What are you reading?



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dapper Bandit » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:30 am

Just finished
Image

Might try and get a hold of the whole text rather than this taster as it was a thrilling read, unreliable narrator (and I mean really unreliable) and all.



I've got what must be nearly the complete Neal Stephenson collection on the bookshelf at home. Started Diamond Age and found it to be too dense for me at that point in time so had to shelve it until I feel up to it. This has kind of rekindled the interest, he may be my next pick but I have so many books to get through it's scary.



Other recent finishes:

Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi; Solid sci fi adventure. Some really hard SF elements but not at the expense of pacing. Kind of reminded me of Bank's Culture series in tone, if not content. Or maybe more like Charles Stross but with better characterisation.

Exodus by God, I suppose; Absolutely mental but overall 3/10 story. The bit about the frogs and what have you was cool but that Angel of Death seemed a little much. Talk about escalation, amiright? Last half of the tale falls flat for me as it's just instructions on how to build tabernacles, prepare bread, make robes and stuff. Shopping lists are not a riveting read.

Butcher's Crossing by John Williams; Really, really excellent. I assume Cormac McCarthy was inspired by this because they both have a very similar feel. A must read.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Bloodhammer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:18 pm

Dapper Bandit wrote:Just finished
Image

Might try and get a hold of the whole text rather than this taster as it was a thrilling read, unreliable narrator (and I mean really unreliable) and all.



I've got what must be nearly the complete Neal Stephenson collection on the bookshelf at home. Started Diamond Age and found it to be too dense for me at that point in time so had to shelve it until I feel up to it. This has kind of rekindled the interest, he may be my next pick but I have so many books to get through it's scary.



Other recent finishes:

Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi; Solid sci fi adventure. Some really hard SF elements but not at the expense of pacing. Kind of reminded me of Bank's Culture series in tone, if not content. Or maybe more like Charles Stross but with better characterisation.

Exodus by God, I suppose; Absolutely mental but overall 3/10 story. The bit about the frogs and what have you was cool but that Angel of Death seemed a little much. Talk about escalation, amiright? Last half of the tale falls flat for me as it's just instructions on how to build tabernacles, prepare bread, make robes and stuff. Shopping lists are not a riveting read.

Butcher's Crossing by John Williams; Really, really excellent. I assume Cormac McCarthy was inspired by this because they both have a very similar feel. A must read.


You should check out the rest of Rajaniemi's Jean le Flambeur trilogy. The Quantum Thief is only the first.
Bloodhammer

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:36 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Re: What are you reading?

Postby weebles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Just added Butchers Crossing to my list! Had never heard of it till today.
weebles

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:32 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dapper Bandit » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Bloodhammer wrote:You should check out the rest of Rajaniemi's Jean le Flambeur trilogy. The Quantum Thief is only the first.


They're definitely on the list, there was Quantum Prince and another one, right? Does the trilogy hold up all the way through? I thought there were some really interesting ideas being brought to the table and it would be a real shame if they weren't done justice.

Weebles, it appears Williams was a kind of cult author but if you have enjoyed McCarthy's work I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to you! Plus the cover has a lovely painting of a buffalo on it, what's not to like?
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby weebles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 pm

McCarthy is one of my favorite authors and I’m a sucker for westerns. So this looks like a good fit.
weebles

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:32 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Bloodhammer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Dapper Bandit wrote:
Bloodhammer wrote:You should check out the rest of Rajaniemi's Jean le Flambeur trilogy. The Quantum Thief is only the first.


They're definitely on the list, there was Quantum Prince and another one, right? Does the trilogy hold up all the way through? I thought there were some really interesting ideas being brought to the table and it would be a real shame if they weren't done justice.


The Fractal Prince and The Causal Angel.

I think they hold up excellently. The Quantum Thief gets you started and introduces you to some of the main characters, but the other two flesh out much deeper layers to them and fill you in on a lot more of the history of the post-human solar system. All three have a sort of detective story quality in that some secret has to be discovered and utilized for success/survival and the second book (TFP) even becomes, in part, a kind of fairy tale in the vein of The One Thousand And One Nights. Some people like that and some don't (lots of framing), but it moves on from that in the third (TCA), which is probably the best in the series.
Bloodhammer

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:36 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Re: What are you reading?

Postby TraceItalian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:09 am

weebles wrote:McCarthy is one of my favorite authors and I’m a sucker for westerns. So this looks like a good fit.


If you like McCarthy (sorry, no westerns to recommend), you might try Harry Crews (a weird, warped version of McCarthy that matches McCarthy's violence and disturbing content with a very strange sense of humor [if a female body building championship as a commentary on the shame of being rural with violence thrown in doesn't convince you, how about a book about a junkyard family getting successful because their pariah, get-rich-quick son decides to eat a car?] just look at this fucker Image)

Jim Harrison (who has McCarthy's contemplative thoughts and observations of surroundings while keeping immediate action in a passive voice dialed up to 11 [highly recommend starting with the Brown Dog collection])Image,

and the always destructive, "Bastard out of Carolina" by Dorthy Allison. I can't even go into it, but it's one of those books you'll read too quickly once and never be able to pick up again. Image
TraceItalian

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 11:58 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby odontophobia » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:25 am

Met Harrison a number of years ago in undergrad, never got around to reading his work though.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 5197
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 pm
Location: grand rapids

Re: What are you reading?

Postby TraceItalian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:43 am

odontophobia wrote:Met Harrison a number of years ago in undergrad, never got around to reading his work though.


I have a lot of beef with him, over a variety of things, but I do think overall he is a great writer worth reading.
TraceItalian

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 11:58 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dapper Bandit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:41 am

TraceItalian wrote:
If you like McCarthy (sorry, no westerns to recommend), you might try
Harry Crews
Jim Harrison
Dorthy Allison.


Never heard of these folks before but you've just sold them all to me! Will check out at my local library at some point but they've all made the list.

Bloodhammer wrote:I think they hold up excellently. The Quantum Thief gets you started and introduces you to some of the main characters, but the other two flesh out much deeper layers to them and fill you in on a lot more of the history of the post-human solar system. All three have a sort of detective story quality in that some secret has to be discovered and utilized for success/survival and the second book (TFP) even becomes, in part, a kind of fairy tale in the vein of The One Thousand And One Nights. Some people like that and some don't (lots of framing), but it moves on from that in the third (TCA), which is probably the best in the series.


Fractal Prince, that was the one! I totally intend to get to them soon as QT was surprisingly good. I enjoyed the detective/mystery approach as it gave the book a lot of impetus and kept the story chugging along nicely but it appears that quite a lot of people didn't get on with that aspect of it.


My reading has kind of gone to shit in the last few months due to life stuff, which is sad as I'm usually a book-a-week kinda guy but hopefully will be able to get back up to speed and work through some more stuff now.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 pm

These two are next on the list. Hands down my favorite comedian.
Image
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"I was playing guitar a minute ago and had to take a shit...kinda bummned out cuz I was trying to get this super awesome riff down, now I'm just holdin my penis down readin this crap" -comesect2.0
Don't do me ugly...
Oh Lord! The streets took you Blaze! Didn't I tell you!
$harkToootth

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 3:28 pm
Location: Whose hot dog is this huh!? Is it yours?

Re: What are you reading?

Postby comesect2.0 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:38 pm

Image
NSFW: show
Image
LuR SMELT NiTH
comesect2.0

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4341
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:44 pm
Location: TX

Re: What are you reading?

Postby chuckjaywalk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 pm

I have a pile to get through:
33 1/3 Wowee Zowee
Jen Trynin's book
A couple of Chuck Klostermans
Seasons of the Witch
chuckjaywalk

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: What are you reading?

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45 pm

Christmas score in the order that I'll likely read them:
Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman
The Bassoon King - Rainn Wilson
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Some Rain Must Fall - Karl Ove Knausgard (highly recommend this series! I connected with it almost immediately, which I honestly don't know if that's a good thing or not...probably says something about me)

I also got Thing Explainer by Randall Munroe, which is pretty interesting. He explains complicated things using less than 1000 simple words. It's been hilarious so far. I have a greater respect for my work now that I've learned that I work at a heavy metal power building (nuclear reactor)

Also, I finished reading the City and the City awhile back. That was an excellent read! Really, really enjoyed it!
MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 3535
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: What are you reading?

Postby oscillateur » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:40 am

I read Norse Mythology last week I think. I don't know what I expected but it's "just" Norse mythology told in a convenient order/nicely written. Not mind-blowing, and these gods are mostly giant morons but enjoyable.

I just started Authority (Southern Reach trilogy #2) by VanDerMeer and quite like it so far. It's (for now ?) much more straightfoward than the previous one. I really like his books so I'll likely read the third one soon enough.
oscillateur

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:16 am
Location: Tokyo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], univalve and 6 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.