What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dapper Bandit » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:04 am

$harkToootth wrote:Anyone have a fantasy/science fiction series that it seems "only you" love? Looking for something off the cuff and involving as I need to stop watching so much goddamn Howard Stern on E! circa 2001 - 2009.

If you're looking for off the cuff I would have to point you at Iain M. Banks' Culture series (set in a universe but the novels are all standalone). More involving would be the Hyperion/Endymion cycle by Dan Simmons. If you can pick it up cheap the Starfarers series by Vonda N. McIntyre was alright. Kinda Star Trek-y.

bacegchsbis wrote:Just starting to check out the Mingus autobiography!

Read this and follow it up with Miles Davis' autobiography. Come to the conclusion that the best jazz artists must have been total bastards to actually play with. Listen to their records anyway.

PeteeBee wrote:I just picked up Invisible Man because i embarrassingly didn’t realize that is a book, let alone such a famous one.

Is that the Ralph Ellison novel or the H.G Wells novel?

Not long finished Stoner by John Williams, currently working on Butcher's Crossing. The fact that he isn't better known is a real shame.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 am

Chipping away at Neil de Grasse Tyson’s Astrophysics for People in a Hurry.
Delightful.
And I read it in his voice.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:23 am

I assume it was Ellison. Wells is ‘The Invisible Man.’ Both pretty dope, though.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am

@dapper bandit - Thank you for the reply! That was a contender around the time I was looking...I wound up cracking open my old philosophy books instead.

Sort of related to reading...I finally watched this last night. Having read a significant amount of Wallace and having read the source material (Lipsky's book)...I liked it enough I guess? The two lead actors are always a pleasure. Kind of reminded me of THE QUEEN in that, I thought, "Did this really need a theatrical release? Seems more like a made for TV movie." Sort of irrelevant though, as most people (I include myself) stream anyway. I just re-read some of INFINITE JEST and this movie kind of helps drive in some of the key ideas from that novel. Which lead me to thinking about pedal demos 'as a source of entertainment'. I consume a great amount of these videos and at the end of the day, it's entertainment coming indirectly from companies that just want my money. So you have a phenomenon of people working for "free" to create "ads" for companies that just want money. I'm thinking out loud here so I reserve the right to get smarter :lol:. In any case, the influx of 'pedal demoers' or 'demoers' in general is a strange phenomenon (although, I am fully aware most of us were into stomp boxes well before youtube was a thing).
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby weebles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Currently readin Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. And l, just, jeez it’s frustrating and makes me sad.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby Bassist_Diver » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:29 pm

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:39 am

Invisible Man wrote:I assume it was Ellison. Wells is ‘The Invisible Man.’ Both pretty dope, though.

Yeah the one by Ellison
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Lurker13 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Dapper Bandit wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:Anyone have a fantasy/science fiction series that it seems "only you" love? Looking for something off the cuff and involving as I need to stop watching so much goddamn Howard Stern on E! circa 2001 - 2009.

If you're looking for off the cuff I would have to point you at Iain M. Banks' Culture series (set in a universe but the novels are all standalone).

I'll definitely second Ian M. Banks' Culture stories. He did a great job of imagining the distant future. Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, and Excession are all great reads.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:57 am

On my phone so picture might be weird :)

It's a great read so far
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dozicusmaximus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:05 am

$harkToootth wrote:What I'm reading:
How I'm feeling about it:

I'd like to read some of his stuff. But I think I need to start with some of the basics first. I've been wanting to get into philosophy for a good while now.

Just started

There is some really good shit in here and I'm only 50 pages in.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 pm

dozicusmaximus wrote:I'd like to read some of his stuff. But I think I need to start with some of the basics first. I've been wanting to get into philosophy for a good while now.

Just started

There is some really good shit in here and I'm only 50 pages in.

I don't think you do. The first 40 pages of the book I posted is actually for people who may not have the done the groundwork. It's a really good introduction for 'the problems in German Metaphysics' during that period. Most of Schopenhauer's aphorisms, like Nietzsche's, can be read on their own accord. No pre-requisites.

Some philosophy does require a lot of the ground work done beforehand, namely 'ethics', 'moral philosophy' and 'political philosophy' and that is because a vast majority (read, NOT ALL) of thought comes from a few source texts (for example, any current political philosophy has a high likelihood of referencing Locke, Hobbes, Hume, Rawls, Mill, and Nozick [among others]).

I do happen to like Ancient Greek Philosophy (part of the groundwork so to speak) though because...it's fairly simple and...I can understand it. That said, I have always appreciated more 'abstract' thought like Deleuze, Foucault, Guattari, and Deridda (that said to that said, I don't 'get it' 100% of the time. 80% would be generous tbh).

That book you posted looks rad.

All coming from someone who derives a lot of moral instructions and critical thinking from 'Tough Crowd With Colin Quinn' so don't listen to me ever.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dozicusmaximus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:47 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I don't think you do. The first 40 pages of the book I posted is actually for people who may not have the done the groundwork. It's a really good introduction for 'the problems in German Metaphysics' during that period. Most of Schopenhauer's aphorisms, like Nietzsche's, can be read on their own accord. No pre-requisites.

Some philosophy does require a lot of the ground work done beforehand, namely 'ethics', 'moral philosophy' and 'political philosophy' and that is because a vast majority (read, NOT ALL) of thought comes from a few source texts (for example, any current political philosophy has a high likelihood of referencing Locke, Hobbes, Hume, Rawls, Mill, and Nozick [among others]).

I do happen to like Ancient Greek Philosophy (part of the groundwork so to speak) though because...it's fairly simple and...I can understand it. That said, I have always appreciated more 'abstract' thought like Deleuze, Foucault, Guattari, and Deridda (that said to that said, I don't 'get it' 100% of the time. 80% would be generous tbh).

That book you posted looks rad.

All coming from someone who derives a lot of moral instructions and critical thinking from 'Tough Crowd With Colin Quinn' so don't listen to me ever.

Cool. I appreciate the encouragement. I have realized I should figure out which area I would like to focus on. But I do have some Plato and stuff just sitting here waiting to be read.

I recently came across Deleuze and added some stuff to my Amazon list.

It's an interesting book that you don't really need to blow through like a novel.

Anything that makes me do this when reading makes me happy.

dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby chuckjaywalk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Our Noise: The Story of Merge Records Book

I'm sort of obsessed with Superchunk. I had no idea this book existed and I found it for cheap. Pretty stoked to read it.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 am

Taking a very lateral move...I think I HAVE TO read the new Doug Stanhope book.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:32 am

fcknoise wrote:Image

On my phone so picture might be weird :)

It's a great read so far

I read this whole book on my phone haha. I too really enjoyed it. Homage and Keep the Aspidistra Flying are my two favorite Orwell’s.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion