POLITICS: what have you done for us lately?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: most apolitical/partial gov't. shutdown thread

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:54 pm

Building a wall doesn't address the underlying "problem". :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Lurker13 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:56 pm

Psyre wrote:This is obviously not the place for discussion. My apologies

No need to apologize, although due to its hypothetical nature, the discussion would just be opinions. Anyway, I'll offer mine.

I don't think your scenario is realistic at all. Why should college graduates spend a year working a low-paying manual labor job when they can get the higher-paying jobs they went to college for, along with a year of experience and whatever raises and promotions go along with spending that year in their chosen professions? Perhaps a few hardcore Republican students with unmarketable degrees would work on it, but even that seems unrealistic. Most people don't go to college just to work construction jobs. Also, paying off workers' student loans would inflate the wall's already expensive cost.

I very seriously doubt illegal immigrants would work on it, just as a matter of principle. Why should they sell out their own people when they can already find work here? Most of them aren't coming here to become American citizens, they just want to earn money to send home to their families. If they did work on it, they would be pariahs in their own communities.

I just can't see any of what you're suggesting actually happening, at least not in any meaningful numbers.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:57 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:You could apply your entire post to something like infrastructure, which is a actual valuable thing.

YES.

People with principles might be enticed into this because it would be constructive, whereas Trump's wall is destructive.
Last edited by Lurker13 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:07 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Lurker13 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:11 pm

^^^ A great quote indeed (although I need to Google Jose Marti).
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:56 pm

yeah, dichotomies are fun.
Faldoe

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:15 pm

popvulture wrote:
dubkitty wrote:or to put it more plainly, "how many of you would collaborate with racism and fascism for money?"

Well, interestingly that's exactly what Repubs were doing for quite a while before they celebrated the apotheosis of the spray-tanned shitshow.

FTFY
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:51 am

They certainly answered the question of how far they’d go to save more of their money.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:12 pm

:cool:
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:20 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Psyre wrote:Would be interesting to see how opinions of the wall would change if the government allowed those here illegally to work on it for a year for their citizenship.

it wouldn't change, because only the most delusional people think a wall would work to stem the tide of illegal immigration.

Then allowed those wanting a fast track to citizenship the ability to work a year for legal status.

Because this administration doesn't keep promises toward anyone who wants to "work" for citizenship, because they don't want to solve the problems with immigration, they just want to punish immigrants. Even immigrants who put their lives on the line for a country they don't live in. I mean...how callous is something like this? Why would ANYONE believe anything an administration like this proposes?

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62677344 ... itizenship

It seems if the wall were to happen, the contractor labor is by far the largest cost.

The largest cost to the country isn't labor for a misguided project. It's the damage we are doing to children and people who travel through danger and hostility to seek sanctuary here. We are punishing people who are just asking us for a chance at a humane existence. This will come back to haunt us.

How many of you with student debt would work a year for no more debt?

Go have a look at how this administration and DeVos have reneged on promises for neutralizing part of the school debt for people who worked in not-for-profit industries and lower-paying school systems to find out that they just don't feel like honoring that promise. I know three people personally who thought they were helping themselves neutralize about $40 - 50,000 in debt by working in those industries who just got a big fat fuck you from this admin.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 pm

"I felt I should be here just in case people wanted to come and negotiate the border security..."

Didn't even really try to entice anyone to come talk border security. Tweeted at Nancy Pelosi and didn't even tag her. It's not as if he doesn't know how Twitter works…

… and what about this?

:whoa:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 am

someone on Twitter pointed out the irony of trying to advocate for a wall with a meme from a show where a wall doesn't work.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:42 am

Trump's not that deep. :idk:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:45 am

or literate
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion