What are you reading?



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:08 am

Picked up "Devil in the white city".. pretty rad. Eating it up so far
BetterOffShred

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3334
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby dubkitty » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 am

JereFuzz wrote:
dubkitty wrote:haven't been reading shit lately other than Twitter and the You Must Get Them All blog which is sequentially reviewing the Fall discography, but i ordered Homage to Catalonia and The Society of the Spectacle for reading while i'm on vacation. at this point i can't really get into anything that lacks timely socio-political content.

SOS is sitting on my table, ready to be read. Seems hard/strange at first glance. Much thinking will be required. The Simulacra and Simulations by Baudrillard was great but deserves another read.


oh, yeah. it's easy to read linguistically--at least compared to the typical translations of Situationist works--but every page and a half i have to stop and assimilate what i just read. by far the most trenchant political work i've ever encountered.
"i know i believe in nothing but it is my nothing"--Richey Edwards, 1994

"i want to walk in the snow
and not leave a footprint
i want to walk in the snow
and not soil its purity"--Richey Edwards, 1994

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

SCARING THE CHILDREN SINCE 1970
dubkitty

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11308
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: in the queue for Andy Gill's memorial, or for the death camps

Re: What are you reading?

Postby JereFuzz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:45 pm

dubkitty wrote:
JereFuzz wrote:
dubkitty wrote:haven't been reading shit lately other than Twitter and the You Must Get Them All blog which is sequentially reviewing the Fall discography, but i ordered Homage to Catalonia and The Society of the Spectacle for reading while i'm on vacation. at this point i can't really get into anything that lacks timely socio-political content.

SOS is sitting on my table, ready to be read. Seems hard/strange at first glance. Much thinking will be required. The Simulacra and Simulations by Baudrillard was great but deserves another read.


oh, yeah. it's easy to read linguistically--at least compared to the typical translations of Situationist works--but every page and a half i have to stop and assimilate what i just read. by far the most trenchant political work i've ever encountered.


I think this work could have been inspired by The Image by Boorstin, which I haven’t read. But I have it on my list. Boorstin was the one who noted the concept of pseudo-events I believe. The book was written in ‘61.
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:59 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby fcknoise » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:16 pm

A few weeks ago I finished Mutual Aid by Pyotr Kropotkin and it was one of the coziest reads in a long time. Only book about politics that kan make you feel alright I reckon
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

DRodriguez wrote:All pedalboards are beer themed if you gig enough.


Soundcloud for shitty beats: http://www.soundcloud.com/fcknoise
Soundcloud for noises/drones: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp8cSA ... BCtQ8M56hg
fcknoise

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:01 pm
Location: leave me alone

Re: What are you reading?

Postby dubkitty » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:37 pm

I quite enjoyed Devil In The White City, but like a number of commenters i found myself wishing that the whole book was about the World's Fair. it especially intrigues me because i grew up in Chicago and there's barely a trace of it today other than the Museum Of Science And Industry.
"i know i believe in nothing but it is my nothing"--Richey Edwards, 1994

"i want to walk in the snow
and not leave a footprint
i want to walk in the snow
and not soil its purity"--Richey Edwards, 1994

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

SCARING THE CHILDREN SINCE 1970
dubkitty

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11308
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: in the queue for Andy Gill's memorial, or for the death camps

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Jwar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:05 pm

I've been reading Kochland for the past two weeks. It's fascinating and insane at the same time. Charles Koch may be viewed as a monster but some of the stuff this guy accomplished is so impressive I can't stop reading. How he beat out the Union when that was almost impossible. How he has fought the Federal Government numerous times and beat them. How he took a company from his father and took it from profitable to more profitable than anyone's dreams. He is the 7th richest man on the planet. Worth 50.5 billion I believe. That's crazy. I want to know what happened in this. It's something you can read about but this is a compiled version. It's a great read.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

User avatar
Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF
 
Posts: 18006
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: The edge of existence

Re: What are you reading?

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:26 pm

Jwar wrote:I've been reading Kochland for the past two weeks. It's fascinating and insane at the same time. Charles Koch may be viewed as a monster but some of the stuff this guy accomplished is so impressive I can't stop reading. How he beat out the Union when that was almost impossible. How he has fought the Federal Government numerous times and beat them. How he took a company from his father and took it from profitable to more profitable than anyone's dreams. He is the 7th richest man on the planet. Worth 50.5 billion I believe. That's crazy. I want to know what happened in this. It's something you can read about but this is a compiled version. It's a great read.


I'm starting to dip into Dark Money which covers the Kochs heavily. Apparently, daddy Koch got rich building refineries for Stalin. He was so horrified by the Totalitarian Stalinist system that he swore to prevent such a system from coming the USA. Got a call from Hitler. Started building refineries for them.
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:59 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:26 pm

JereFuzz wrote:
Jwar wrote:I've been reading Kochland for the past two weeks. It's fascinating and insane at the same time. Charles Koch may be viewed as a monster but some of the stuff this guy accomplished is so impressive I can't stop reading. How he beat out the Union when that was almost impossible. How he has fought the Federal Government numerous times and beat them. How he took a company from his father and took it from profitable to more profitable than anyone's dreams. He is the 7th richest man on the planet. Worth 50.5 billion I believe. That's crazy. I want to know what happened in this. It's something you can read about but this is a compiled version. It's a great read.


I'm starting to dip into Dark Money which covers the Kochs heavily. Apparently, daddy Koch got rich building refineries for Stalin. He was so horrified by the Totalitarian Stalinist system that he swore to prevent such a system from coming the USA. Got a call from Hitler. Started building refineries for them.


Well, at least that what the author alleges. Who knows.
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:59 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Seance » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:52 pm

I'm reading How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan.

Image
Seance

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Faldoe » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:15 pm

Seance wrote:I'm reading How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan.

Image


Yeah this is a great book.
Faldoe

 

Re: What are you reading?

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:07 pm

That sounds interesting.
some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck


I make music sometimes:

https://facebook.com/mediocrisyband/
https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 10363
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Seance » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:45 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:That sounds interesting.

It is. Fills out some of the parts of the story that often get overlooked and
connects some of the clinical research that went on in the 1950s-1966 period
with some of the clinical research going on today.

The Omnivore's Dilemma is also worth reading.
Image
Seance

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Faldoe » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Reading this. Very good.

Image
Faldoe

 

Re: What are you reading?

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Wow... great stuff on this page. My brother got me the Cigar Box / Junk Guitars DIY project book for Christmas. Looking forward to diving into that.
It's not FUN. It's literally my ideal aesthetic. I just love shitty shit.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
$harkToootth

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 3:28 pm
Location: Astral Tetrahedron, Astral Dodecahedron, Astral Icosahedron, And Astral Penrose triangle

Re: What are you reading?

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:48 am

Seance wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:That sounds interesting.

It is. Fills out some of the parts of the story that often get overlooked and
connects some of the clinical research that went on in the 1950s-1966 period
with some of the clinical research going on today.

The Omnivore's Dilemma is also worth reading.
Image

Cool! I've read some of Michael Pollan's articles and watched a TV program and enjoyed them, so I will definitely keep an eye out for that psychedelics book, it's a fascinating subject
some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck


I make music sometimes:

https://facebook.com/mediocrisyband/
https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 10363
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 01010111 and 7 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.