The Automotive (& other mechanized vehicles) thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Automotive thread

Postby nad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:51 pm

This was my garage for 1 week. Well, for one day really, I just wanted to put both the WRX and the Mazdaspeed3 in there for kicks and take a picture. I drove the shit out of the WRX for 6 years and 91k miles before selling it, then drove the 'speed for 4 years and 45k miles before trading it in for my Wrangler.

I still miss the WRX. What a great god damn automobile. As for the Mazda... I'll never own a FWD sports car again. :omg:
Those whose nose knows the noes.
nad

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:18 am

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:38 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby colin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:02 am

I've been in some negotiations with the owner of this:

1974 Mazda RX-4 Wagon. Needs bodywork and paint though (passenger side is pretty messed up) which won't be cheap, so I don't think it's going to be happening. The seller and I aren't too far apart on price, but his bottom dollar is just a little higher than I'd be comfortable with on this. The timing isn't quite right anyway, I'll be in a better position for picking up a project in about a month, but if the price was right I'd jump on something now.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:32 am

Heck yea man! There are a ton of awesome videos about rebuilding those engines on youtube! I would love one of those! There are even some for adding a bridgeport on them.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby colin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:46 am

I might do it still, but the bodywork needed worries me. The seller has told me that he's had an estimate done for the repairs and repaint at just under $3000. The lowest price he'll sell for is $3500, so realistically I'd be looking at $7000 minimum, and I'm just not sure I'm willing to put that much into it.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:56 am

I think 3000 is probably low for that work unless you do the body work yourself actually. A good paint job would probably be 5k at least. There is probably more rust than you can't see (I forget about rust a lot because we just don't have the same amount of water around out in the deserts of California).

Yea, seeing that, I would probably pass too. For 1500-2000...maybe and just work on it slowly...nothing like driving around with a primer'd sleeper but I would be prepared to pour 10k into it to make it the way I wanted it (over several years). The other thing about those rotaries is that sometimes you've just got to toss 'em. It would be one of those project cars to goof around with but not actually rely on to me.

Would be a better deal if you knew somebody that was into these rotaries and was always getting parts and had extras (like a lot of GM people around my hometown). I guess it all depends on how far you want to get into this stuff.

You'll find something better man.

Ha, if I had a project car, I'd probably never buy a pedal or guitar again :lol:
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby colin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:04 am

My thoughts exactly, and I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. I could probably find a well sorted RX-4 coupe for less than what this would end up costing. Maybe even an RX-2 or 3. There's also a couple of really nice looking Rx-7 Gsl-se on my local CL that I'd strongly consider if they're still available in about a month.

I'm definitely not going to be using whatever I end up buying as my daily driver though, so that's not a concern. My first car was an '88 Rx-7, so I've got a real soft spot for rotaries, but I may still end up with something totally different.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:59 am

Awesome man. I was really interested in rotaries for a long time but they are kind of rare out here in Southern California. I think they are pretty cool and it is awesome that you had one. Be awesome to see what you end up with though. On the other hand, I see Darts, Novas, Cameros, and Corvairs daily driving around.

Just don't get impatient. Deals are out there, especially for a project car. Go to car shows and auto-swaps...sometimes those dudes just want cash to get out of their project. Hell, I almost got a vega with a roll cage for $500 once. My dad got the austin healey for $700 and the morris minor for 3k. All were in great shape (well, the vega had no engine or transmission, but it was a rolling chasis for drag racing).

Do you guys have smog/emmissions testing up there in Canada/BC (I don't remember if I asked that before)? That's why I generally like older stuff is to avoid laws (pre-1972 is grandfathered in).

Probably next year, when all this remodeling is done, I will pick something up (my mom is trying to give me the austin healey since they bought an S2000 or something. They want me to take the willys too...I'd probably take the willys but I couldn't park it anywhere in LA).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby colin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:16 am

No emissions testing in B.C., it just got scrapped this year. Insurance is stupid expensive here though, it's a government controlled monopoly. But we have collector plates available for cars 25 years or older provided they are in good and mostly original condition and not used as a daily driver. Insurance for the year on collector plates is only a few hundred compared to $1500 or so. So I'm only interested in cars that I think would qualify for collector status without a ton of work.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 am

Colin, you're giving me old Mazda GAS.

Not sure what this song actually has to do with the San Jose Speedway, but there're photos of cars :idk: :

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Almost as :cool: as a Brubaker Box:

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Nah, Brubaker Box is better.

I kinda have always wanted an old Mazda...I think I am just going to hold out for my Chevy II, Falcon or Tempest or something (GTO is my dream though).

Does it make me a hippy that I kinda want a vanagon with a sink and bed?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:37 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Nah, Brubaker Box is better.

Yeah, I was just saying that for effect.

lordgalvar wrote:
Does it make me a hippy that I kinda want a vanagon with a sink and bed?

:idk: I kinda want one too. Some people might call me a hippy. So, :idk:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:52 pm

Punk is hippies
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion