What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby oscillateur » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:40 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:I read Sourdough on the train this morning, it was a delight!! Very of the moment and trendy topic of course, but it was a really warm story and strange enough to be interesting. Will definitely check out his other books.

Wow. that was fast. Both getting the book and reading it :). I've just read two of Robin Sloan's books (the other being Mr Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore) and really liked both.

Any specific Culture books recommendation ?
I've read Look To Windward, and I bought Use of Weapons just before getting a kindle and never finished it (it's just a big book and I can't carry that during the day). I guess what felt weird to me with this one when I started it would be "normal" now that I've read a few others from the series so I might just get the kindle version too...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dapper Bandit » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:05 am

They're all good, is the problem! I really like Consider Phlebas, personally but you really can't go wrong. As for the weirdness, Banks can get pretty far out sometimes but the quality of the writing holds it all together.

Just starting The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville, only read Railsea so interested to see how it goes.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:36 am

Last days of new Paris is a good one. If you like that, definitely check out The City & The City.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:42 am

D.o.S. wrote:Last days of new Paris is a good one. If you like that, definitely check out The City & The City.

I really liked the City & the City, so I'll have to add Last Days of New Paris to the list.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby odontophobia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:11 am

China Mieville is pretty fucking great.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:46 am

Rereading the Broken Earth trilogy.
Fifth Season is so fucking good.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:36 pm

oscillateur wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:I read Sourdough on the train this morning, it was a delight!! Very of the moment and trendy topic of course, but it was a really warm story and strange enough to be interesting. Will definitely check out his other books.

Wow. that was fast. Both getting the book and reading it :). I've just read two of Robin Sloan's books (the other being Mr Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore) and really liked both.

Any specific Culture books recommendation ?
I've read Look To Windward, and I bought Use of Weapons just before getting a kindle and never finished it (it's just a big book and I can't carry that during the day). I guess what felt weird to me with this one when I started it would be "normal" now that I've read a few others from the series so I might just get the kindle version too...

Yes, the beauty of ebooks and long train rides! :lol:

I haven't read all of the culture books but I really loved Player of Games and Use of Weapons in particular.

Dapper Bandit wrote:Iain Banks was truly a national treasure, his non-genre fiction is as good as, if not better than his Culture series. That said, Use of Weapons could be a real career highlight.

Yes, absolutely. Only read 2 or 3 of his non sf books but they've been very good.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:11 pm

I've got a couple of non-fiction books about music coming on interlibrary loan: the autobiography of Jorma Kaukonen of the Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna, and the memoir by Brix Smith Start of the Fall. both promise to be intriguing.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby oscillateur » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:06 pm

I started reading the second book of The Expanse. I had forgotten that while the story and characters are globally great the writing style is... not great :). Still, enjoyable reading.

I'll get Use of Weapons for my kindle too, there's no way I can read the paper book these days. Kinda sucks to have to buy it twice though.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bassist_Diver » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Upping my bread game:

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dapper Bandit » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:23 am

That bread book looks amazing, need to look at getting some more cook books soon.

Finished Last Days... and my expectations were thoroughly exceeded! Railsea was a bit of a meh experience for me, a quality reimagining of Moby Dick but it didn't really blow my socks off beyond that but this book was very much it's own thing. Got some stuff out from the library at the moment but once those are finished a dive through my book shelves may be in order to drag some more Mieville to the front of the queue. Might have The City & The City but I'm more certain of Perdido Street Station and possibly Rat King. Would either of these be a better jumping off point than others?

Anyway, next up is Legoland by Gerard Woodward, looks like fun.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Which of those would be best depending on your tastes! I've not read Last Days... but I would probably recommend City to most people out of those three if I wanted to convince them. It's a good book, tightly written, interesting story. King Rat is not one of my favourites of his for whatever reason. It was definitely good and full of interesting ideas but it felt a bit less polished, I found some of the use of jungle music (which it's not much of a spoiler to say is prominent) a bit corny. Perdido Street is great, and I like all the Bas Lag books a lot. Again, partially because of world-building, but the plot and characters in those are better/darker/more interesting than in Railsea.

I mostly agree about Railsea, it was one of those books where I enjoy the imagination and world-building enough to justify a less than perfect story and characters. So overall I enjoyed it, but I'm pretty tolerant to that sort of thing if I find a book interesting.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:21 pm

Best shihizzle I can remember reading on/for halloween....
Last edited by Dandolin on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Dandolin wrote:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51oVF7yZDJL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Best shihizzle I can remember teading on/for halloween....

That sounds wild, adding that to my list!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Dandolin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Yeah, it's a mind-bender :D
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion