WHO THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: WHO THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Comesect, I've been a subscriber to you for a long time and it pisses me off when people do that. I always enjoy your videos.

I've been having the same problems on YouTube lately (comes in waves) and I have dealt with a few of those mass dislike (they usually give up at some point)...I don't mind thumbs down (I know most people think I am annoying) but I don't push my channel and I've attempted to hide it from searches and stuff (only use it for relevant topics). It doesn't stop...if it came with feedback, fine...but like Rochambeau said, it's kinda all the rage.

It doesn't really mean anything and it will actually increase the likelihood that your video gets found...youtube weighs reactions/engagement (comments, likes/dislikes) all about the same and videos that don't engage get ranked down. It's a good system for them but bad for the creator (perception). It is especially dumb since the the thumbs down defenders say it is used to make videos that are misleading, frauds, offensive, or other violations easy for viewers to quickly judge...but that is a flagging system, not a rating system...stupid all around. But fuck thumbs down...it's lame. Criticism I don't mind (I actually prefer it when it is of value not "hey, your hand coved the knob too much and I couldn't see where the freq was at 1:10"), but fuck a system designed to offer no real feedback.

On the other hand, I do kind of enjoy watching dislikes unfold on YouTube...I can usually kinda track why and have been kinda building a mental map of which things seem to trigger stuff. The social movement and picture I see unfold with the stats of hits and which videos with dislikes is pretty fascinating...so thumbs down are fun in that way. A mass dislike kinda ruins that though.

Anyway, comesect, keep up the good work.

UC: yea, we talked about it....haha, I have been thinking about switching to vimeo (for various reasons).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm

I've actually never looked at it before but yeah, I got some thumbs down too. Who cares? If you don't like what you see there's little cross near the name of the tab. Click it.

Actually it's just fucking childish. If something is unpleasant to you and you can just ignore it, why bother? A video you dislike is not like your upstairs neighbor holding a weekly rave party. Therés no offert/cost to moving away from the source of the nuisance. I don't think I've ever given thumbs down on any social media, except maybe to mean commetns?
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 pm

I agree it's childish D'Arcy. On a site with billions of videos, ignoring it makes the most sense...but I've tried to justify living with it haha.

I've disliked a few videos...they were all pretty much hateful in someway (like the title was "window sealants" and it went on tear about illegal labor). I'm sure one was a vice video...

Instagram has a better system really...things with views/likes move up, things that don't, move down.

I enjoy the stat depth on YouTube...but because of its huge user base, there are a ton of idiots. Haha.

I kinda just wish youtube had more options beyond public, private, and locked....something like "not recommended by other videos", "only subscribers", "not in main search" or something...but I guess that goes against the spirit. They kinda have that stuff, but it doesn't work. I've taken all searchable names/tags off my videos and tried to make it so my channel is recommended, but I get the same number of hits...I don't want hits, i just want a place to park something.

Side note: I do think that there is a perception that every pedal video on YouTube is meant to inform a consumer decision and that demoers are trying to make a business/gather hits by making demos/selling pedals. Everyone's intentions are different and sometimes it is just "this is what I did with pedal x" or "this is what I did today, for my own enjoyment". Kinda like a public sketchbook or something. Criticism to improve someone's skill or art is fine...but I think a significant portion of normal players look at these videos as "sell me a pedal". Or, more specifically, "sell me on exactly how I think it should be used" instead of the more wide view that information is more valuable from a wide range of perceptions and applications.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:17 pm

Last paragraph nails it. You'd be surprised at some comments I have received "you should do this or that, like that with that pedal and maybe alongside X", when all I want to reply is I don't care for it. If you wanna hear that pedal as used by someone else, maybe just look for someone else's video. When I look at a demo by UC I don't expect metal, in the same way I don't expect a store demo to be shoegaze as fuck. It's the point of horizontality in social media: you get a wide array of stuff that you can work through to choose and find what suits you. It's not like TV where you have to be served with what suits you. And some people don't get that.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:21 pm

[quote="Disarm D'arcy"When I look at a demo by UC I don't expect metal[/quote]

Speak for yourself. :!!!:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:11 pm

I had the same thing happen to me not that long ago. I think I have maybe 40-50 videos and the cocksucker was disliking and commenting. I ended up turning that shit off. Basically ruined my channel.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby spacelordmother » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Can't you get people banned for shit like that?
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby waltdogg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:43 pm

it was me. i didnt like your comment on the science amp thread. :p

nope. not really, i dont have the patience for that.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hbombgraphics » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:46 pm

vidret wrote:
hbombgraphics wrote:holy crap the effort that took is insane, I tried to thumbs up all your videos to counteract and gave up after like 3, you gotta have so much anger/free time to go through and thumbs down every video.

I'm impressed.

Also, challenge accepted.

I need to know how much time this took,

Also: What's the standard labor rate where you are?
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:49 pm

spacelordmother wrote:Can't you get people banned for shit like that?

Maybe, but I doubt they act...can't ban everyone or anyone really unless they have a static ip///even then, wifi. Plus they can create dummy accounts. You can also hire dislike/like/view factories...which is why I don't think their ranking really takes those metrics too seriously. Youtube looks for average view time and time in your videos/playlists more than raw views.

jwar wrote:I had the same thing happen to me not that long ago. I think I have maybe 40-50 videos and the cocksucker was disliking and commenting. I ended up turning that shit off. Basically ruined my channel.

Dumb thing about likes is that you can't turn it off, just hide.

Disarm D'arcy wrote:Last paragraph nails it. You'd be surprised at some comments I have received "you should do this or that, like that with that pedal and maybe alongside X", when all I want to reply is I don't care for it. If you wanna hear that pedal as used by someone else, maybe just look for someone else's video. When I look at a demo by UC I don't expect metal, in the same way I don't expect a store demo to be shoegaze as fuck. It's the point of horizontality in social media: you get a wide array of stuff that you can work through to choose and find what suits you. It's not like TV where you have to be served with what suits you. And some people don't get that.

Yea, I get those too haha. My favorite was like, "You only play punk, could you play ambient or at least slow rock?" :idk: Maybe? It's always going to sound like shitty Gauze or Subhumans covers if I'm playing...it's what I enjoy.

Anyway, some of it is context too. Guitar alone in a video can be kinda hard to make sound cool. A lot of the guitar playing I really like is really part of a whole. Devo, Dead Kennedys, Crass, etc have nothing that impressive guitar-wise...but in the context of the song it's great and creative. Without other instruments or backing tracks, it's kinda freewheelin' and filling space in these demos. Would I play like my videos in a band setting? Maybe a bit, but I fill in a lot of space that other instruments would in reality and things would make a lot more sense with the drums or whatever I imagine in my head. Maybe that is a difference between me and some viewers I have had problems with....I don't see guitar as a lead...it is more a sound source that completes a whole (I guess I always have liked more sparse rhythmic and kinda accompaniment guitar more than SRV or some stuff//I'd rather East Bay Ray chime in once a bar with an echoplex slide than a full on melodic lead or an always there overbearing guitar riff most of the time. Bass and drums are more important most of the time in a song...the guitar is kinda the middle swing man or something :idk: )...Also, getting ideas out in 3-5 minutes kinda condenses things. Tangent!

But, really, anyone that is taking youtube demos as a 1:1 reality for what the pedal sounds like at their house with them playing their equipment is silly. I think the finer harmonics, tone, voicing, etc are never going to come through someone else's recording techniques, their compression, the video's compression, youtube's compression, whatever speakers/converter the end-user uses. Looking for heavy handed stuff like timing, decay, envelope, gates, and general idea is about all they are worth. Beyond that, the process and ideas of use are where they can really shine, which is sometimes where the more mainstream demos or gear videos can fail.

But none of this is really worth the effort of disliking a whole channel. And I think most of the time it is just to get a reaction from the creator...kinda like "lol, I ruined their day".

I'm glad I started making the videos...it's helped me grow a lot as a player and has really improved my recording I think. I still fail a lot and I will never stop growing as a player, but It's been kinda fun to watch myself progress. I've also found some good players and people along the way. I think overall, despite the stupid flaws and childish behavior of a few, I think youtube has been more of a benefit than a detriment.
Last edited by lordgalvar on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby waltdogg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:53 pm

if youre really worried about your youtube metrics, dont be. youtube goes by minutes watched, not views, likes/dislikes, or subscribers.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:07 pm

okay got my coffee in, so now im gonna just say, thanks a ton all of you..glad I joined ILF...it surprised me when I got on here and lord galvar already knew about my little project..then i started figuring out who I was already subscribed to like darcy and nora, uc, ug, and so on..
..anywho ya its no big woop just a public sketch book to quote galvar... ...some people feel more comfy expressing their love that way i suppose...but dang had to have been smokin a joint or somthin cuz that is tedious livin in your moms basement type shit...probably laughin now at the exposure.

Disarm D'arcy wrote:Yes. Probably saw your naked cow boy pictures on here and got aroused.

need to start gettin paid for those, www.NakedTexasLee.cum
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:22 pm

comesect: This might help too:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=34816&start=30#p1030624

Hasn't been updated in a while though
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:33 pm

More lordgalvar posts in this thread than in the entire past month probably. :hello: :hug: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Chankgeez wrote:More lordgalvar posts in this thread than in the entire past month probably. :hello: :hug: :snax:

I'm supposed to be tearing out my floor but the computer is setup because I had to print shipping labels for christmas...and I got distracted.

Ummmmmmm....back to demoing the house. T-Minus 8 weeks?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion