch didn't want to do anything related to Twin Peaks, but he got offered a bunch of money and a lot of other people really wanted him to do it, so he just said "fuck it, I'll just go nuts, do whatever and throw some scenes referencing the old Twin Peaks series in there". I haven't watched the whole thing, but if the first two episodes are a peak, I'm not interested.

To be fair, I don't really have time to appreciate anti-art statements as entertainment. Even if I can appreciate the artistic merit or interesting nature of them.

Eh then you're probably better off skipping it. Doesn't sound like it's really your bag. And it doesn't have to be!
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Discussion