The running thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The running thread

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Fartlek is one of the best words ever. Srsly how often do you get to say a word that sounds like “fart lick”?

Been doing track work. Miserable, but it’s slowing my inevitable decline. 4x800 repeats with 2 mins rest. Did I mention it’s miserable?

And if you have access, I’ve found the rowing machine to be absolute tits for improving core/back (shout out to my string bean brethren- 6’2”).
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:23 am

fuzzisokiguess wrote:4x800 repeats with 2 mins rest. Did I mention it’s miserable?

And if you have access, I’ve found the rowing machine to be absolute tits for improving core/back (shout out to my string bean brethren- 6’2”).

:hello:
4x800 is gnarly! My speedwork is nothing like that. I just add in 4x100 sort of sprints at the end of my runs, a few times a week. I'll be increasing the speed stuff soon, but I hope never like that. 800s are awful. I lack the willpower for them.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:03 am

4x800 is so awful. I do 30s sprint, 1 minute jog x 5-10 depending on how I feel. The cool down part gets longer as I go on usually.

If I had easy access to a track I'd probably do 200m and 400m repeats. But I'm sure 800 is good training!!

My favourite speed training is hill repeats though. Unfortunately I live in an incredibly flat place and will do for the foreseeable future.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 am

fuzzisokiguess wrote:Fartlek is one of the best words ever. Srsly how often do you get to say a word that sounds like “fart lick”?

Been doing track work. Miserable, but it’s slowing my inevitable decline. 4x800 repeats with 2 mins rest. Did I mention it’s miserable?

Dude, I've been doing one 4x800 set every week!
2k warm up, 4x50m sprints, then 4x800 at 3 min/800m pace with 2 min rest, then 2k home. The last interval has been smashing me - the first time I did it I got a stitch so bad I literally thought I'd done something bad to my body - had to walk a k before I could even get up to a slow jog. Now I can get through the intervals ok, but the last one is still bullshit haha.

Fart = swedish for speed.
Lek = game/play

Fart is pronounced roughly the same. Lek doesn't have a great equivalent in English, but if you pronounce a short e, like "Lekk", keep the pronounciation the same but draw it out longer and turn up the corners of your mouth like a pathetic attempt at smiling. That'll get you 90% there.

A similar session that is nowhere near as brutal is 3 minutes on, 1 minute off, 2 minutes on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, then another 3,2,1. The nice thing is that once you get past the second 3 minute interval you can go nuts on the last two and really push it without breaking your soul.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Yeah that's a good one although the three minutes is so painful! :lol:

I miss playing hockey because training always involved waaaay more sprinting than I could ever force myself to do

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:37 am

goroth wrote:Dude, I've been doing one 4x800 set every week!

The last interval has been smashing me

3,2,1... without breaking your soul.

Yeah dude!! Nice transatlanticism- I do the exact same workout though instead of sprints I walk around nervously before starting. :facepalm:

First is adrenaline, second mentally tough (why do I do this?), third is physically awful, last is just guts/nuts.

Been telling myself I’ll build up to 6, but I haven’t been able to stomach the fifth one yet, let alone another

The 3-2-1 does sound like a good option and I do need to try some 400s. Also thinking about upping to either 1k or mile repeats, though likelihood of soul (and knee/hip/shin) crushing is high.
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:40 am

I've also been telling myself I'll build up to 6.

Ain't gonna happen :rofl:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby univalve » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 am

Running since 12/05/2015: i did 2694km with the nike run app (nike run club nowadays).
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:25 pm

I need this thread in my life again. I was the least mobile in 2019 than any other year of my life... ever. Probably more active in the womb tbh.
I'm going running today to kick start this back. Slowly working my way back into the shape I was in instead of trying to do it all in two weeks.
2.5 miles today. Probably try to do 2.5 everyday. Work my way back up to 4 miles a day (that usually my diminishing returns point... I'm doing this for overall health, no training to be a runner/do marathons). Complimentary running.

I have a stationary bike I use for cardio too. I finally smartened up and realized if I don't run during the day... I can just skip rope at night. It took me 29 years to figure that one out.

Who is with me!!!!
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:38 pm

FUCK YEAH MAN!

I broke my toe 10 days ago so I haven't been running since then and it's killing me. Sat on some sort of cardio bike thing at the gym and it hurt my backside more than my legs. But I think I might test my toe out on the weekend - it's getting better quickly and the lack of cardio is driving me crazy.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Ummm my run today went a lot better than expected. Like way better. Did 3 miles, felt great honestly. Walked another mile after that.
I'm very surprised. I thought for sure it was going to be instant heart attack on the first hill.
I'm not learning the wrong lesson here. This isn't a "Oh wow... I guess I can get away with not doing.. anything." I'm taking it as "think of how much better you would be if you actually stuck with this."

Alright... we're back! Goroth and $hark!!! *Headbanging
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sears » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:26 pm

I added core exercises last year because I started getting more gigs. Then last month I added a few dumbbell exercises for the same reason. Shrugs and delt presses. I know it's incorrect but I do it every day, just not heavy. If I had to maintain an actual schedule I'd lose track.

I was a skinny dweeb who never did sports. I got hooked on cardio machines when I was in college as a mood stabilizer. When we had our first kid I quit the gym (it seemed selfish) and started running. Now I run in a barefoot-style shoe, every day, 20 miles a week or so and it's probably a 10 minute mile. I started doing intervals (with no real method behind them, jog-sprint-jog) twice a week. My numbers are rather pathetic after running for 17 years but I take pride in doing something I'm not built for. When I'm running (jogging, right? at my pace?), all I think about is that next step, bending my knees, etc. I don't run, I practice running. I am better at the same speed and distance.

My distance, time, body weight haven't changed at all but my shape and posture are completely improved. I'm proud of that. I don't think anybody else even notices, which makes me feel less ashamed of my past self. So it's all good.
sears

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:33 pm

sears wrote:I added core exercises last year because I started getting more gigs. Then last month I added a few dumbbell exercises for the same reason. Shrugs and delt presses. I know it's incorrect but I do it every day, just not heavy. If I had to maintain an actual schedule I'd lose track.

I was a skinny dweeb who never did sports. I got hooked on cardio machines when I was in college as a mood stabilizer. When we had our first kid I quit the gym (it seemed selfish) and started running. Now I run in a barefoot-style shoe, every day, 20 miles a week or so and it's probably a 10 minute mile. I started doing intervals (with no real method behind them, jog-sprint-jog) twice a week. My numbers are rather pathetic after running for 17 years but I take pride in doing something I'm not built for. When I'm running (jogging, right? at my pace?), all I think about is that next step, bending my knees, etc. I don't run, I practice running. I am better at the same speed and distance.

My distance, time, body weight haven't changed at all but my shape and posture are completely improved. I'm proud of that. I don't think anybody else even notices, which makes me feel less ashamed of my past self. So it's all good.

You should be proud!
I'm like you. Not training to run. Just like the mood benefits, cardio benefits, fresh air, vit D. etc. I cap off around the same amount per week once I'm in a groove (if I want to do more cardio, I do something else after 20 or so miles).
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:25 am

:group:

Well done guys! I think training and exercise just for yourself and feeling happier in your body is the best possible reason to do it.

I used to train to run races but I've become very out of practice so now I'm training distance back up. I've never stopped running a few times a week but for whatever reason I just let the distance of each run get smaller for a while. Feels nice to be building up again.

I think adding some bodyweight/core exercises and yoga has really helped with recovery, I think maybe my body is just getting older and needs a bit more attention.

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sears » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:14 am

Also, my dog needs the exercise so it would be silly to walk him and THEN go to the gym. He just trots along. He gets excited for the intervals but then he tries to get ahead of me since he's so fast.
sears

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion