The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby jrfox92 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:46 am

So, I got UE4 last week because I realized I don't really care for any games currently on the market, but in the meantime, looking at other gamedevs' work makes me realize how much better games could be.
I mean, look at this:

It's like someone saw NMS and decided to make it better.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:18 am

I've been thinking about getting back into the Witcher 3 but the DLC is still not cheap. I guess I could play the main game again and hopefully grab the DLC in the xmas sale.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:18 am

jrfox92 wrote:So, I got UE4 last week because I realized I don't really care for any games currently on the market, but in the meantime, looking at other gamedevs' work makes me realize how much better games could be.
I mean, look at this:

It's like someone saw NMS and decided to make it better.

I've been using Unreal Engine at work for more than 12 years now, I love that engine :).
Are you in the industry or just curious ?
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:44 pm

oscillateur wrote:I've been using Unreal Engine at work for more than 12 years now, I love that engine :).
Are you in the industry or just curious ?

Just trying out a new hobby.
I've noticed that I've been generally underwhelmed by most games out there, but there's usually a few elements of each game I do like that I think, "this'd be great if it was mixed with this thing from game x and game y and in an environment more like game z", etc.
So, I figured that the best way to get what I want is to just try making it. :idea:
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 am

So, I got the newer Battlefront II a little while ago because it was on sale and I'm an idiot that doesn't listen to reason.
I gave it a few tries to see if I was judging it too quickly.

First off, the multiplayer is possibly the worst multiplayer I've ever experienced.
There's absolutely no balance that I could find. Those with the highest ranked weapons one-shot every fucking time. Every time you die you have to go through a 3-5 second wait time (which is significantly more infuriating than perma death or waiting for the next round).
The only positive thing is that you're fighting a Star Wars battle, but you're likely to be pissed off 99% of the time because the game is just. so. bad.

Now, what I thought could be a saving grace was the multiplayer/arcade modes.
Nope.
They're now permanently fucked behind a non-stop loading screen.
Oh, it also takes FIVE FUCKING MINUTES to load the game on start.
FIVE MINUTES.
I have a couple of other comparably large games that load in a matter of seconds. But not this piece of shit.
Not this absolute dumpster fire of a cash grab made by one of, if not the, worst gaming companies on this planet.

Holy shit, I'd rather have spent the ~$5 I spent on this on a skin for TF2 or an overpriced soda, at least that would've gotten me something that had actual worth.
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GAS KING » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 pm

2019 is looking promising.

Anthem in Feb.
Played the alpha and was total "meh" to the experience. Maybe they'll reveil more details as time goes on...since I have no clue what the game will end up being.

Division 2 in March.
This is a for sure for me. I enjoyed Division 1 post the patches.

Rage 2 has some potential but I need to see more.

Gears of War 5.
I probably will because I've played all of them so far even though I don't particularly care for them. Sometimes the on rails shooter is a nice relief to all of the open world or online PvP games.

Halo infinite
Because it'll be on PC. yes.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby Andrew » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:39 am

Finally got around to building myself a new PC

NSFW: show

Vega56 and Ryzen 2600x. Went all AMD for the first time
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:49 am

Nice looking build dude. Dig that case.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby codetocontra » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Favorite games I played in 2018:
1) Zelda Breath of the Wild (one of my favorites of all time)
2) Doom (2016)
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Titanfall 2
5) PUBG

Lots of good games out there but I really haven't enjoyed many of the others I played in 2018. Part of that is like I am hungover from BOTW and every game doesn't give me the same feelings. Just got Smash Ultimate but haven't played it enough to put on my list. Kind of fell off of PUBG after getting my first solo chicken dinner. Even went back to playing Gears of War 4 multiplayer, still fun.

Played lots of Switch games with the family. So appreciative of that time even if the games aren't super great, like Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis, and Mario Kart. It's a generational thing now. My wife and I played Nintendo when we were kids, and now to share that experience with ours is truly wonderful.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:23 pm

I have so many games that I just can't play due to weird video issues and it's really starting to bug me. For instance, David Lynch Teaches Typing doesn't open, it just plays the audio. Mini Metro opens a black screen with audio and I can hear as I scroll over different menu options that I can't see. Tokyo 42 gives me error messages along the lines of "DX11 could not switch resolution" and doesn't open. Fract Osc I can actually play, but the audio gets all weird and distorted when there's too much going on the screen

I've tried updating my Nvidia drivers and the common solutions which appears to be disabling the full screen optimization in the settings, but nothing works. Any other ideas?

Also, this is on Windows 10 and mostly using Steam
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby codetocontra » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:39 pm

Any ideas? Yeah, get a Swtich. You'll thank me later. I joke (sort of) but it's those reasons I don't do PC gaming and stick to consoles. Someone else might be better at helping.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:02 pm

codetocontra wrote:Any ideas? Yeah, get a Swtich. You'll thank me later. I joke (sort of) but it's those reasons I don't do PC gaming and stick to consoles. Someone else might be better at helping.

I'd love to get a Switch actually. I'll hopefully actually pull the trigger on one sometime this year
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:00 pm

I'm normally left cold by big-budget AAA titles that want to be movies but RDR2 is perhaps the most affecting thing I've ever played.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Dead Cells. It's like a dark souls I can actually grasp the controls and have fun.

My wife got me a switch. Dead Cells, man. It's a blast. Lovin' the switch.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby popvulture » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:39 pm

codetocontra wrote:Favorite games I played in 2018:
1) Zelda Breath of the Wild (one of my favorites of all time)
2) Doom (2016)
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Titanfall 2
5) PUBG

Lots of good games out there but I really haven't enjoyed many of the others I played in 2018. Part of that is like I am hungover from BOTW and every game doesn't give me the same feelings. Just got Smash Ultimate but haven't played it enough to put on my list. Kind of fell off of PUBG after getting my first solo chicken dinner. Even went back to playing Gears of War 4 multiplayer, still fun.

Played lots of Switch games with the family. So appreciative of that time even if the games aren't super great, like Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis, and Mario Kart. It's a generational thing now. My wife and I played Nintendo when we were kids, and now to share that experience with ours is truly wonderful.

I've been playing solely BOTW for a year, basically. I decided I just wanted to play it with absolutely no time constraint in sight, almost deliberately too slowly. I'm still just wandering around doing side missions, shrines, and general exploration, and I'm only like 30% through the main quest. It's so awesome and I never want it to end. Might never finish, haha.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion