What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby bloatedsack » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:14 pm

samzadgan wrote:
Iommic Pope wrote:Yeah, they are excellent b9oks for making young readers enthusiastic about reading, but the idea that adults love them is loathesome.

there's a guy at work whom i really dislike...he thinks harry potter books and movies are some of the best ever written/made...he's 28...and he's favourite playlist on spotify is one called Happy Pop. I guess that gives an insight as to who these "adults" are...

To be fair to him, and some others, he was what... 8 or so when it came out, right? 20 years? That's about right to sink and "grow" with them, I can almost understand a certain childlike love about them. Those people are wrong, they're cute reads but even in the pantheon if young literature, they're not even as good as things like Beverely Cleary books with remained "kids" books for the whole run.
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:31 am

Yeah I'm also 28 and Harry and the gang was my exact age as each book came out. Like he was supposed to be 8 when I was 8, 9 in the next book and so on. I wasn't into it as a youth but enjoy the movies now that I have kids and watch them with my wife who loves them.

Anyone have a favorite books by Chester Himes? I went to go get something of his from the library today but couldn't make it downtown.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:16 am

samzadgan wrote:
Iommic Pope wrote:Yeah, they are excellent b9oks for making young readers enthusiastic about reading, but the idea that adults love them is loathesome.

there's a guy at work whom i really dislike...he thinks harry potter books and movies are some of the best ever written/made...he's 28...and he's favourite playlist on spotify is one called Happy Pop. I guess that gives an insight as to who these "adults" are...

You know what to do:

bloatedsack wrote:
To be fair to him, and some others, he was what... 8 or so when it came out, right? 20 years? That's about right to sink and "grow" with them, I can almost understand a certain childlike love about them. Those people are wrong, they're cute reads but even in the pantheon if young literature, they're not even as good as things like Beverely Cleary books with remained "kids" books for the whole run.

Yeah i get that.
I still love Alice in Wonderland but, I hold it in regard as a work for children.
Hippies be damned.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Just finished Use of Weapons, absolutely LOOOOOVED it.

It makes me sad that Banks died fairly young because I know one day I will have finished all his books forever, and that's a shame.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:08 pm

I'm in the middle of reading Chris Hadfield's Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth. It's pretty decent; holy shit does that man have crazy amounts of ambition.

Next up are Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The City & the City. Oh and I bought the first Dune as well

Also, this textbook:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Dapper Bandit » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:30 am

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Just finished Use of Weapons, absolutely LOOOOOVED it.

It makes me sad that Banks died fairly young because I know one day I will have finished all his books forever, and that's a shame.

One of my favourite Culture novels, so so good!

If you haven't dipped into his non-genre fiction then you really should. The Wasp Factory is a stunningly excellent debut and as far as I have read he hasn't released a bad book.

MrNovember wrote:Next up are Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The City & the City.

On a pretty big Dick binge at the moment, Androids is a great one. I would try to not think about Blade Runner when reading it as they are quite different. I work with people who read and hated it because it was different and it's always a shame that people don't get to appreciate one of the finest authors (of any genre) of the 20th century because of that.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:51 am

Dapper Bandit wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Just finished Use of Weapons, absolutely LOOOOOVED it.

One of my favourite Culture novels, so so good!

If you haven't dipped into his non-genre fiction then you really should. The Wasp Factory is a stunningly excellent debut and as far as I have read he hasn't released a bad book.

Yeah I've read the wasp factory and the crow road, really enjoyed both. So far haven't read a book of his I haven't enjoyed a lot.
Dapper Bandit wrote:
MrNovember wrote:Next up are Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The City & the City.

On a pretty big Dick binge at the moment, Androids is a great one. I would try to not think about Blade Runner when reading it as they are quite different. I work with people who read and hated it because it was different and it's always a shame that people don't get to appreciate one of the finest authors (of any genre) of the 20th century because of that.

That's interesting, I did it the other way round (book to film) and after a short time I just accepted it was something extremely different and watched. Can't say I enjoyed it as much as the book but I pretty much always do with any book/film conversion.

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:52 am

Dapper Bandit wrote:On a pretty big Dick binge at the moment

Also TWSS

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:53 am

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby morange » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:58 am

Man, check out The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. That one really sticks with me, think about it often. Especially with Elon Musk in the news. That guy is essentially Palmer Eldritch pre-stigmata and trip to Proxima Centauri.
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby morange » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:05 am

A vampire pretending to be a normal human is discovered by Earth's alien overlords and exiled.
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:17 am

morange wrote:A vampire pretending to be a normal human is discovered by Earth's alien overlords and exiled.

Is that a book or a scientology pamphlet ? :)
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:42 am

Dapper Bandit wrote:

Good to know, I've heard it was a very different story so I was planning on going in with an open mind.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:44 am

Starting this tonight. My family bought it for me as Christmas gift a few years ago (I had to have asked for it, there is no way they would have looked into this sort of thing :lol:)
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 am

PeteeBee wrote:Yeah I'm also 28 and Harry and the gang was my exact age as each book came out. Like he was supposed to be 8 when I was 8, 9 in the next book and so on. I wasn't into it as a youth but enjoy the movies now that I have kids and watch them with my wife who loves them.

Anyone have a favorite books by Chester Himes? I went to go get something of his from the library today but couldn't make it downtown.

Not a favorite of mine necessarily, but the Harlem Domestic Series is pretty cool. Blind Man with a Pistol gets a lot of love.

Haven't read a lot of Himes, but I have a colleague who is a scholar/fanboy of Himes and that whole genre. That's what he recommended just now.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion