some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck

I make music sometimes:

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dapper Bandit » Tue May 14, 2019 5:27 am

Will also hope to check that out in future, onto the want to read list it goes.

Just finished Mary and the Giant by Philip K. Dick, another one of his non-genre fiction works that has been published post-humously. It's a shame this stuff wasn't put out during his lifetime as it would have moved him towards being regarded as a great writer rather than just a great science fiction writer. While his main output borrowed the tropes and imagery of science fiction his writing was overwhelmingly concerned with the human condition but everyone got caught up on C-Beams glittering in the dark and they missed the tears in the rain.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue May 14, 2019 2:56 pm

I must say I've never read any of his non sf stuff yet. And I must fix that!

He's definitely one of the great SF authors who suffered from the bad rap SF gets. Just because there are spaceships doesn't mean there's no meaningful examination of the human condition.
some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck

I make music sometimes:

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JereFuzz » Tue May 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Wrapping up "Between Debt and the Devil" by Adair Turner. It was published in 2016 and is another "crash of 2008 and its consequences" book. Nevertheless, it's a good one and it argues that credit expansion was good when it was used for capital investments that had a rate of return greater than the cost of interest and added significant efficiencies to an economy. But the financial/credit system expanded rapidly and now credit is used primarily for non-productive consumer spending (housing/toys/etc.). After the 2008 collapse, the economy is now hung over with debt overhang. Lowering consumer spending to pay down debt leaves a "hole" in the economy. This is filled with government spending. Hence, private (mortgage) debt that sunk the economy in 2008 has been transferred to the public sector. What's not clear is what to do next. The debt/GDP ratio was 62% in 2007. Today it is 108%. Consumer debt/GDP fell in the years following the 2008 collapse but it is now going up again. Anyway, interesting stuff.
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Discussion