The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby jrfox92 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:29 pm

A group decided to create an Area 51 raid in Arma 3 and it's great.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:36 pm

A couple of friends recommended Into The Breach so I just bought it. Let's see how it is!
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby 3205 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:14 pm

After years of resisting I stumbled into a good justification for buying a cheap 360. Then I went a little nuts buying/reinstalling every shootyarcadey game ever

Akai Katana
Bangai-O
Bubble Bobble NEO
Capcom Arcade Cabinet
Deathsmiles 2X
Dodonpachi SaiDaiOuJou
Espgaluda 2
Galaga Legions DX
Ginga Force
Guardian Heroes
Guwange
Gyruss
House of the Dead 3
Hard Corps Uprising
Ikaruga
Midway Arcade Origins
Mushihimesama Futari
Namco Museum Virtual Arcade
Omega Five
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Pink Sweets / Muchi Muchi Pork
R-Type Dimensions
Radiant Silvergun
Raiden Fighter Aces
Rainbow Islands
Raystorm
Space Invaders Extreme
Space Invaders Infinity Gene
Tempest
Triggerheart Excelica
Under Defeat HD

ah yeah, who wants to have a Sinistar tournament :joy:
affiliations
Chase Bliss, Spiral Electric, DigiTech/DOD

committed
committed

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Don't forget the triangle service stuff. And eschatos ( It's by the guy that did judgement silversword, which is also included). And the other dodonpachi. And Raiden IV.

The NTSC-J one had both mushihimesamas. Some of the cave stuff had two releases, one region free and one locked (esp galuda 2). I've got most off all of those you listed and I'll check my shelf to see if there are any more that I missed. The triangle service game bundles have some overlap and some are region locked and some aren't (even one has a two disc collection where one disc is and the other isn't).

Eschatos is a great shooter. Pink Sweets is still probably my favorite.

Triangle service https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Service
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby 3205 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:51 pm

I've got most of the obvious missing stuff on Steam. I've looked at the Triangle Service stuff a lot but it just seems super janky. I prefer JSS to Eschatos, it just feels more tight.
affiliations

committed
committed

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 pm

It's fun if you've exhausted everything else. The Pengo stuff was dissapointing and not as fun as the Penguin World that I've had for 30 years on my Master system.

XBox 360 is a bad ass choice though. It's the only console I've had plugged in continuously for the last 5 years.

I don't remember if it's XII Stag or ∆Zeal, but one of those I had a lot of fun with. It had a great scoring system and I think branching levels. It was both...Delta zeal had a fun power up thing and xii stag was like psyvariar lite (just looked at videos to remind myself).

I always forget steam exists. Haha. I have a steam account but everything was terrible to play on my computer.

Last games I played on the computer was Cho Ren Sha 68k and Hellsinker (which I bought from the original maker via CD-ROM).

Pink Sweets though. I love that damn game. I believe it's impossible to 1cc without the glitch (unless somebody has finally pulled it off...haven't looked in about a.year).

Psyvariar is on switch and PS4 now! Not part two though.

I think you can get psyvariar2 for xbox though...there were two versions and not sure on region. Think one was PAL?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby 3205 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:04 pm

I'm focusing on Ginga Force right now, it has a pleasant amount of content.

Hellsinker is actually releasing on Steam here in a few days! It's being updated in some way, though I'm not sure exactly how.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1067720/Hellsinker/

shmups I have on steam/PC:
ZeroRanger and Cambria Sword are probably the best of the bunch. Very special games.
affiliations

committed
committed

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:35 pm

I think I looked up zeroranger because you recommended it. Looked like a blast but I don't really have anything that steam works on right now...nor do I really even understand it as a platform? Haha. Crimson Clover and Astebreed were why I had it and both slowed the computer down to a crawl (unplayable not good slowdown). Astebreed is for everything now though and it's a fun game.

Did you find Rym9000 kind of a let down? I haven't played it much, but it was just ok on the switch. Strania was good fun on the Xbox though.

Senko No Ronde went by Warzone on Xbox360...it was like a $9 budget physical release (and stupid name haha).

Have you played Hellsinker? I have another similar game made by a Russian crew that was kind of more arcane. The Hellsinker guys had an earlier game I could never get working. I love Hellsinker though...so mystical and weird. I wish that came out for switch or something.

There were a couple of ok games on Xbox Arcade but I think that's dead now and I can't remember their names anyway. One guy was developing a sequel to his and his artist dropped out...i almost asked to help out with some stuff (we used to talk on shmups board) but I just wasn't sure if I could devote the time and he dropped work on it.

I think one of my highschool friends worked on one of those recentish Dreamcast games like fast striker. I know they hired him after I sent him the application but I don't know what came of it.
Last edited by lordgalvar on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby 3205 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 pm

I appreciate what Rym 9000 is trying to do, because I like off the wall shmups (e.g. Cambria Sword), but yeah it could use more substance with all that style. It was only $3 though so

I've barely scratched the surface of Hellsinker, I bounce off it hard every time I try. Don't think I've ever cleared the second level. Hoping the Steam release makes it less opaque somehow.

I have an American 360, so no DaiOuJou or Instant Brain for me.
affiliations

committed
committed

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Ketsui! But I think that's out for PS4 now. So no need for NTSC-J. That DaiOuJou and resurrection black label (which I think was only on NTSC-J)..I gotta bust out my other Xbox haha. Need to look into if the new ketsui has the black label or not.

RXN Raiden was another one for switch I thought needed more.

Crimson Clover was really fun when it came out. I had an extremely early version from before steam existed that was fun before it got too manic and crawled to death. Haha.

Too many damn games.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby 3205 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:14 am

Yeah I need to get Shottriggers Mahou Daisaikusen and Ketsui, and then ESP Ra De. I was waiting for them to come to Xbox One, because that was going to be my shmup box, but then M2 stopped porting and Microsoft paused backwards compatibility. So now I'm considering rebuying Garegga and Feveron for PS4 and selling the One because virtually everything on it I can play elsewhere. BUT I don't like the PS4 controller very much for shmups.

First world problems
affiliations

committed
committed

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:12 am

someone who's opinion i respect very highly said that Ibara was hands-down their fav shooter but I literally have no way to play it lol. Tried to figure out PS2 emu on my macbook but quite quickly came up against problems and error messages i couldn't fix. I haven't used windows in ages and i tell ya, that kinda thing takes me right back haha. but at least on windows, an idiot like me could uuuuuusually get stuff like PS2 emulation going.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:35 pm

PS2 version of Ibara is broken. It's still fun, but the pink sweets conversion is light years ahead. I think somebody fixed Ibara at one time with a better, more arcade true patch for PS2 but I would have no idea how to find it. They set it up so that you could download the game to the optional PS2 hard drive and patch it on system iirc.

Mac emulation was always way way behind (at least 10 years ago). I remember all these cool name setups and updates I never got on my iMac haha.

I used to bust out my copy of Ibara PS2 from time to time though.

3205: agreed on ps controllers for shmups. I feel like the PS4 is worse than the PS2 dualshock. Nintendo, outside of game cube, are pretty bad too. Sega and Microsoft controllers are far superior. The 360 controller turned out to be one of my favorites despite wanting to hate it haha. I've got an arcade stick for PS4, but it still feels off.

Shottriggers Mahou Daisaikusen and ESP Ra De .... Are those out?

I thought M2 was working on Darius for Sega right now?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby 3205 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Mahou Daisaikusen and Ketsui have been on Japan PSN for a while now. ESP Ra De is supposed to come out this year, I think.

M2 is all over the place these days. I think they’re behind the Mega Drive Mini and Konami collections as well.
affiliations

committed
committed

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:28 pm

I've got a physical release of ketsui. Mahou Daisaikusen I forgot was Japan PSN only. Regions suck...I guess I'll make that Japanese PSN account someday before it gets randomly pulled for no reason.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion