The Health, Wellness, weight loss, and fitness thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Health, Wellness, weight loss, and fitness thread

Postby Iommic Pope » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 pm

And here I was trying to work out how to get more lean meat into my diet....
Fuck you, Tabata weight training, you cruel and merciless bitch.
Only one day in.
29 more to go....
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby karmablock » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:16 pm

JTurbide wrote:
karmablock wrote:This is relative to my interest.

Chet or JT what do you use as a meat substitute?

Well there is a lot of vegan ''fake'' sausages, ground beef and burgers even completely vegan pizza, there are also a lot of vegan burger recipes (with chickpeas, lentils and red beans for example). I think the trick is to season it to your liking. I also replace meat with tofu.. You can even cook some tofu scrambled eggs with curry or turmeric, or tofu general tao... both are really tasty, it's all about the seasoning :cool: :thumb:

popvulture wrote:I've found that marinating tofu and then baking it really gives it a lot of flavor. There are obviously a million ways you could do that, but I usually do something like soy sauce, sriracha, toasted sesame oil, maple syrup and maybe some five spice powder. I then bake it at like 375 for 20 to 30 mins, flipping once. I also have found that it helps to cut a block of (firm) tofu into planks and then press it between a couple of cutting boards with paper towels for a little while to pull out some of the water. Makes for a crispier outside when baking or searing.

Also found this method of marinating with nutritional yeast very interesting, plan on trying it:

https://food52.com/recipes/37464-vegan-palak-paneer

I like tempeh as well, but I've yet to figure out how to impart much flavor into it, aside from adding a glaze or sauce afterwards.

Unfortunately, I can't do too much tofu because of a thyroid issue. :(
But thank you for the other suggestions.
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby ChetMagongalo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 am

popvulture wrote:But yep, most store-bought veg burgers and meat substitutes in general are awful for you.

I think most can actually be okay, I would just check the ingredients to make sure there isn't a lot of preservatives, artificial flavorings or anything else weird. I've had some vegan sausages and seitan that were pretty tasty and had mostly whole food ingredients (and not too many)

and yeah karma mostly just tofu, vegan sausages (made from vital wheat gluten) and seitan. I still eat fish prob once or twice a week. you can also get plenty of protein (unless you're trying to build muscle) from eating plant foods that aren't meat substitutes. Nuts, seeds and legumes all have a good amount of protein and fruits, veggies and whole grains have a good amount if you eat them in a high volume.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:47 am

Pretty rad vegan curry recipe seems appropriate here:

Potatoes, Onions, Cilantro, Tomato Paste, Garlic, Crushed Red Pepers, Curry powder, Salt Cumin, Peas, Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil,

add tablespoon of C. Oil
Cook Onions until clear
Peel potatoes, Chop potatoes
Add Garlic. let it cook for a second
Add two cups of coconut milk
add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 Tablespoon of curry powder
2 pinches of salt
2 1/2 tbs of tumeric
Pinch of red pepper + Cayanne for spice
Heat just above a simmer
wait about 20 minutes
Taste + adjust ingredients accordingly (I prefer more Cayanne, tumeric, and red pepper than this, for example)
Add peas after, let cook for ~2 minutes
Serve on a rice base
Add cilantro to plate
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:59 am

Also, tempeh is way better than tofu. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby karmablock » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Pretty rad vegan curry recipe seems appropriate here:

Potatoes, Onions, Cilantro, Tomato Paste, Garlic, Crushed Red Pepers, Curry powder, Salt Cumin, Peas, Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil,

add tablespoon of C. Oil
Cook Onions until clear
Peel potatoes, Chop potatoes
Add Garlic. let it cook for a second
Add two cups of coconut milk
add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 Tablespoon of curry powder
2 pinches of salt
2 1/2 tbs of tumeric
Pinch of red pepper + Cayanne for spice
Heat just above a simmer
wait about 20 minutes
Taste + adjust ingredients accordingly (I prefer more Cayanne, tumeric, and red pepper than this, for example)
Add peas after, let cook for ~2 minutes
Serve on a rice base
Add cilantro to plate

:snax:
Gonna give this a try this week.
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby Jwar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40 am

Vegan

Blah

On the real though. Lots of respect for folks who can do that shit and do it right. IE not just eat pasta lol.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby popvulture » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:54 am

jwar wrote:Vegan

Blah

Haha I feel ya. I don't think I could ever fully give up delicious, delicious animals. Just doing a bit of a reset, being a vegan tourist.

Gotta say—I'm on day four and feeling a bit insane. Scatterbrained to the max.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:10 am

popvulture wrote:

Blah

Haha I feel ya. I don't think I could ever fully give up delicious, delicious animals. Just doing a bit of a reset, being a vegan tourist.

I do that with protein.

I'll take some time away from whey protein and only take vegan to give my body some time to recover from all the bs they put in whey. Like dairy. lol.

Honestly though, I'm starting to think all the research around whey is a bunch of horse shit. I find no difference in recovery or strength gains from vegan to whey.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby neonblack » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:09 pm

It warms my heart to see all you vegan friendly folks in here.

Ok so, I'm 30 and going through a divorce. Soon I will be the dreaded Single Dad On The Prowl. In order to fully commit to the cliche, I need to get in shape so I can hook up with college girls to fill the void in my life.

I've never been in shape before. I've never really given a shit about my fitness before. Never lifted. Never done squats. Any tips on starting out a fitness regimen that I won't get burned out on or hurt myself?

I've seen some stuff about Stronglifts 5x5 and that seems like a pretty good program to start out with. Seems to start out fairly easy and gradually increase intensity every workout.

I wanna go from sad dad bod to DILF. Help me
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 pm

jwar wrote:
popvulture wrote:

Blah

I do that with protein.

I'll take some time away from whey protein and only take vegan to give my body some time to recover from all the bs they put in whey. Like dairy. lol.

Honestly though, I'm starting to think all the research around whey is a bunch of horse shit. I find no difference in recovery or strength gains from vegan to whey.

It really was an easy transition for me, even if I used to eat ALOT of meat and dairy... :idk: I think killing animals to eat something you can replicate without killing them is dumb (not judging or insulting you or anything, just my point of view.) :)
As for the muscle build you can definitely do it with a vegan diet, there's plenty of vegan athletes.

I think every effort to not eat animals should be appreciated. I mean, my parents aren't vegan but they really cutted down the meat, every time they cook burgers they do it vegan, they prefer it now. When we eat together it's all vegan, even restaurants. :)
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:32 pm

neonblack wrote:It warms my heart to see all you vegan friendly folks in here.

Ok so, I'm 30 and going through a divorce. Soon I will be the dreaded Single Dad On The Prowl. In order to fully commit to the cliche, I need to get in shape so I can hook up with college girls to fill the void in my life.

I've never been in shape before. I've never really given a shit about my fitness before. Never lifted. Never done squats. Any tips on starting out a fitness regimen that I won't get burned out on or hurt myself?

I've seen some stuff about Stronglifts 5x5 and that seems like a pretty good program to start out with. Seems to start out fairly easy and gradually increase intensity every workout.

I wanna go from sad dad bod to DILF. Help me

vidret wrote:Alright here goes; This is the DOOM WORKOUT thread in which I'll be discussing/posting/subjectively saying what's best. I'll be updating it as things go on.

THIS WORKOUT CONTAINS 6 CORE EXERCISES - DONT GET OVERWHELMED BY WALL OF TEXT
SCROLL DOWN FOR EXERCISES AND WORKOUT SCHEDULE

Reads one should have a look at

"Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe (http://startingstrength.com/)
"Strength Training Anatomy "by Frederic Delavier
"Burn the fat..." by Tom Venuto (some scientific arguments might have changed since then, I heard something of an updated version coming out)
"Convict Conditioning" by Paul Wade (body weight programs)

Articles/Websites:

http://stronglifts.com/ - Similar to Starting Strength in layout
http://startingstrength.com/

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth- ... uscle.html Alcohol

In fact just check out most of the stuff on the leangains site, I won't cover intermittent fasting though.

Setting a goal:

What do you want? Do you want to get beefy? Strong? Thin? Lean? Toned? Fuck toned and toning, drop those words from your vocab, I had to find them again just to tell you what to drop.
Most of what happens when it comes to goals and size will depend on what and how you eat, a person could be doing the same schedule as everyoneelse and find themselves becoming more lean or
bigger than all the others doing the same thing.

I will flesh this out during the weekend, until then V

How Calories Work

I'm gonna go slightly scientific so I don't have to repeat myself or explain a whole lot more later, I'll just refer here instead.

Calories are energy, what we call calories are actually kilo-calories (kilo = 1000), on the products you'll find it often says "kcal" - now you know!
We waste energy every day by simply being alive, staying warm and moving around so we need an APPROPRIATE amount of energy from food to make sure we don't turn crackwhore skinny.

I'm giving you a daily calorie expenditure (BMR) of 1600 kcal, now I tell you to workout and take the stairs instead of the elevator so your total goes to around 2000 kcal.
I won't be taking into account the energy needed for the breakdown of food, which for protein can go up to 20-30% of the calories IN the food. We'll just consider that a bonus-burner for now.

So you're now at 2000 kcal. To stay exactly the way you are while gaining strength and (probably) zig-zagging a bit with muscle gain and fat loss you want to eat just about the same - 2000 kcal.
Let's do some math. Math is fun. 2000 - 2000 = 0
Eat 2300 a day = 2300 - 2000 = 300 kcal above per day - +2100 kcal gain per week
Eat 1800 a day = 1800 - 2000 = -200 kcal below per day - 1400 kcal loss per week (one pound of fat is accepted to be 3500 kcal)

If you don't give a shit about body composition (but baby, you should) this would be eat. Pure math and physics, eat less become less.

I'll be using grams from now on. 1000 grams = 1 kilogram. 1 lbs = 450 grams etc etc

The labels on food will probably have "Per 100 gram" on them, so the measurement becomes a percentage basically.
The problem with this is that it doesn't matter if something has "1,5% fat only!" and here's why, but first I'll give you the numbers for yourself to calculate anything you want.

1 g fat = 9 kcal
1 g protein = 4 kcal
1 g carbohydrates = 4 kcal
1 g alcohol = 7 kcal

So let's have a look at milk, I don't even have to look at that shit I'm gonna drop it like it's hot cause i know it by heart:

Milk 1,5% fat, Per 100g:

Total kcal: 45 kcal
Fat: 1,5 GRAM
Protein 3,5 GRAM
Carbs 4,9 GRAM

So somebody might look at that, say "hey, 1,5% fat and 45 kcals? that's 45 x 0,015 = 0.675 kcals fat? not even ONE KCAL FAT!"
That's not how it works though.

It's 1,5 grams of fat giving you 1,5 x 9 = 13,5 kcal fat PER 45 KCAL.

13,5 / 45 = 0.3

If you didn't follow me here's what that means: There's 30% FAT of the total energy in 1,5% fat milk. now imagine how much fat and carbs there is, percentage wise, in everything else.

Don't be too afraid though because percentages have to add up to 100%, this is just an example of the food industry makes it harder than it has to be to know what's what.
If I had a glass of water and poured some olive oil into it that'd turn into 99% fat of the kcals IN THAT GLASS, not 99% of the weight.

make the distinction, use the numbers i gave you up there to calculate what's in some of your favorite snacks and maybe you'll realize what you're eating is godsend or absolute shit for your body.

The same calculation for carbs and protein for milk also gives that (3,5 x 4 = 14 | 14/45 =) 31% protein and 43,5% carbs! Which is really good, balanced nutritional values for someone who works out.

What to eat

The easiest thing I can give you is to tell you this: Always base your meals around PROTEIN and FAT OR PROTEIN and CARBS. NEVER around carbs and fat.
You really should learn to know what contains protein, fat and carbs to make your life easy. It's not calorie-counting, it's knowing what you stuff yourself with.

I'll tell you later why, if you want to know now scroll down to "why". Now's the what.

Fish
Chicken
Meat
Eggs
Milk
Cottage cheese
Cheese
Vegetables

Wanna add weight? add more carbs, such as:

Rice
Potatoes
Milk
Milk

If you feel the need to count I'd say to start from a 30/30/40 where protein is 40% of your calorie intake and it's hard to go wrong. Trade fat for carbs or vice versa so you end up with either version of 20/40/40 or 40/20/40.
There are other points of views, this is what I feel safe in saying to people I have never met in real life or talked extensively to.

WHY
Why protein with everything and never fat and carbs together?
Because insuline. Dumbed down version incoming.

When your sugar is spiked by (mainly) the carbs in your food your insuline comes on to lower it. If that doesn't happen you have diabetes (type-2 iirc).
When your insuline gets spiked you store what's coming in (with the basic intent of storing the carbs to lower the sugar in your blood).

Insuline paired with carbs = good - lowers blood sugar and you store those carbs to use them for another gym session
Insuline paired with protein = good - stores protein and helps you recover from that last gym session
Insuline paired with fat = bad - stores fat. fatty fat fat.

Therefore protein and fat doesn't spike insuline = good idea
Protein and carbs spike insuline but that's basically what we want (especielly after a gym session = good idea
Fat and carbs spike insuline and store fat = generally bad idea. you don't even want to bulk this way.

WHAT ABOUT ALCOHOL?

Alcohol does for everything you eat the same as insuline does for fat. Alcohol is a poison and is treated as such, and meanwhile your body is taking care of that poison you put in yourself your body is basically storing everything you eat, just as insuline did with fat. so everything is a bad idea paired with alcohol.

Protein is slightly harder to store as fat so if you want to eat anything while drinking it's protein.
Protein can turn be used, turned into energy (carbs basically) or be stored as fat
Carbs can be used as energy or be stored as fat
Fat can be used as energy or stored as.. fat.

Therefore protein has to go: protein>carbs>fat before being stored and takes a slight amount of energy to do so before it is stored, as well as having the initially lower calorie density compared to fat.

I*M BROKEEEEEEN!!!!

Well pantera in that case you should go have that shit checked out if it has to do with any of the movements I'm going to go through, and since I'll be having you rotate, flex and extend basically every joint you have in some way - you want to go check that out. In most cases you'd want to start by going to someone who knows proper physiotherapy because going to a chiropractor will result in that person wanting to solve all your problems by snap, crackle and pop - and that MAY be what you need but you'd be better off finding out if that IS what you need beforehand.

The movements

I want to start off by saying that your body has several movements that I'll be dumbing down quite a bit so as to not make this something you have to read while looking at an anatomy chart.
Your body can push and your body can pull. If your arms PUSH that means you'll be engaging the triceps muscles (the back of your arms) to extend your arm/s. When your arms PULL you'll be engaging the biceps muscles (The CIA got you pushing too many pencils?) to flex your arm/s.

Same thing with your legs - you can translate how your arms work to how your legs work. Think of the shoulders as the butt, the biceps as the hamstrings (back of leg) and triceps as quadriceps (front of leg).
A pulling motion with your legs won't be your toes gripping something and you pulling with your hamstrings, but I'll call a motion where the hamstring does the work a pulling motion whereas pressing with your legs (extension) activates your quads (front leg).

Then you have your shoulders. If standing straight up with your arms outwards to your sides while keeping them straight you can do 3 basic movements with your shoulders. The shoulders are what's above your arms, not what's around your neck. You can lift your arms straight up in front of you (zombie stance) - that is the front of your shoulder. You can lift your arms outward to your sides (bird stance), that's the middle part of the shoulder. You can lift your arms backwards (running japanese ninja style), that's the back of your shoulders.

The hip does somewhat the same for the legs as the shoulders do for the arms.

Your BACK will be assisting you in PULLING motions in synergy with your biceps, your back has the job of pulling your shoulderblades together, up AND down depending on what muscle/part of muscle activates - it's also responsible for keeping you upright and pulling your elbows DOWN.

Your TITS will be assisting you in PRESSING motions in FRONT of you (horizontal motion) with assistance of the TRICEPS, further down you have that gut - that gut assists in stabilizing you in your movements and allows you to contract to achieve a crunching motion.

The Angles

Now you know in a very basic sense how your body works I'm going to tell you what your body should be able to do (and what you're going to do when you work out).

You want to:

Press UPWARDS with your upper body
Press FORWARDS with your upper body
Pull FROM ABOVE with your upper body
Pull FROM IN FRONT OF YOU with your upper body
Press DOWN with your feet
Press DOWN while activating the posterior chain of your body, hence me calling this a pulling motion. the deadlift.

Now the angles we don't have in here would be focusing on a single joint, such as raising your arms straight up in front of you (zombie stance), which is why I won't cover them. We want movements that incorporate several joints.

Those are 6 exercises You'll have to do. Unless you need rehab or you've outgrown them (you don't outgrow them) these are BASICALLY IT.

The Exercises

I will mostly be talking about barbells, most of the movements can be done with dumbbells as well. I will do so because I will be citing Mark Rippetoe a lot who has written a great book (Starting Strength) about some of these exercises where he talks about nothing but barbells. I'll be putting these in the same order as above:

Shoulder press
Bench press/Pushup
Pullup/Chin-up/Pull-down
Row
Squat
Deadlift

SHOULDER PRESS:

A vertical pushing motion preferrably done standing up to give you core strength while you're at it.

Barbell (Mark Rippetoe)

Dumbbell (Scottfagherman)

I'm not a huge fan of Scott, mostly because he ain't wearing a t-shirt, but since he's saying just about what I would say except i'd keep my clothes on i'm gonna let it slide and you're gonna have to live with it. I'm sorry.
The Dumbbell motion is far easier because of the bar traveling along a path that means it WILL hit your chin if you want to go straight up. If you don't go straight up you put yourself in a position unable to lift the weight with as much force, so there's some technique to it, along with the form of just standing correctly with the barbell and the grip.

If you do decide on the barbell please read the chapter in the starting strength book.

BENCH PRESS/PUSHUP

Bench press by Mr Tate

Thank you Dave Tate, I will be talking about the bench press with a barbell no more.

DB bench:
Yes it's him again. scothtemrnafitness.

now the PUSHUP is exciting. See, what the bench press forces you to do with a barbell is to pinch your shoulder blades together (keeping your back tight) as well as pinning you against a flat surface.
The pushup is a movement that should be done with SCAPULAR PROTRACTION at the end of it, the end of it being at the top of the movement and scapular protraction meaning you should push your shoulders and arms forward even though your arms are extended (NOT pinching your shoulder blades together). This makes for a stable shoulder girdle if done correctly that will translate to strength and movement in everything else you decide to take upon yourself.
It's also a great core and ab exercise because of forcing you to hold a plank while moving up and down. here we go:

At the top of the motion I implore you to push your shoulder blades outwards moreso than he does to emphasize the serratus anterior movement. google it if you want.

Like this: Image
Left = WRONG
Right = right.

tbc i don't wanna lose this.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Holy shit. Thank you!

Now for the hard part. Motivation.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Whoa, that Vidret routine is intense. Will read.

And top off with chocolate soymilk.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:47 pm

neonblack wrote:Holy shit. Thank you!

Now for the hard part. Motivation.

Also if you don't necessarily want huge muscles but just want to get rip and ''in shape'' with a good cardio and flexibility, you could try martial arts.
I've done some kickboxing, jiu-jitsu, mixed martial arts in general, and I can tell you it's really fun and intense. You can workout a little on the side to have muscles but martial arts will give you great cardio and endurance, and it's way more fun than just lifting weights... Also, you don't need to compete and get your head fucked to have fun and get in shape :thumb:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion