The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby friendship » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:And in the beginning of a botched story of The Wheel of Time where the writers only read the summary on the back cover of the book then did some bath salts to make sure they totally fuck up yet another fantasy classic…


And the wheel of time churns trying to figure out how to be a Game-of-Xena while be more Hollywood neoliberal branded multiculturaly diverse than Disney could ever dream of all the while stumbling through the dark and losing all the charm of the book..


I mean to be fair Jordan built a very multicultural, diverse world. It wouldn't have made sense to me to populate the cast exclusively with whities.
actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3868
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby vidret » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:01 pm

I think the original is just such a good thing I don’t even see why the need for this remake. Money, obviously.

They should remake stuff that turned out sucky, not stuff that turned out near perfect!
vidret

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 7209
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: heart of dankness

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:24 pm

friendship wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:And in the beginning of a botched story of The Wheel of Time where the writers only read the summary on the back cover of the book then did some bath salts to make sure they totally fuck up yet another fantasy classic…


And the wheel of time churns trying to figure out how to be a Game-of-Xena while be more Hollywood neoliberal branded multiculturaly diverse than Disney could ever dream of all the while stumbling through the dark and losing all the charm of the book..


I mean to be fair Jordan built a very multicultural, diverse world. It wouldn't have made sense to me to populate the cast exclusively with whities.

Yes.. but then you’d have you different cities/state/countries have their own cultures so they would retain a diverse world like the books where you had all these microcosms vs making the whole world a melting pot to try and appeal to every market.. overall it is just being lazy. Take the Witcher.. while cheesy you have lots of actors that are not all whites [as this seems to be where you seem to be reading into which is your own issue.] and you don't notice because the parts are written for the story and the actors act the characters as the characters. And my comment about diversity is not actually about race. It's again about try to force everything into a marketing ideology.. And fuck, if you want that then there ARE fantasy books that have worlds like that and deal with subjects that fit in to that.. Like the Pern and Darkover books...
Blackened Soul

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 am
Location: PNW

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:46 pm

vidret wrote:I think the original is just such a good thing I don’t even see why the need for this remake. Money, obviously.

They should remake stuff that turned out sucky, not stuff that turned out near perfect!


Posting this again...
Blackened Soul

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 am
Location: PNW

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby ianmarks » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:43 pm

MrNovember wrote:I watched the anime like a decade ago and it’s pretty much one of the only animes I’ve actually enjoyed. It’s on my list to watch again, but I enjoyed the Netflix series in isolation and really don’t feel the need to compare it to the original :idk:

Not to belittle your opinion or anything vidret, but I feel like that’s the “problem” with a lot of remakes and re-interpretations: “they didn’t do this like the original” and “this didn’t live up to my nostalgia-tinted expectations”.


My best bud is a Cowboy Bebop anime junkie and had a similar take on the live action. While I thought the anime version was alright, I enjoyed the live action more. Different strokes. Was bummed to hear it has already been cancelled. Figures.
ianmarks

committed
committed
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby friendship » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:11 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:
friendship wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:And in the beginning of a botched story of The Wheel of Time where the writers only read the summary on the back cover of the book then did some bath salts to make sure they totally fuck up yet another fantasy classic…


And the wheel of time churns trying to figure out how to be a Game-of-Xena while be more Hollywood neoliberal branded multiculturaly diverse than Disney could ever dream of all the while stumbling through the dark and losing all the charm of the book..


I mean to be fair Jordan built a very multicultural, diverse world. It wouldn't have made sense to me to populate the cast exclusively with whities.

Yes.. but then you’d have you different cities/state/countries have their own cultures so they would retain a diverse world like the books where you had all these microcosms vs making the whole world a melting pot to try and appeal to every market.. overall it is just being lazy. Take the Witcher.. while cheesy you have lots of actors that are not all whites [as this seems to be where you seem to be reading into which is your own issue.] and you don't notice because the parts are written for the story and the actors act the characters as the characters. And my comment about diversity is not actually about race. It's again about try to force everything into a marketing ideology.. And fuck, if you want that then there ARE fantasy books that have worlds like that and deal with subjects that fit in to that.. Like the Pern and Darkover books...


It's been a couple years since I read WoT, but I remember the distinct cultures blending, especially in the bigger cities and especially as the series progresses. There are ample pages dedicated to cultural differences rubbing up against one another. I guess I don't really understand what you mean by diversity and forcing/cramming marketing ideology. :idk:
actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3868
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby Warpsmasher » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:50 am

Dandolin wrote:any uzumaki content in that Junji Ito collection? :snax:
Nothing yet, but there are some recurring characters/storylines which intersect at the end to set up another season. :thumb:
Warpsmasher

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1247
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:46 am
Location: phx

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby Dandolin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:10 am

nice - i am certainly of the opinion that any Junji Ito is good Junji Ito - it has never failed me yet :snax:
I Fuzz
Dandolin

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 10394
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: On the pharm in PA

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby behndy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:02 pm

late as butts on this, but digging Dark. been home for the last week. going through it for the first time.

i kinda wish every season was Brit Style. like. i don't want them to get cancelled as they're getting good. but 5 or 6 episodes a season is less daunting then 10. especially when they're an hour long.

lol. as i get older and have less time, i have to pick and choose my battles. there's like 7 series i really want to watch, wish i could still melt for whole chunks of the day and deep dive. miss that.

Expanse is next for me. only watched the first 2 seasons, want to start over and go through everything now that it's done. it's done no?

and. also late to the party. but fuck ME i love me some Ben Frost. everything of his is amazing.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 19816
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby MrNovember » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:33 pm

Dark is one of my all time favourite shows! By the end, I really didn't think they could tie up all of the loose threads or make sense of anything, but they did a really good job. And the Ben Frost soundtrack is phenomenal! I actually kind of want to re-watch that now.

I'm finishing the Expanse right now, which is another one of my all time favourite shows (with the exception of Holden; the whole altruistic saviour thing just isn't even remotely as interesting as any of the other characters on that show). I didn't realize the series was done. I've been holding off reading the books until I finish the series, so I guess I'll have to add those books to my never ending reading list.

Also, I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I watched Midnight Mass recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. I really wasn't sure what to expect with that one, but it was good and pretty creepy

And I caught up on Peaky Blinders with the wife just in time for the next season to come out. We really enjoy the show, but it could have maybe ended a season or two ago. It's starting to feel a bit repetitive. Every season follows a similar arc with similar stories.

And I finally finished the Boys. For whatever reason I stopped watching like halfway through the second season. I got right back into it immediately though and now I'm excited for another season of that to come out.
MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 5266
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:40 am

I really enjoyed Midnight Mass too. Creepy, fun, about the right length.

Dark has been on my Netflix list forever. Maybe this year :lol:
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 13179
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:24 pm

Midnight Mass was fine, but the whole "let's deal with this life-threatening situation after we talk about our souls for twenty minues" approach started to cause some raised eyebrows from my direction after the 10th or 11th time it happened.
solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
Heraclitus Akimbo

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm
Location: T.O.

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:05 pm

I know it was ridiculous and made no sense but I kind of got into it in an "accept that this takes place in a strange pocket universe" way. If you looked too seriously at any of the actions people took, there are so many things that nobody would ever have done :lol:
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 13179
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby Warpsmasher » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:00 am

If I told you I had just watched a rotoscoped wizard movie with a lot of nudity, you'd probably guess that I was talking about Fire and Ice, or Wizards, or maybe Heavy Metal, but no...

Basically in full agreement with this guy:
Warpsmasher

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1247
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:46 am
Location: phx

Previous

Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)



ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.