Bill Maher - Religulous

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Bill Maher - Religulous

Postby ohsojayadeva » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:45 am

just saw Religulous last night. it definitely had more than a few laugh out loud moments - the creationist museum, bill & crew getting kicked off the mormon church's property to name just a couple. there were a few really specific things that i thought brought out impressive facts - bill confronting a guy who makes his living acting out the life of jesus on the similarities between the lives of jesus and krishna and horus, etc. his own mother professes that she thinks the reason his father left the church was that they started using birth control. :omg:

by the end of the movie he really turned around from presenting these people and their beliefs and practices in a light that displayed them as what they could be, which is ridiculous, and started to look more like a curmudgeony old man attacking things he didn't agree with and probably ultimately didn't understand. he berates a christian for taking the bible literally, but when an islamic woman says that she takes many passages from the Qur'an in context for the time it was written and tries to reinterpret them for modern life, he shuts her down and says "but that's just not how religious books are read!" it was there that i started to lose my patience.

the entire ending of the movie leaves comedy behind for an outright sermon about how mankind can no longer afford to practice religion, and i really could have done without it. this review really nails it: Nick Schager of Slant Magazine ... compared it to Ben Stein's Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed in that he considered both films to have "[employed] a similar, debilitating brand of smug disingenuousness, feigning interest in discussion while arrogantly and speciously preaching in the very same manner that their subjects are ridiculed for".

ending the movie that way might have been intended as irony... but it definitely wasn't funny.

is it worth seeing? yeah, sure. i was certainly entertained. go in with an open mind, certainly, and be prepared to swallow just as much judgement as you would if you were watching pat robertson.
ohsojayadeva

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Bill Maher - Religulous

Postby htsamurai » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:30 pm

i saw the ben stein flick and really enjoyed it
i wanted to see the bill maher flick but ended up seeing quarantine instead :)
bnet: htsamurai#1534
instagram: lastoneawake

stanimal wrote:Ummm yeah, didn't realize we loved HT that much
htsamurai

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Discussion