Meditation

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Meditation

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:40 am

Do you Meditate ?
What's Your Experience?

sometimes i just sit and Zen out. lately i've been listening to youtube clips.
Chakra stuff. Pineal Gland stuff. 432 hz stuff.

this stuff has such a Hippy connection. but. i finally tried it myself. pretty Neat.

i feel Really good after some "sessions". my whole body feels like it got massaged. and .. i didn't even move. i just sit cross legged with headphones on.
other conscious and sub-conscious things as well. i'm in such a Learning mode :erm: :idea: :!!!:

Last edited by Sparrow on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Strat - Jazzmascis - Tele.
Fender - Squier.
Dr. Scientist - Dirge - FuzzHugger - Montreal Assembly - Hypnodrone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparrow1133
Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Meditation

Postby blakestree » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:45 am

I don't, but wish I did.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52 am

i'm not a Gym person at all. i always want to lift some weights - to get some upper body strength ..
meditation is actually making becoming Fit - Much Easier!??
Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Faldoe » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:57 pm

I used to Meditate more frequently but then fell out of practice. I've done it here and there more recently and it is beneficial and I always end up saying "I need to do that more," but I'm lazy and or get distracted.

I sit either in a chair with good posture or on the ground leg's crossed with good back support.

I don't use mantras or stuff like that. I close my eyes try to focus on my breathing but also just allow whatever is going on internally to just happen and not control/stop it - mind racing, or my awareness of external happenings (car going by). I start slowing my breathing. After a while I become more focused. Thoughts will pop up, images.

It's easy to get caught up in controlling - saying "I'm not going to control my thoughts" or something like that, which is also a form of control.

What has been the most fruitful of my meditation experiences is just 'being' in a very in tune way, not calculating, saying anything, crazy internal movement.
Faldoe

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:15 pm

30 minutes every morning, to smooth drones or just silence. Great way to start the day. Total game/life changer.

I used that app called Headspace for the first few months, but after I got a grip of it I started doing it my own way.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kaeth » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:45 am

I try to, but it rarely happens. Life gets in the way I guess. I know letting that happen is completely counter-intuitive to the point of meditation. To kick myself in the pants and do it, I usually require a catalyst of some type: psychedelics, drones, strobe lights or dream machines, isolation tank. It's great when it happens though - some very revelatory moments. It's cool when you realize how much quicker and more expansive your whole mind is than the tiny bit you use to think consciously - when you're hearing symphonies in real-time more complex than you're even capable of writing; images with more detail than you can comprehend at one time. That's all the pretty, hedonistic level though. I guess the (passive) goal is to reach the clear light in the deeper level where all is suspended in oneness.
kaeth

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 am

next thing you'll know I'll buy a sandwich from you in a Phish parking lot.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Swordfishtrombone » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:49 am

Sparrow wrote:i'm not a Gym person at all. i always want to lift some weights - to get some upper body strength ..
meditation is actually making becoming Fit - Much Easier!??

Body weight exercises, mang. I've always noticed that I seem to see faster increases in size + strength with body weight than I ever did when lifting weights.

Also, any resources that you'd recommend for reading, or suggestions on meditation? I've been kinda interested in trying it lately, but I don't really understand how I'm meant to get myself into that state.
Swordfishtrombone

committed
committed

Postby kaeth » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:11 am

Meditation is a fairly personal thing. You can find some helpful writing about it if you look, but it's all about just finding what works for you. A big misconception that people think is that you're supposed to be able to completely quiet your mind, which in actuality is next to impossible. Think of it this way: instead of actively thinking about things, just try to be a passive observer of your thoughts. Just let them happen instead of making them happen. But don't dwell on them - acknowledge them, and then let them go and move on. It's about mindfulness and experiencing the now, and not worrying about the past or future. There are tricks to keep yourself from going on long mental tangents. You can just focus on your breathing, or count 1 to 10 over and over, or use a mantra. A mantra is a short word or phrase that should be nonsensical. Make it up. You know how if you repeat a word over and over again it starts to lose meaning and not sound like a real word anymore? A mantra is the same idea. It's usually better if you're sitting upright cross-legged on a pillow, because it keeps you relatively alert. Laying usually leads me to just having a nap. Comfortable, but not too comfortable is the point. Turn off any electronic distraction like your computer or phone. Or don't do any of that if you don't feel like it.

kaeth wrote:I usually require a catalyst of some type: psychedelics, drones, strobe lights or dream machines, isolation tank.

These can throw you into that state head-first, but they're kind of cheating in the sense that they don't help you get any better at it. It's a shortcut. It can be seen as a type of state-dependent learning. If you do it too much, you may begin to NEED those things to do it. I'm a bad example. A master of meditation should be able to do it just fine on a busy subway, but you're probably better off starting in a comfortable, quiet, dim room and working your way up.

Any book you find is going to be full of bias, and other people's personal views and philosophy on meditation. There's a lot of interesting stuff as long as you acknowledge that none of it is universal truth. That said, there is definitely some food for thought floating around.

Eastern philosophy often winds up coming to logical paradoxes or nonsense (in a good way). Sometimes the understanding or realization of these contradictions is enough to shock you into a moment of altered consciousness, so books on Taoism and Zen tend to come to mind when I meditate.
kaeth

committed
committed

Postby Swordfishtrombone » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:00 am

Huh alright. Maybe I'll give it a go in a few hours when everything's quiet + I'm done doing other things. I'll do some light reading on it + try to keep what you said in mind tho. Thanks for the advice!
Swordfishtrombone

committed
committed

Postby Big Mon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:21 pm

I meditate and do various breathing exercises. I started doing it as a substitute for pot when I quit smoking it last year. The yoga breath technique in this video can give you a sort of natural high.
Skip to about 34:00, as the rest of the video is about addiction recovery.
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aens_wife » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:13 pm

A timely reminder that I should be doing more of this right now.

There is a 3 day meditation retreat about 30 minutes away from my town that I am extremely interested in going to in the next year. I could use a good, old fashioned mental rest and reset.
aens_wife

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kaeth » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:04 am

Relevant.

kaeth

committed
committed

Postby Big Mon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:23 am

kaeth wrote:Relevant.

:lol: Saw that earlier on FB :thumb:
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sparrow » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 pm

blooghost wrote:
kaeth wrote:Relevant.

:lol: Saw that earlier on FB :thumb:

this one seems cheezy with the voice. but - it works pretty good for me. and it's short.
Fender - Squier.

Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Discussion