What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby kaeth » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:29 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Where did you find a copy for less than a bazillion dollars?

Someone lent it to me. It's out of print again, but there's a softcover reprint that still sells on eBay for about $30.

comesect2.0 wrote:looks like a good one...ive tried my damndest to purchase wreckers of civilization throbbing gristle story but that shits always like 200 bucks or somthing crazy....boyd rice is a cunt but that larry wessels or whatever his name is made the iconoclast dvd where he goes into a bunch of storys on that type of music its like 4 hrs and pretty fun.

Wasn't aware of these. I'll have to look into them. Thanks!
kaeth

committed
committed

Postby warwick.hoy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:05 pm

10 year old book that is super relevant regarding the times we live in.
behndy wrote:"huh. i'm on acid."

Noiseprov/Pedalcore:
Mecha Shiva on Soundcloud.

WHY DID JOHNNY KILL? on Bandcamp. <--Beer Fund

Good Dealings with: futuresailors, Eric!, Multi_S, hatshirt, leastwise, Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D
warwick.hoy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Currently Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. Can't decide if I'm into it yet.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:08 pm

popvulture wrote:Currently Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. Can't decide if I'm into it yet.

Yeah, that was a weird one. I still have a the next two in my Amazon wishlist so I'll probably get them at some point on the Kindle I guess :idk: ;) .
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:48 pm

Yep, it's a disorienting read, which I get in terms of being a useful device... just not sure I'll say it was an enjoyable experience when it's over. Fortunately it's got me curious enough to find out :) .

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Wittgenstein » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Wife talked me into reading Paradise Lost with her. Rly good, especially when considered in light of TRUMP
This course, a perpetual alternation of determining what is true, and then setting aside this determining, constitutes, strictly speaking, the steady everyday life and activity of perpetual consciousness, a consciousness which fancies itself to be moving in the realm of truth.
Wittgenstein

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:57 pm

Just polished off two Michael Lewis books, Liar's Poker and The Big Short. Both are really good. Liar's Poker is hilarious, and The Big Short explains things at an adult level, unlike the movie, which devolved into vague analogies by celebrities (although I otherwise liked the movie a lot).
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby bloatedsack » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Months ago, I started re-reading all of the Discworld books in order. I said as much in this thread. Two days ago I started "Making Steam," the last of the main books. I've read all of them before, mind you, I've read all the Discworld novels. I wanted to reexperience them all, in order, from start to finish and really dig in.

Except for the Shepard's Crown, which was post-posthumously released. It's the first time in probably 20+ years I didn't preorder a Pratchett book. I didn't even think about it because it made me sad. Sunday night, I downloaded a copy of it and I actually teared up knowing that I was about to take the last new step I'd ever really experience on the Disc, again.

I'm extremely emotional about this, and I dread the moment I have to start, adn then finish, his novels.
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Postby warwick.hoy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:19 am

Shock Doctrine was getting a little too depressing so I moved onto a different kind of depressing.

Noiseprov/Pedalcore:

Good Dealings with: futuresailors, Eric!, Multi_S, hatshirt, leastwise, Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D
warwick.hoy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:05 am

I recently read The Scar by China Mieville (not bad but not his best) and The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi (entertaining). I started 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami a few days ago. I used to read a lot of his novels 10-15 years ago but only read one or two since. I think I'll like this one. Also, it takes place in Tokyo and often in areas I know well and that's always something I somehow appreciate in a book (just like when one character from a book lived in the street I lived in at the time in Paris :) ).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 am

I liked The Scar! It's been quite a long time since I read it though, so I've forgotten a good bit. I still need to get back to Iron Council—for some reason I could never get into that one.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby warwick.hoy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 pm

oscillateur wrote:I recently read The Scar by China Mieville (not bad but not his best) and The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi (entertaining). I started 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami a few days ago. I used to read a lot of his novels 10-15 years ago but only read one or two since. I think I'll like this one. Also, it takes place in Tokyo and often in areas I know well and that's always something I somehow appreciate in a book (just like when one character from a book lived in the street I lived in at the time in Paris :) ).

Murakami is one if my favorites. Windup Bird Chronicles and Norwegian Wood are the ones I've read. I don't think I fully related to either one which begs a reread of both at some point.

Noiseprov/Pedalcore:

warwick.hoy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Mon May 01, 2017 9:42 am

Finally finished This Symbiotic Fascination by Charlee Jacob. I've had that book for like 10 years now and have just got around to reading it. Charlee is an amazing author and she writes the most twisted and fucked up shit I'v read. That was 400 pages of insanity at it's best. :)

Going to move onto a new book. We Eat Our Own is on my new list, so I think that's what I'll start diving into tonight.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby chuckjaywalk » Mon May 01, 2017 10:14 am

Conjuring by James Randi. A history of prestidigitation and legerdemain. I love stage magic to a terrifying degree, so this is a book I have wanted to read for a long time.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Achtane » Tue May 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Incoming:
Pan by Knut Hamsun
Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip Thorne
Pygmy by Chuck Palhhnnnehlleh
Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion