The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby calfzilla » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Daredevil and Iron Fist bothered me for one reason; fight choreography. I'm tired of seeing that front somersault/flip kick. Once in a while; cool. Every damn fight? GTFO.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:53 pm

calfzilla wrote:Daredevil and Iron Fist bothered me for one reason; fight choreography. I'm tired of seeing that front somersault/flip kick. Once in a while; cool. Every damn fight? GTFO.

I honestly just kind of stop watching during fight scenes. They're literally the exact same every time; if you've seen one, you've seen them all
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:12 pm

:group:
For real
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:16 pm

MrNovember wrote:I honestly just kind of stop watching during fight scenes. They're literally the exact same every time; if you've seen one, you've seen them all

I thought the biker one in the stairway/hallway was pretty cool to watch, but yeah.

My biggest pet peeve with hero films/shows is the fighting is either "hero hits each bad guy once and they fly across the room like they were just hit by a freight train" or "hero gets his ass kicked 75% of the fight but somehow manages to beat the shit out of a dozen swole/military/ninja bad guys and walks away like it was all just a light workout".
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:19 pm

And never any face hamburger. I've seen people that got hit in a street fight like 5 times in the face .. it takes like a week before they don't look like a fuxking mutant. Let alone have regular color.. but yeah it's TV
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Yeah the stairway/hallway one was filmed really well and was fun to watch. The face hamburger thing bugs me too. When someone gets punched/kicked full force in the face a couple of times, they're going to stay down, not bounce up and keep fighting.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Kacey Y » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:51 pm

My pet peeve about that kind of thing is when superheroes crash into something at high speed, usually for a comedic beat, that would clearly kill them. Every single Spider-Man does this A LOT. Like swinging on a 20 ft + line and hitting a brick wall, box truck or the street at full speed type of impact. To say nothing of Iron Man free falling out of the sky and hitting the ground, but he's ok because he was in a metal shell. There's no car/helmet/safety device advanced enough to keep your organs from smashing around inside your body when you suddenly stop at terminal velocity. My wife has been subjected hundreds of times to me wincing and mumbling "dead" at those scenes.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby calfzilla » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 pm

The limitation of the suspension of disbelief always cracks me up. Yeah yeah yeah, the superhero stuff is fine, but I can't believe the guy could survive that.
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:27 pm

calfzilla wrote:The limitation of the suspension of disbelief always cracks me up. Yeah yeah yeah, the superhero stuff is fine, but I can't believe the guy could survive that.

The further into the future we go, the more we're able to accept. :idk:
Robotics is getting better (thus, Iron Man is more plausible), human abilities are more and more acceptable (like a dude that can run 28 mph or lift 300 lbs), and superhero shows are coming up with more acceptable explanations for how heroes get their powers.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:38 pm

calfzilla wrote:The limitation of the suspension of disbelief always cracks me up. Yeah yeah yeah, the superhero stuff is fine, but I can't believe the guy could survive that.

That's what I always tell my GF when she's complaining about a part.. "sweetheart... this show is about a dude that turns into a giant green dude and can jump over buildings, and you're upset that the car crash injuries were not realistic?"

I started watching the voltron cartoon with my son and it's totally rad. :hobbes:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:39 pm

I mean, I'm on board for the reality of story. It's just if the reality of the story is OUR reality, but a guy has a flying suit...falling from thousands of feet into the air and hitting the ground, even encased in a giant hamster ball of squishy, shock absorbing foam would turn your insides to jelly. If the story is telling me "Hey, by the way, they're also nearly impervious to harm now, because of this technobabble reason!", cool, that's fine. The only realistic version of this I can think of is Luke Cage, where he has 'invulnerable skin", but he gets a massive concussion that results in an edema or swelling or something in his skull, that they can't relieve, because his skin can't be punctured. That's why people die in car crashes and plane crashes, even if they don't get torn to pieces.

Unless magic. If the answer is "it's fine because there's a magic spell that changes the laws of physics" or something, fine. I'm not saying I'm not on board for crazy shit, but if the movie or show is presenting the story as this is the real world in every respect, except here is a superhero...the rest of the real world still needs make sense.

When War Machine ate shit straight into the ground at terminal velocity inside an unpowered metal suit in Civil War and they cut back later to him having to do PT because he was partially paralyzed, everyone in the theater was like "whaaaaaaaat? He's ALIVE??".
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:48 pm

The Harry Potter version of that shit is when something bad happens and they use a spell to fix it and then in another book/movie, something way worse happens and that could be fixed with the same spell and nobody uses it. It's not that I can't accept magic, it's that the person/people making the imaginary thing doesn't seem to know how their world works. Especially if they could just easily lampshade it with an aside in one scene, where say Tony Stark is talking to his robot house about the calculations needed for this doodad that works like a thin metal parachute or a passive reverse thruster if the power goes out and he hopes it's enough to land softly. Then Rhodey takes a dive, it starts to work, then it fails when he's almost safe and he crashes, being paralyzed. There, physics still work and it's even more suspenseful and dramatic. I thought about that issue for like 2 minutes.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:39 pm

Mmmhmm. Like star wars.. "Oh we will just jump to hyperspace through that ship.." why didn't they do that to the death star 1.0 and 1.1 and then death planet 1.0 and super star destroyer 1.0 and... bleh.

Yeah the War machine falling part was pretty dubious after everything we have seen Stark do and have done to the iron man suit ..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ProCarsteNation » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Mmmhmm. Like star wars.. "Oh we will just jump to hyperspace through that ship.." why didn't they do that to the death star 1.0 and 1.1 and then death planet 1.0 and super star destroyer 1.0 and... bleh.

Yeah the War machine falling part was pretty dubious after everything we have seen Stark do and have done to the iron man suit ..

maybe a question of exactly that, the order of things.
maybe they found out what that hyperspace jump does right then and there...
maybe that kamikaze manuva was a desperate last effort
distract the enemy, make as big a dent as you can

what irks me more about that scene is
why the fuck did anyone have to stay on that ship to steer it? no autopilot ?!?

but yes, once the rules are established, please stick to those rules. don't conveniently forget powers just to drag out the episode a few more minutes
aural conjunctions on SC

I hate moodswings are awesome! Oh, and I usually post when I'm way too tired...
Invisible Man wrote:do something selfish and live a little.
ProCarsteNation

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby calfzilla » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 am

So, yall.... Children of the Whales is pretty good a few episodes in. Reminds me of a final fantasy story. Binge watching will commence.
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion