The Mandela Effect and Other Ludicrous Things

Moderator: Ghost Hip

The Mandela Effect and Other Ludicrous Things

Postby chuckjaywalk » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:07 am

http://mandelaeffect.com/

I stumbled across the Mandela Effect while looking for inspiration for my National Novel Writing Month novel. The Wiki entry for the Mandela Effect gets removed frequently, which causes no small amount of consternation among the believers. The basic gist of it is that we are shifting through dimensions, either physically or mentally, and there are subtle differences in reality that some people pick up on. One way that believers track the shifts is via celebrity deaths. The name 'Mandela Effect' comes from the belief that Nelson Mandela died in prison 20 years ago and that the current version of reality, which says that he was released from prison and became president of South Africa before dying a few years ago, is false. Other differences include the Berenstein/Berenstain Bears, Froot Loops/Fruit Loops, and McDonald's/MacDonald's.

Disclaimer: I am not a believer in this theory, so if I seem glib or dismissive, sorry.

Years ago, in my journeys across the fringe parts of the internet, among the Flat Earthers and Race War preppers, I found oblique references to time travel. These time travelers seemed to be doing so against their will, complaining of the headaches, nausea, and bloody noses that deja vu brought on. They tagged themselves via the names of celebrities that had died in their home realities, with names like Brimley98 and Cosby02. I figured it was just another kink. Seeing the Mandela Effect give name and form to this phenomenon elicits both a head shake and a slight smile from me.

On one hand, I can only think of one other branch of conspiracy theory that is easier to dismiss as mental illness, the DallasGoldbug school of all celebrities being the same actors. On the other hand, there's a certain cuteness to the idea that we are shifting time and space but the only markers are the names of TV shows (Sex in the City/Sex and the City) and when things happened (9/11 vs. 9/10). Clearly, the obvious answer is that these are people that cannot accept that their memories are perfect, so every single shred of evidence is clearly wrong. It does require a tremendous ego and large amount of solipsism to believe that a shift in reality is more possible than that you misrecalled the name of a children's book series.

Still, I find it interesting. What other ludicrousness is out there?
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: The Mandela Effect and Other Ludicrous Things

Postby Sparrow » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:35 am

Blue Strat - Jazzmascis - Tele.
Fender - Squier.
Dr. Scientist - Dirge - FuzzHugger - Montreal Assembly - Hypnodrone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparrow1133
Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:44 am

Kinda sounds like the plot of a bunch of PKD novels.

If enough people believe, it must be true?!?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby weed_killer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:18 am

Chankgeez wrote:Kinda sounds like the plot of a bunch of PKD novels.

If enough people believe, it must be true?!?

yeah, in fact I'm pretty sure this happened in a lot of his work - off the top of my head Ubik is probably the best example of a mass-consciousness type of disruption (the only ones dead are really the only ones alive in the real world), Three Stigmata for disruption via one entity (once ingested, the chew-z seems to permanently alter your perception of reality, letting environments remain static enough to lure you into false hope then dissolving again) and maybe Man in the High Castle for a more realist/less SF example, specifically at the end where the japanese businessman suddenly experiences a brief hallucination of an alternate timeline in which the allies did win the war.

Then again, just about any possible idea along these lines are usually somewhere in his novels - I'm up for joining a PKD cult over anything else.
weed_killer

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:18 am

weed_killer wrote:I'm up for joining a PKD cult over anything else.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:23 am

we are experiencing the sub conscious reality of our reptilian selves, so that totally makes sense
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby neonblack » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Man, I just wanna chill in a flying saucer and see all the wonders of the universe. Is that so hard?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby darthbatman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:05 pm

chuckjaywalk wrote:Still, I find it interesting. What other ludicrousness is out there?

Reptilians was always a pretty good one :excellent:
Also the whole lore behind sleep paralysis and the various entities reported by lots of sufferers,
which dovetails nicely into alien abduction territory and folds neatly back into reptilians, like a big conspiracy burrito :snax:
darthbatman

committed
committed

Postby Sparrow » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:21 pm

darthbatman wrote:
chuckjaywalk wrote:Still, I find it interesting. What other ludicrousness is out there?

Reptilians was always a pretty good one :excellent:
Also the whole lore behind sleep paralysis and the various entities reported by lots of sufferers,
which dovetails nicely into alien abduction territory and folds neatly back into reptilians, like a big conspiracy burrito :snax:

Blue Strat - Jazzmascis - Tele.
Fender - Squier.
Dr. Scientist - Dirge - FuzzHugger - Montreal Assembly - Hypnodrone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparrow1133
Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:11 pm

Well the 2012 stuff was a lot of fun.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:36 pm

coast to coast am is cool
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby snipelfritz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:30 pm

I'm not surprised Wikipedia is taking that down when 90% of their traffic is people trying to remember if some celebrity is still alive or not.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA

Behndy wrote:i don't like people with "talent" and "skills" that don't feel the need to cover their inadequacies under good time happy sounds.
snipelfritz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby CBA » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:07 pm

One of my all-time favorites, no pun intended. Not sure if that's really a pun but the "time" thing is unintentional. Although now I guess it could qualify as intentional because I've thought about it.

ANYWAY:

http://www.timecube.com/
CBA

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby darthbatman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Another good one that cropped up in recent years is the thing about ELFs (i think it stood for electromagnetic low frequency?)
which were allegedly being used to remotely send psychic MK-Ultra style signals to targets who were then brainwashed into harming or killing people..

Like an example was that one lady who for no apparent reason crashed her car into the white house gate with her toddler in the car, and was shot by the police/SS. It ties into a whole community of "Etheric Warriors" who believe they are fighting evil through a combination of astral projection battles with psychic parasites and "gifting" with orgonite, which is supposed to be a sort of chi/ether energy transformer that uses crystals and metal shavings floating in resin epoxy.

These people place these orgonite pyramids at the bases of cell phone towers and government structures all around the world and often follow up with reports of seeing black helicopters cruising the area to investigate the disturbances. Which makes sense if you think HAARP and Chemtrails (new buzzword now is "Geo-engineering") are working to establish an energy grid to control environmental and psychic energies.

I realize i sound like a schizoid but i'm just telling you what i've found in similar searches for the fringe elements. I don't like to just Believe things but it's definitely entertaining to read about.

Sparrow wrote:

Dude I hate when these videos have a cool graphic like that and then you scan through two hours of some nerd talking on a webcam, and the picture isn't even a still from anywhere in the video... Super lame.
darthbatman

committed
committed

Postby resincum » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:10 pm

I have a homie who is all about the orgonite, not really the mumbo jumbo or conspiracy theories. oddly enough the ghetto birds are always flying over his house/hood when he's making it haha! I have some around the house and got my friend some as well. he slept better than ever after I gave it to him supposedly (he was havin problems resting round then). when I first got mine i put it under my pillow and felt like i was on acid when i dreamt. coincidence or not, orgonite interests me, all mumbo jumbo aside.

posting from inside the hollow earth atm
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Discussion