The Automotive (& other mechanized vehicles) thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Automotive (& other mechanized vehicles) thread

Postby colin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:14 pm

An RX-7 would be cool, my first car was an '88. Unfortunately I think I've told my wife too many stories that ended with that car breaking down, she'd not be best pleased if I got another one.

I found the perfect car for me on my local cl, but sadly too pricey for me.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/6170215432.html
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:38 pm

That'd be awesome, Colin, you should get it anyway. :poke:

Talk 'em down. :snax:

Look what I just found:

:lol:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby colin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:56 pm

I love that, my next car needs to be purple.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 am

So I'm going to be needing a new car this fall, and looking around, I'm filled with despair because there doesn't seem to be any good choices in my price range. So I'm enlisting you fukkers to help. Tell me what my next car should be. Requirements:

- Needs to have a backseat that can fit an actual human in it. My son is 6, but I'll probably have this car for about 5 years, so it needs to be able to fit an 11-year-old (this means that the BRZ/FRS is out, as is an old Porsche)
- Needs to have a manual transmission. My current car is the first automatic I've ever had and I hate the fuck out of it.
- Needs to be sporty and have some power
- Needs to be relatively reliable, this is my daily driver

Budget 15-20K

HELP
Last edited by bigchiefbc on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 am

bigchiefbc wrote:- Needs to have a manual transmission. My current car is the first automatic I've ever had and I hate the fuck out of it.

I think this's your main problem.

Apparenly, fewer and fewer cars are getting made with manual transmissions. Apparently, automatic transmissions are supposed to be getting better and better.

So, my advice to you is not to *automatically* discount cars with automatic transmissions. Otherwise you'll be severely limiting your choices. Definitely go test drive any car that meets your other criteria. Then reconsider. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:18 am

Chankgeez wrote:
bigchiefbc wrote:- Needs to have a manual transmission. My current car is the first automatic I've ever had and I hate the fuck out of it.

I think this's your main problem.

Apparenly, fewer and fewer cars are getting made with manual transmissions. Apparently, automatic transmissions are supposed to be getting better and better.

So, my advice to you is not to *automatically* discount cars with automatic transmissions. Otherwise you'll be severely limiting your choices. Definitely go test drive any car that meets your other criteria. Then reconsider. :idk:

I understand that everyone says that, but I've never had a good experience with an auto. But sure, feel free to suggest cars that meet the others and I'll all least take them for a spin. I'm really just looking for some direction here, because all of my searching has only turned up a few cars that are even close to what I'm looking for.

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:33 am

I'm not up enough on the current market to begin making suggestions. :idk:

Which are the cars you're looking at so far?
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 am

Chankgeez wrote:I'm not up enough on the current market to begin making suggestions. :idk:

Which are the cars you're looking at so far?

Cars I've found so far that are around my price range that are at least mildly interesting:

Keep in mind I haven't test driven any of these yet, and I haven't tried to shove my son in the back seat of any of them yet.

2002-2012 Mazda RX-8 6M 9-15K (I've seen a few low mileage ones)
2010-2017 Chevy Camaro SS/Z28 17-25K (meh, not a muscle car guy, really)
2008-2014 Infiniti G37 Coupe 17-21K
2009-2014 Mini Cooper JCW 13-20K (skeptical about this one, but I've heard they're fun to drive)
2013-2017 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6/6M 18-22K (boring, but I've heard they're quicker than you'd think)
2013-2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 16-20K (ditto)

Seems like a good size list, but honestly very few of these move the needle for me at ALL. I'm trying to see if there are any fun options I forgot. I also considered the BMW 3/4-series coupe and the Audi A5, but haven't found any in my price range unless they have like 90K miles.
Last edited by bigchiefbc on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achtane wrote:

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:14 am

I've driven a Mini Cooper (not a JCW though). They are fun to drive. :!!!:

I'm not the most practical person to ask for car advice. Let's hope someone with more sense chimes in. :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Minis are awesome to drive
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:24 pm

We test drove the Genesis. It was nice than I thought. But I always see Hyundai's looking pretty worn after 5 or so years...but that may be dependent on owners and how long you plan on keeping it.

As I remember on the Honda v6, the added power kinda came with way worse gas mileage (though, my information is old). At that point, I'd rather go with the camaro. We have the inline 4 Honda, and it feels underpowered to me (even though some people claim they have some zip....it's got some kinda dead spots in the gearing).

Mini, see Hyundai's Genesis.

I think the new Camaros are sportier than the old ones (which is why I don't really care for them). I love GM and I think that would be a fun car, especially with some tweaks to the ls. I will say that every modern gm/Chevy I've owned had some goofy problems (like sensor stuff or power windows ... Just annoyances). This or the Mazda would be my choice.

The Rx's are a car ive always thought was cool as heck.

I would never buy a car with a computer again (or catalytic converter), so maybe not the best to be talking modern cars.

Overall, I kinda see the list like you...more functional than fun.

Scrap it all and get a Jeep willys wagon from the 1940s and put an ls9 in it.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:39 pm

lordgalvar wrote:
Scrap it all and get a Jeep willys wagon from the 1940s and put an ls9 in it.

:lol: Yeah, I'm with you on that. :love: This may not be the best thread to ask these practical automotive questions.

Chevy Sonic?
Kia Forte?
I'd take an old Mini anyday, but I'd still take a new Mini too?
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:09 pm

I changed the spark plugs on the Buick today. Whoever decided a transverse V6 was a good idea made a terrible career choice and should have stuck with misting produce or garbage collection. Fucking terrible.

In other news, I'd love to pick up a Shala-vette and clone Frankenstein's car.

I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby colin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:56 pm

^
That would be super cool.

Crazy kit car for sale locally to me:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/6187495753.html
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Achtane » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:45 pm

crochambeau wrote:I changed the spark plugs on the Buick today. Whoever decided a transverse V6 was a good idea made a terrible career choice and should have stuck with misting produce or garbage collection. Fucking terrible.

Oh man.
In my gf's Lumina, you have to unbolt the engine from its mounts and use a ratcheting tie-down or something to rotate it forward so that the rear plugs are accessible.
It can theoretically also be accomplished through clever use of extensions, a u-joint and very tiny hands, but fuck that.
Well, fuck all of it, really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion